I need more help

Options
I want to lose more weight but my wife/family are not supportive. They keep bringing in food (sweets) that I have not been able to resist and am therefore eating them. When I am out of the house I have no problem with my diet. However every time I go into the kitchen I am reaching for the wrong items. My wife says that she gets these deserts on sale and so she thinks that she is saving money. I keep pointing out that you are not saving money because we are eating them (mostly me). I am at the point where I just try to avoid the kitchen altogether.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be critical - just an observation.

From your description in your post, you're putting all of the blame on your wife, your family, the food, etc.

I think many of us will agree, to be successful, you need to stop playing the blame game, and focus on the one person you DO have control over. Yourself.

I understand it's hard to avoid sweets, but it's not impossible. Next time you find yourself reaching for one, pause just for a moment. Pre-log it into MFP and see if you can fit it in your goals. If yes, go ahead and have it. If not. STOP. You do have control over your actions.
  • KAWittler1970
    KAWittler1970 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sorry as a wife i am guilty of doing that to but my justification is that the kids like to have a treat unfortunately me or my husband help them out to much.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Self control....
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    You could take responsibility for your decision to eat the stuff. That might work.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Look at the calorie amount on the box/search in MFP to find out calorie amount. Will this fit into your daily calories? If not, don't eat it.
    And if you are the *only* one eating these sweets, then start throwing them in the trash as soon as they come in the house. If other people eat them, then move the sweets into a cupboard that *you* never use or somewhere out of sight so you won't be tempted when you walk into the kitchen.
    And start doing the grocery shopping yourself. Your wife won't buy sweets if she isn't the one going to the store.
  • Teuthida
    Teuthida Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    She might not buy them anymore if they are just sitting there, rotting, and being uneaten. Not really saving money if buying them means they go to waste. Just don't eat them.
  • extacymoon
    extacymoon Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    As a wife that has a family who is not watching what they eat I am the one that buys the treats for everyone else. It is all about deciding you are committed to your weight loss. It is all about will power. Yes it is tempting and sometimes it is ok to treat yourself. Like one person said if you can fit it into your calories then eat it and don't worry. If you can't fit it in have it another day where you can fit it in.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You could take responsibility for your decision to eat the stuff. That might work.

+1. Sorry, but in the end, no one is forcing it down your throat. You're going to have to learn some self control at some point in your life.:)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I want to lose more weight but my wife/family are not supportive. They keep bringing in food (sweets) that I have not been able to resist and am therefore eating them. When I am out of the house I have no problem with my diet. However every time I go into the kitchen I am reaching for the wrong items. My wife says that she gets these deserts on sale and so she thinks that she is saving money. I keep pointing out that you are not saving money because we are eating them (mostly me). I am at the point where I just try to avoid the kitchen altogether.

I've found that logging diligently helps crystalize thinking about treats. If you eat a sweet, log it. If you go over your calories, you know what helped put you over. You'll think a little harder next time you reach for the sweet, and maybe make adjustments so you can have it.

Then again, what would happen if you don't eat the sweets? Would they just sit there or would someone else have them?
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    This is not meant to be critical - just an observation.

From your description in your post, you're putting all of the blame on your wife, your family, the food, etc.

I think many of us will agree, to be successful, you need to stop playing the blame game, and focus on the one person you DO have control over. Yourself.

I understand it's hard to avoid sweets, but it's not impossible. Next time you find yourself reaching for one, pause just for a moment. Pre-log it into MFP and see if you can fit it in your goals. If yes, go ahead and have it. If not. STOP. You do have control over your actions.

This!!!
  • CPhelps89
    CPhelps89 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with all the posters that say that self-discipline is the key, but I feel like you're really just frustrated with the lack of a support system at home. Have a sit down discussion with your wife (and later family) that you want her to be a key part of your support system and that while you love that she keeps the budget and bottom line in mind when she shops and that she's thinking of treating you when picking out treats, that having her encouragement in your journey and being open to a dialoge about choosing healthier foods not just as individuals but as a family unit would mean the world to you. Outside of that, I see that this is your first post, get out there and build a support system on MFP!! Friend all the people on this post and reach out to them for encouragement and to celebrate your victories!!
  • Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on! My only real advice is to talk to your wife, and ask her to actually support you in it. Don't demonize food. A little treat ONCE IN A WHILE is nice, so don't just cut it out completely. Changing your eating habits can help your family, too! Surely they want to eat better? That's what I did for mine. We all eat more vegetables now, and drink more water. We still have a sprite, or a cookie once in a while. I don't want to deny my child things that I was allowed when I was younger. (I was actually a very thin child! /fume) Moderation is the key to happiness, AND healthiness, in our case! That being said...

