Please Share The Top 5 Things To Do To Lose Weight

Options

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Very simple and there is only 1 way to lose weight and that is to Eat at a calorie deficit.
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy than
    1: Eat at a calorie deficit.
    2: Exercise
    3: Eat clean and fresh foods
    4: Weigh and measure all your food even your drinks
    5: Repeat steps 1 through 4
    I wish you all much success with your journey
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.
    But what do I know, I'm just a fatty, right?

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

Hi Natalie I'm the other fatty you were refering to. I'm guessing you're in your 20's...right? Well, when I was in my 20's I was 125 pounds and ran 5 miles a day and could eat whatever I wanted (including animals) and did not gain wait. But you're gonna find life happens and when you're 45 like me hopefully you'll be just as skinny as you are right now. But asking the fatty advice on how to lose weight is a smart choice because we've done every diet in the book.

And you know what iit comes down to.

1. Calorie deficit
    2. Calorie deficit
    3. Calorie deficit
    4. Calorie deficit
    5. Calorie deficit

Everything else that has been mentioned is simply there to help us stay on a diet and make us be healthier individuals. And by the way you're also talking to a whole foods (clean eating) nut but does that make me lose weight....NO.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    i am off to eat some gelato, I will check back in in a few …

I've got some Tillamook in the freezer.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Very simple and there is only 1 way to lose weight and that is to Eat at a calorie deficit.
    If you want to lose weight and be healthy than
    1: Eat at a calorie deficit.
    2: Exercise
    3: Eat clean and fresh foods
    4: Weigh and measure all your food even your drinks
    5: Repeat steps 1 through 4
    I wish you all much success with your journey

I'm healthy and don't eat just "clean" and fresh foods. I'm not knocking clean eating, but don't imply that anyone who doesn't eat that way is unhealthy.
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I think it's time for this gif since we've obviously exited the land of basic science and entered the realm of....
    mgc.gif

You can say that all you want but you never actually know until you try. I thought it sounded absurd at first but instead of declaring it magic I actually tried it and it worked. I found out for myself.

Yeah...no. Science disagrees with you. As do I. The scenario you're describing is literally impossible.

I didn't say you were a fatty. I'm just pointing out that if you are going to go to someone on advice to lose weight, your probably going to pick the thinner/ fitter person. It's not rude, it's just smart.

No...I'm going to pick the person who is losing/has lost weight.

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

Because...they are not experienced in losing weight?

And experienced in gaining weight.
    I've never been overweight so I was always doing something right. And I have lost weight, not from being overweight though.

based on your four point plan in this thread you really do not know anything about nutrition or science for that matter.

You did not even accurately track your own calories.

It's interesting that you've just decided that you know what I know and don't know and what I did and didn't do all the way from your computer screen. I forgot you spent the last few years of my life watching my every move as I count my calories on a daily basis, making sure I'm doing it accurately. Missed that one.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    ahhh. im getting some sherbert too. lol This is a good read. Ill be back.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Eat in a manner that increases satiety, is nutritionally complete and is long term sustainable, for me:

1) enjoyable, high in variety of nutrient rich, low convenience, food
    2) increased protein for satiety, and sufficient fats
    3) flexible and in tune with my social environment, including experimenting new foods and testing eating styles
    4) structured in a manner so that I can assure a calorie deficit, either by strict tracking or from *learned* experience
    5) aligned with my fitness goals to feed my training

CICO is the master, the above is my path to meeting it and sustaining it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    <---this fatty's munching on hot buttered popcorn
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more...okay, only two needed.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Okay, well I have some credibility. I lost all the weight I wanted and have kept it off for 2.5 years. Here are my rules:
    1. Eat at a calorie deficit.
    2. Find activity that you like and can sustain.
    3. Don't eat anything you don't like.

That's pretty much it.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

Why not the person who has always been thin that has never gotten to the point of being over weight in the first place?

I've never been overweight so I was always doing something right. And I have lost weight, not from being overweight though.

Why does every young person think they have all the answers?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    mgc.gif

based on your four point plan in this thread you really do not know anything about nutrition or science for that matter.

It's interesting that you've just decided that you know what I know and don't know and what I did and didn't do all the way from your computer screen. I forgot you spent the last few years of my life watching my every move as I count my calories on a daily basis, making sure I'm doing it accurately. Missed that one.

The alternative is to believe you defy physics because... you eat plants.

