Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    mwyvr wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    I drink Diet Coke, it does not make me want to eat more, nor does it make me want more sweets.

While that may be true for you it doesn't follow that's the same case for everyone.

FTFY

FTFY.

Artificial sweeteners may increase weight gain or slowc weight loss in some individuals because poorer choices are made elsewhere in their diets, or because they become our remain addicted to sweetened foods and consume more such foods with caloric impact. Affect all? No, but for sure some.

As for physical impacts it's early days but sufficient research exists to warrant caution.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/health/artificial-sweeteners-linked-to-obesity-epidemic-scientists-say-1.2769196

The thing about found "links" is... if you plot the amount of people swimming on a graph together with the amount of ice cream sales, you can clearly see that they are linked. What you can't tell from that is: Does swimming cause people to buy ice cream? Does buying ice cream cause people to swim? Does something else cause both of them?

That's all a link is. Showing that two different things are happening at the same time, you can't tell whether one causes the other or an unknown third thing causes both, or if it's just coincidence.
    And news articles are notorious as all hell in throwing that out the window because headlines like "Research shows: X may cause Y!!!" are more interesting.
  • kvcreed
    kvcreed Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Nope. Satan is a mythical figure appearing in the texts of the Abrahamic religions. Diet Coke is a soft drink.
    Lies, Diet coke is pop.

Or rock, seeing it makes jemhh play 'Stairway to heaven'...

But seriously, all of these articles are from a non verified source, could well be cherry picking and none of them can claim to be peer reviewed.
    Here, however, is a peer reviewed article: Magnuson BA; Burdock GA; Doull J et al. (2007). Aspartame: a safety evaluation based on current use levels, regulations, and toxicological and epidemiological studies.Critical Reviews in Toxicology 37 (8): 629–727. (Find t yourself. The the problem with scientific journals is, well...not always online)

Is diet soda bad for you? Yes, just like everything else is if you eat/drink absolutely horrendously stupid amounts of it. Does it make your body crave sweets? No, because your metabolic system doesn't have tastebuds.
    Does it make you fat? No, eating too much and moving too little makes you fat. The 'seven year thing' is easy to debunk, as correlation does not equal causation. Does it slowly kill you...? Yes. But then, so does saliva. I have if on a verified source that everyone who ingests saliva dies in the end!

I however claim that Coke is more likely to be Satan than Pepsi. In red cans and all, y'know...
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I always want to eat more, regardless of what I'm drinking. I just....don't. Anyone who also "just doesn't" will not gain weight from diet soda. The ones who might have that increased appetite or whatever and give in to it, or use it as an excuse to "dimpusize their meal for a quarter more" are the ones who will gain weight from it, but in the end, it's not the soda that's doing it. It's the food choices.

ETA: I don't know anything about whether it's killing us or not. Everyone's an idiot on the subject. Either you're an idiot who believes every alarmist thing the media tells them, or you're an idiot who doesn't listen to it. You can't win either way.

Fabulous
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    DIET Coke comes in silver cans. Therefore, REGULAR Coke is Satan.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I've never seen a can of Diet Coke playing the violin.

I think there can be a compensation effect with diet drinks along the lines of "oooh, I'm being virtuous, let me supersize my meal now."
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yes Diet Coke is Satan, that is why I only drink Diet Pepsi.

• Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »
    My cousin smokes a pack a day but doesn't keep diet soda in her house because aspartame will kill you.
    I peed a little I was laughing so hard. I know people just like your cousin. Their rationale I can give up Diet Pop, but i'm addicted to cigarettes.

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This is why I drink beer ;)
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I love diet coke and have never noticed any ill effects from it. But clearly there are those disagree.

oz47brjkkmjp.jpg
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    /serious face
    When I stopped drinking Diet Coke, I felt better. Maybe because I was ingesting liquid Evil. If you can tolerate liquid Evil, OP, drink away.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Twenty years ago, when I first switched from full sugar Pepsi to Diet Pepsi, I lost 5-10 pounds. I drank nothing but Diet Pepsi since then and never got about 200 pounds (at 6 feet with more than average muscle mass that's not too bad).

About 2-3 months ago, I switched to water only. While I don't believe diet soda is as bad for me as regular soda, I'd rather not accept the risks associated with it. As far as I know none of the reported risks are proven.

It is possible that artificial sweeteners increase appetite. For me cutting back on artificial sweeteners did not appear to have any noticeable effect.

The benefits of drinking just water for me have been mostly convenience, cost and better sleep. The better sleep was due to eliminating caffeine from my diet. I don't know if there will be long term health benefits from not drinking diet soda (reduced tooth decay maybe?).
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Isn't this an episode of Southpark?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    lol this is a troll thread right?

Well, it IS Friday.

• earlnabby
    Options
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    I've always had a suspicion that Diet Coke and diet beverages in general probably weren't that great for me.

