Is Diet Coke actually Satan?

Hypsibius
Hypsibius Posts: 207 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I've always had a suspicion that Diet Coke and diet beverages in general probably weren't that great for me.

But lately, a number of articles / studies are claiming it does all kind of crazy things to our internal chemistry and and even metabolism. It's slowly killing you) -- -- and just as associated with all the evils of obesity and poor diet.

But is it more ambiguous than that? Could it be it's just that people who drink Diet Coke are making decisions to consume more calories? Or are these artificial sweeteners really causing an insulin ambulance that makes you hungrier and slows your metabolism?

I'm interesting in cutting through a lot of the alarmist stuff that kids the news cycle. Sure, it may not be great for you -- but is this calorie-less beverage really affecting your bottom line and calories out if you're eating right and staying on track otherwise?

Not a huge fan of diet beverages anyway (I tend toward fruit juice and seltzer). But actually curious if these claims make any sense at all the folks here with their chops in nutrition and biology.

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

I drink of can of diet soda (not Diet Coke...I think it tastes like Satan) every night and it hasn't affected me a bit. It frees up calories for me to eat, but I still keep to a calorie deficit and lose weight.
  • ibamosaserreinas
    ibamosaserreinas Posts: 294 Member
    Short answer - no. (I do worry a little about my teeth and the enamel getting eaten away by carbonation...)

Giving up diet soda will not result in 10 pounds of weight loss like the internet a say...

Satan has horns right?!
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Typical family didn't actually read all the labels. Yes I was a diet soda person didn't matter if it was coke or pepsi. Then my daughter got her chemistry degree and does research. We have gone more organic and we don't touch any diet beverage or artificial sweetener.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    lol this is a troll thread right?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited June 2015
    I drink diet soda. It doesn't make me crave anything. I lose weight on a decent amount of calories (current 30 day average for loss is 1895 with loss averaging 1.2 lbs per week and I'm in the 135-140 lb range atm), so if I had to guess I'd say my metabolism is fine.

I've lost a lot of weight and I drink diet soda way more than I should. On average probably 6 cans a day. I'm working on cutting back a bit, but I don't see any reason for me to stop drinking it.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    No
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2015
    I always want to eat more, regardless of what I'm drinking. I just....don't. Anyone who also "just doesn't" will not gain weight from diet soda. The ones who might have that increased appetite or whatever and give in to it, or use it as an excuse to "dimpusize their meal for a quarter more" are the ones who will gain weight from it, but in the end, it's not the soda that's doing it. It's the food choices.

ETA: I don't know anything about whether it's killing us or not. Everyone's an idiot on the subject. Either you're an idiot who believes every alarmist thing the media tells them, or you're an idiot who doesn't listen to it. You can't win either way.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I wasn't aware Diet Coke was mentioned in the Bible as one of Satan's identities....

Anything in excess will kill you. Even too much water can kill you.

I don't think Diet Coke is the problem.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Which joke to go with, "hail Satan" or agree and see who notices my shirt. Decisions, decisions.
  • senecarr
    Replace all diet drinks with fruit juice. Let us know how that goes in 5 weeks, weight wise.
  • Ninkyou
    senecarr wrote: »
    Which joke to go with, "hail Satan" or agree and see who notices my shirt. Decisions, decisions.

Diet Coke =/= Coke Zero

lolz.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015

Love it! Coke Zero is my Favourite. I used to be a Pepsi person, believe it or not. I’d much rather discuss the finer points of which cola beverage best exemplifies all that is good about the refreshing fizziness and deep nuanced aroma.
  • senecarr
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Diet Coke =/= Coke Zero

lolz.
    So aspartame in one is satanic but holy in the other?
    Here, answers, scientific studies examined: http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Is it Satan? Nah, I don't think so. But I try not to drink it because when I do I sleepwalk and wake up my husband by blasting Stairway to Heaven. Damnedest thing.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Typical family didn't actually read all the labels. Yes I was a diet soda person didn't matter if it was coke or pepsi. Then my daughter got her chemistry degree and does research. We have gone more organic and we don't touch any diet beverage or artificial sweetener.

You'd think that an education in science would leave a person less inclined to be afraid of teh chemikillz.
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    My cousin smokes a pack a day but doesn't keep diet soda in her house because aspartame will kill you.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    randomtai wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.

While that may be true for you it doesn't follow that's the same case for everyone.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Diet Coke =/= Coke Zero

lolz.
    So aspartame in one is satanic but holy in the other?
    Here, answers, scientific studies examined: http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html

Pfffft, science. Shenanigans.