Are you magic or are the 3000 calories of plants magic? I think you're arguing that the plants are magic, since if we'd just try it, we'd see, magic exists in nature.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    mgc.gif

Are you magic or are the 3000 calories of plants magic? I think you're arguing that the plants are magic, since if we'd just try it, we'd see, magic exists in nature.

Perhaps she's smoking the plants?

• myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I realise this is probably too late to save, but

5 things that may help you maintain a calorie deficit:

1. weigh and log your food
    2. Understand what your BMR/TDEE is
    3. Weight lift to maintain muscle mass (this will mean you won't go into devolving circles of eating less and less to lose weight.)
    4. Follow a plan that is sustainable for you (restrictive diets have an overall negative effect on some people, I'm sure the psychologist amongst us will understand.)
    5. Make sure you're getting adequate nutritients/vitamins/amino acids so you have the energy to live and enjoy your life
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    mgc.gif

Perhaps she's smoking the plants?

Seconded!
  • 4thhorseman
    4thhorseman Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my pre-deployment, injury free life I maintained a weight of 235-242 and kept my BF under 15%. It seems as though everyone is looking for a complicated answer and it's really not complicated at all. Depending on your lifestyle and schedule you may have time for a variety of activities, however, my life is rather full so I want to burn fat quickly and efficiently. DIET, DIET, DIET if you're not spending more time on your diet (at least in the beginning) then you are in the gym you're doing it wrong. Don't go on a diet change yours, if your diet is right you only need about 90 minutes a week in the gym to keep the fat burned off. If you're a mass monster like myself and want to build 3-4 hours a week in the gym will do it. Eat six times a day (much easier then it sounds) to keep the furnace stoked and BE PATIENT AND COMMITTED. KEEP THINGS SIMPLE, if you really want to motivate yourself take a picture of yourself mostly naked every 30 days. You tend not to see the changes in your body but will be shocked at what you can see in pictures as you progress
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    @nataliecatalie00 Since you're obviously far superior in your diet knowledge, perhaps you'd enlighten us dull fatties how "no animal products" and "smoothie every morning for breakfast" can make us all skinny.

I didn't say I was superior, that's your perception. I've eaten 2500 to 3000 calories and lost and maintained weight with minimal exercise. A lot of people aren't willing to do that, and at first I was scared to do it as well but if your only eating natural plant based foods, when it comes down to it, you don't have to have a calorie deficit.

I have a couple 250+ lb vegetarian/vegan friends who would heavily disagree with that statement.

Just because they are vegan means there healthy. I'm talking about natural plant based foods...not from a package. If you eat foods such as fruit, veggies, nuts, and such.

So if you eat at a calorie surplus, but it's fruits/veggies/nuts "and such"...you won't gain weight?!

Yup. And its not just a "I have good metabolism" because when I was in my teens I ate the typical weight loss diet of lean meat, yogurt, and some fruits and veggies with a calorie deficit and I was never over weight but I weighed more than I do now.

Omg just came into this thread and it totally delivers.
  • nataliecatalie00
    nataliecatalie00 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If no one is open to trying something new that doesn't require you to eat a diet where you have to restrict your calories then thats fine. Bash it all you want but at the end of the day I'm not the one that ever got myself into the position of being over weight. I'm the one that has always been fit, lean, and healthy. I'm the one that doesn't fill their body with animal carcass and puss from cow milk. I'm the one thriving on cruelty free, plant based all natural food that wakes up in the morning and slips on a size 2.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    ChantalGG wrote: »
    i lost over 80lbs once just eating at a deficit. lol that doesnt work for me now that im older. On yes the food scale is very important, i need to find mine.

wut? you lost 80 pounds but that does not work for you????

lol Shhh.
    i like food more now.

Nothing wrong with liking food. Even better, eating the food you like (just not overeating it).

i love food :)
    im creating different salad dressing, with different vinegars and spices and im enjoy them so much.
    i was rasied of frozen processed stuff so real food for me taste better.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I realise this is probably too late to save, but

5 things that may help you maintain a calorie deficit:

1. weigh and log your food
    2. Understand what your BMR/TDEE is
    3. Weight lift to maintain muscle mass (this will mean you won't go into devolving circles of eating less and less to lose weight.)
    4. Follow a plan that is sustainable for you (restrictive diets have an overall negative effect on some people, I'm sure the psychologist amongst us will understand.)
    5. Make sure you're getting adequate nutritients/vitamins/amino acids so you have the energy to live and enjoy your life

ill cosign that ...
This discussion has been closed.