But lately, a number of articles / studies are claiming it does all kind of crazy things to our internal chemistry and and even metabolism. It's slowly killing you) -- -- and just as associated with all the evils of obesity and poor diet.

But is it more ambiguous than that? Could it be it's just that people who drink Diet Coke are making decisions to consume more calories? Or are these artificial sweeteners really causing an insulin ambulance that makes you hungrier and slows your metabolism?

I'm interesting in cutting through a lot of the alarmist stuff that kids the news cycle. Sure, it may not be great for you -- but is this calorie-less beverage really affecting your bottom line and calories out if you're eating right and staying on track otherwise?

Not a huge fan of diet beverages anyway (I tend toward fruit juice and seltzer). But actually curious if these claims make any sense at all the folks here with their chops in nutrition and biology.

You basically answered your own question in the bolded above. Some are sensitive to the artificial sweeteners and should avoid them, most are not. For the majority of people, it is simply a matter of taste and where they want to spend their calories. I drink diet soda because I prefer the taste (I also much prefer Pepsi over Coke) and I would rather eat my calories.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've always had a suspicion that Diet Coke and diet beverages in general probably weren't that great for me.

But lately, a number of articles / studies are claiming it does all kind of crazy things to our internal chemistry and and even metabolism. It's slowly killing you) -- -- and just as associated with all the evils of obesity and poor diet.

But is it more ambiguous than that? Could it be it's just that people who drink Diet Coke are making decisions to consume more calories? Or are these artificial sweeteners really causing an insulin ambulance that makes you hungrier and slows your metabolism?

I'm interesting in cutting through a lot of the alarmist stuff that kids the news cycle. Sure, it may not be great for you -- but is this calorie-less beverage really affecting your bottom line and calories out if you're eating right and staying on track otherwise?

Not a huge fan of diet beverages anyway (I tend toward fruit juice and seltzer). But actually curious if these claims make any sense at all the folks here with their chops in nutrition and biology.

Unfortunate thread title because you won't get focus on your questions.

From my point of view it is certainly more in the ambiguous camp. All those epidemiological studies? It's just likely that it's weakly associated with people that make poor dietary choices more often than people that are more conscious of their diet.

Is it bad? Not in normal use, but can be in high excess. (As can seltzer and fruit juice - in high excess it's to much cals, etc)

There is some new evidence on possible gut flora interactions but I'm finding it very very tenuous and the articles read so far are full of "magical" thinking.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    Yes Diet Coke is Satan, that is why I only drink Diet Pepsi.

Cosigned

• PeachyCarol
    edited June 2015
    Options

From my point of view it is certainly more in the ambiguous camp. All those epidemiological studies? It's just likely that it's weakly associated with people that make poor dietary choices more often than people that are more conscious of their diet.

Is it bad? Not in normal use, but can be in high excess. (As can seltzer and fruit juice - in high excess it's to much cals, etc)

There is some new evidence on possible gut flora interactions but I'm finding it very very tenuous and the articles read so far are full of "magical" thinking.

I love when you post exactly what I'm thinking when I can't find the words for it first thing in the morning.

Lately my diet drink of choice has been diet Dr. Pepper. Funny thing, though. I don't drink much at all a day. We've been buying the 20 ounce bottles and one has been lasting 4-5 days. We don't really drink diet sodas as a beverage, just as a little hit of something sweet. When I'm thirsty, I chug water.

• earlnabby
    Options

I love when you post exactly what I'm thinking when I can't find the words for it first thing in the morning.

Lately my diet drink of choice has been diet Dr. Pepper. Funny thing, though. I don't drink much at all a day. We've been buying the 20 ounce bottles and one has been lasting 4-5 days. We don't really drink diet sodas as a beverage, just as a little hit of something sweet. When I'm thirsty, I chug water.

LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper but it is harder to find the caffeine free stuff. Almost impossible to get caffeine free Diet Mountain Dew unless it is in the 2 liter, which is so much more than I would drink before it goes flat. (I am sensitive to caffeine so I have my one cup of coffee in the morning and no more unless I have a cup of tea)

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

LOVE Diet Dr. Pepper but it is harder to find the caffeine free stuff. Almost impossible to get caffeine free Diet Mountain Dew unless it is in the 2 liter, which is so much more than I would drink before it goes flat. (I am sensitive to caffeine so I have my one cup of coffee in the morning and no more unless I have a cup of tea)

For months, my mom couldn't find the 6-pack bottles of CF Diet Pepsi (all she drinks) anywhere. She had to resort to cans, which she doesn't care for. They finally showed back up in April when Pepsi shrunk them all from 24-ounces to 16.9.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Wait.

Caffeine free diet Dr. Pepper actually EXISTS?!?!?!?!?! That's like a mythical unicorn of happiness.

I've never even seen it.

The caffeine is one of the reasons I don't drink a lot of it, I have to watch how much of that stuff I get thanks to my migraines.

When I drink diet Canada Dry, I tend to have a bit more than 3-4 ounces. Sometimes quite a bit more.