545709748537016035_1427821322.jpg

Have some motivation! =D
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    CPhelps89 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with all the posters that say that self-discipline is the key, but I feel like you're really just frustrated with the lack of a support system at home. Have a sit down discussion with your wife (and later family) that you want her to be a key part of your support system and that while you love that she keeps the budget and bottom line in mind when she shops and that she's thinking of treating you when picking out treats, that having her encouragement in your journey and being open to a dialoge about choosing healthier foods not just as individuals but as a family unit would mean the world to you. Outside of that, I see that this is your first post, get out there and build a support system on MFP!! Friend all the people on this post and reach out to them for encouragement and to celebrate your victories!!

Exactly.

One thing that has helped me (because I am seriously addicted to sugar), is to decide no refined sugar. A little bit is probably okay, but for me it's a slippery slope. I cannot eat just one. After I did this for a couple of weeks, I still have cravings, but not desperately. I do eat a ton of fruit, however.

A lot of things you can't quit cold turkey, but desserts are doable. I know the whole theory behind MFP is moderation and if it fits in your calorie allotment, it's okay. That wasn't working for me because a little bit made me want more and more and more. So, for me, having none is the only way to go (at least for now...)
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Definitely need to learn self-control. My family loves to eat "junk food" ... as a matter-of-fact we just had an 8 night Harry Potter movie marathon (7 books but 8 movies) and all 8 nights my husband and daughter ate candy, LOTS of candy, like 3-4 movie sized boxes of candy every night (well they shared them but still that's a lot), the last night they bought 3 bags of cookies to share.... guess what? I didn't touch a single piece...not a single one! Because to me it wasn't worth it. So it can be done...
    BTW - every morning my husband woke up w/ a stomach ache... I'm not gonna lie, it kinda made me smile a little inside.
    Oh and in case you're wondering- my husband is really supportive of my weight loss and my desire to get fit. But he still buys all that stuff because he and the kids like it.
    Perhaps it's also because he knows I have a lot of will power.
    But honestly, I haven't asked him to stop buying the stuff, just because you're changing your life style doesn't mean everyone around you has to as well.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I agree is it about self control and not your wife's actions or responsibility. However, as your life partner she might be willing to make some changes. I'd suggest asking her if she'd buy fewer of them (so say only 1 box on sale instead of more) and if she'd consider either buying mini items (so instead of buying eg. regular size croissants she'd buy mini ones which are fewer calories per croissant) or if she'd be at least willing to bring home the least calorie one that's on sale. This way, at least if you want one... it's fewer calories and you might have an easier time.

You could try working your number of servings down... so if you'd usually eat 3... eat 2 next time... then 1... until you feel like you can go without.

Or as another poster suggested, you can start grocery shopping instead. OR ask her to bring home other items instead! Things that are lower cal but that you still find a treat. Like maybe some raspberries and low fat Cool Whip so you can still have something desserty and quick, but isn't going to result in you cutting out a meal later or blowing your goal.

Also try imagining what ELSE you COULD eat for the same calories. I know that helps me. I can look at a strudel and go "Oh em gee, for 360 calories I could have a steak for that amount! I like steak better... I shall have a steak instead".
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on!
    So, to be "supportive" must one be an enabler or otherwise minimize an adult's responsibility for his own choices? That would be an odd definition.

I'm on MFP because it's interesting and it's occasionally helped me learn where to apply my self control.

A person is responsible "to a certain extent" for his choices? If that "certain extent" is 100% then, yeah.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that the whole "my wife/husband/SO buys junk food and I choose to eat it, wah s/he's so unsupportive" thing is utter rubbish. When I was 55 pounds fatter, I ate more than my fair share of food, both "junk" and "health" foods. I decided that I wanted to lose weight so I made the conscious choice to limit my portions. Did my husband? Nope, not at all. Did that affect how much weight I lost? Nope, not at all.

Take responsibility for yourself or just quit now. Unless your wife is sitting on your chest and shoving desserts down your gullet, she has no blame in your choice to ingest too many calories. It's all on you.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    We're trying to change, but the world (and even our own families) don't always change with us. It is what it is - high-calorie, tempting foods exist and we're always going to be surrounded by them. We just have to learn to deal with it, and be responsible for what we choose to eat. While you work on that, can you ask your wife to keep her snacks in a certain spot in the house, out of plain view?
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I struggle with the "if it's in the house then I'll eat it" for certain foods.

How about, when you see the treats, put them in the cupboard. I find that I forget about them better that way. It doesn't help me when I'm emotional and craving food fulfillment, but it certainly does help me forget about them on an average day.

Case in point... If I leave a bag of doritos out on the counter, I'll grab a handful or two every time I walk by it. Sometimes, I'll just grab the whole damn bag.

If I put them in the cupboard - that bag lasts me weeks. I go in, take a few, put it away again.

I'd also sit down and talk to your wife. Are there treats that are not irresistable to you? Tell her that you are really struggling to get healthier, and would like her to consider buying those kinds instead - or putting them in the cupboard as soon as she gets home.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP?
    Making someone responsible for their own actions, is not being unsupportive. In fact, just the opposite. Hate to break this to you, but not everyone on MFP came to lose a ton of weight or are here because they lack self control. This is a FITNESS site. You might want to look into this before you go spouting off in the "mean people" direction.