Please Share The Top 5 Things To Do To Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.
    But what do I know, I'm just a fatty, right?

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

No...I'm going to pick the person who is losing/has lost weight.

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

Because...they are not experienced in losing weight?

And experienced in gaining weight.
    I've never been overweight so I was always doing something right. And I have lost weight, not from being overweight though.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

hmmm I am a 176 pound male and I gain on 3000 calories….

pretty sure you were not eating that much as you are a female and smaller than me..

also how do you consume 3000 calories a day on a plant based diet…wait, i don't want to know that….

Hah, neither do I!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

then why did you say that ^
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

I've never been overweight so I was always doing something right. And I have lost weight, not from being overweight though.

Losing weight is the same process whether you're trying to lose 5 or 50 pounds. I don't see your point.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

But you would still be no help to me, considering the advice you've given on here.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

I'm sorry, but this is just false. You weren't counting calories properly. It's just not how the science works. Perhaps someone can post some good reading for you.

You can't tell me that I was doing something wrong. I know how to count calories. I have a scale and I can do math. And if you look at all the things in the past the "science" has proven and then we find out it was wrong or there is some new better way, you can be open minded to other things. Plus trying something for yourself is always the best way before you judge it. And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

good, please link us to the peer reviewed study where you can lose weight in a caloric surplus….

I'm curious to see what "journal" would publish it.

My guess is it would be a journal similar to the one that published this "study".

http://io9.com/i-fooled-millions-into-thinking-chocolate-helps-weight-1707251800

I never claimed that I'm basing it on science. I said I was basing it on experience.

And I know how to research, I have my degree in psychology and have been trained to find and analyze scientific articles.

thats a quote from you ..so yea you did say that.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for the OP, her thread got hijacked by one judgmental person so fast it never had a chance to have anything useful.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    i lost over 80lbs once just eating at a deficit. lol that doesnt work for me now that im older. On yes the food scale is very important, i need to find mine.

wut? you lost 80 pounds but that does not work for you????

lol Shhh.
    i like food more now.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for the OP, her thread got hijacked by one judgmental person so fast it never had a chance to have anything useful.
    Hey! BLT's and icecream are ALWAYS useful!
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

So then you’re saying you’re an outlier who defies the basic science of calories in/calories out, and everyone else can be an outlier as well?

That's actually one of the main criticisms of traditional psychology. That we ignore outliers, when we should be paying attention to them. Were supposed to be asking "What is that person doing right or wrong" to become so different. It allows us to explore new things, instead of just paying attention what is always happening.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

We have a winner.

lololol.

I love MFP bingo.

It was an easy bingo. The "You don't gain in a surplus on ---- diet " blacked out all four corners on my card.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    i lost over 80lbs once just eating at a deficit. lol that doesnt work for me now that im older. On yes the food scale is very important, i need to find mine.

wut? you lost 80 pounds but that does not work for you????

lol Shhh.
    i like food more now.

Nothing wrong with liking food. Even better, eating the food you like (just not overeating it).
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    Really guys? That is boring. Enjoy your boring calorie deficit life style, but saying that isnt helpful to people starting out.

How about...

1. Cardio, sweat your butt off!
    2. Eat clean fresh fruit and veggies with every meal and snack
    3. skip the high calorie drinks and enjoy a clod glass of water with some lemon or other fruit in it instead
    4. get proper sleep so you have the energy to be more active, so you can burn more calories through out the day
    5. The best exercise is the kind that doesnt feel like exercise. So sports, dancing, hikng etc.

1. Increases your calorie deficit
    2. Low calorie/high nutrient - Increases your calorie deficit
    3. Increases your calorie deficit
    4. Being more active increases your calorie deficit
    5. Exercise increases your calorie deficit

So, we're in agreement and you're just as 'boring' as everyone else.

well it was a boring read, thats for sure
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mgc.gif

based on your four point plan in this thread you really do not know anything about nutrition or science for that matter.

You did not even accurately track your own calories.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

So then you’re saying you’re an outlier who defies the basic science of calories in/calories out, and everyone else can be an outlier as well?

That's actually one of the main criticisms of traditional psychology. That we ignore outliers, when we should be paying attention to them. Were supposed to be asking "What is that person doing right or wrong" to become so different. It allows us to explore new things, instead of just paying attention what is always happening.

That's fine in psychology, not so much for topics based on the hard *giggity* sciences. Their rules aren't quite so bendy...
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options

Maybe, you actually look at outliers to explain the trend rather than disprove it. Just a thought...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i am off to eat some gelato, I will check back in in a few …

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    i am off to eat some gelato, I will check back in in a few …

Enjoy some for me.
  • ChantalGG
    Options
    I forgot what it was like to be on a calories deficit. lol
    im just waiting for see the people who fast four days a week show and see people freak out. lol
    ANyways what works for one person may not work for the next. Lets just hear each other out.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

Because how would they know how to lose excess weight?

I feel like I've stepped into a parallel universe somehow.
This discussion has been closed.