I need more help

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

And I envy those of you with spouses and significant others..I am chronically single and thus have no one to blame my eating habits on. It's allll my fault!

Just go with the old classic - latent issues from your childhood. It's a good catchall when there's no one else handy to blame.

Or go with the current trend and just blame sugar.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    And I envy those of you with spouses and significant others..I am chronically single and thus have no one to blame my eating habits on. It's allll my fault!

You can blame the grocery store for carrying the goods!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Blame your debit card for permitting you to buy the food in the first place. Stupid card not effing knowing better than to decline the purchase of 3 pints of Talenti and a package of Double Stuf Oreos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOEA10Z.gif
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Peachiko87 wrote: »

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications?

Nope
    Or no family or friends support?

Nope...I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. I don't care what Mrs. ceo or my friends eat; they don't care what I eat.
    It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise.

On the contrary, I look forward to exercising
    Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*.

Agreed...which is why we suggested OP stop blaming everyone and everything else.
    How did you gain self control, what helped with it?

I gave one answer in my first post. Before I ate anything, I paused, and stopped to consider whether it would fit into my calorie and macro goals for the day. If it didn't I put it back.
    When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control?

When you start implementing them.
    If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

Done. So NOW can I have my gold "supportive" star?

fhhdoftdz0kg.jpeg

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications?

Nope
    Or no family or friends support?

Nope...I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. I don't care what Mrs. ceo or my friends eat; they don't care what I eat.
    It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise.

On the contrary, I look forward to exercising
    Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*.

Agreed...which is why we suggested OP stop blaming everyone and everything else.
    How did you gain self control, what helped with it?

I gave one answer in my first post. Before I ate anything, I paused, and stopped to consider whether it would fit into my calorie and macro goals for the day. If it didn't I put it back.
    When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control?

When you start implementing them.
    If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

Done. So NOW can I have my gold "supportive" star?

tumblr_mei017xLGW1rmwepjo1_400.png

I'm feeling a group hug coming on.

one more for the custom win...
    od83350a6ulo.jpg

See...this is why you get called out in the public acknowledgment thread!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

Just go with the old classic - latent issues from your childhood. It's a good catchall when there's no one else handy to blame.

I think I'm gonna go old school-Freudian-and blame my mother.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuHgTTrzb4Hzsp2deT1O4Rv9YtY8jgchhpJ82eCeNLT8fWholXRg
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    belfle wrote: »
    My husband will go to Sam's and buy the ginormous cakes, the next day, I pack it up and take it to work so the vultures will eat it. problem solved. after a while, he either needs to hide it or buy a single piece.

My husband would just go buy another cake...well not really he would asked me to make another one.

OP I am the one on MFP...I cook all the time...I mean all the time...pies, cakes, cheesecakes, sweet breads...you name it I cook it...ask @Liftng4Lis she's on my FL...

It's a choice...eat it or don't...if you choose to eat it...make it fit...otherwise stop blaming your wife.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say so, but you are the one eating them.

when you dont eat them, she will stop buying them. Or eat them her self

Its your journey not hers.
    And yes maybe she could help you more I dont know cant look into your marriage and life. Its non of my business anyway.

I am lucky my husband wouldn't want anything in the house when i would have problems with it. But i have not. So he can have all the candy/crisps or what ever he wants. I just dont eat it.
    And i loveeeeeee crisps. So in the last year i eat a couple...yes a couple! about 4 crisps i think. Just for the bite.
    But it doesn't do anything for me.

I want to lose this weight so i stay away from anything that can slow me down or what doesn't fit in my calorie allowance that day. When i would want a dessert...i would fit it in! simple as that.

So yes it is maybe harder because she buys those desserts, but you are an adult and you take the decision to eat them or not.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My husband brings home a lot of cookies & potato chips. I still have not mastered the art of not binge eating these two things (or jelly beans but he hates those).
    The only thing that keeps me in check is to think of them as his. I can't have any unless I ask for one.. I mentally make it akin to eating a co-worker's yogurt.
    Second thing I'll do is have plenty of my own snacks around that I really like so the other stuff really isn't as tempting when he's munching away in front of me.
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on!

I'm on MFP because it's interesting and it's occasionally helped me learn where to apply my self control.

That's great! Keep up the good work!

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications? Or no family or friends support? It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise. Quitting smoking. Limiting alcohol consumption. And yes, even putting that extra cookie down.

Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*. Yeah, you're 100% responsible for what you put in your mouth, but that doesn't make it easier when you have someone tempting you, someone who doesn't support you. It makes you feel like *kitten*. It makes you feel weak. Out of control. And that's why -I- am on MFP, because I have the will power to want to change my life, I can put that extra cookie down. NOW. At first, I couldn't. Food is life, after all! It's delicious! I've learned that moderation is key, and I must find a perfect balance. The OP asked for support, not to be judged, or given tactless advice.

Derp. Learn self control. Okay? How? Can anyone give details? How did you gain self control, what helped with it? Why do you think it helped for you? When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control? If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

I'm going to break with the rest and support your sentiments here. Self-control is important of course, but self-control and support are not mutually exclusive, indeed, they are complimentary. A prime example is that the people here who are boasting about self-control are, on this very thread, getting a lot of support about it.

A support system is important, and regardless of whether a given individual is able to practice enough "self-control" even in an unsupportive environment to eat less, it doesn't negate the importance of a supportive home environment for everyone else. And as for self-control, it's more than just being able to deny yourself calorie-filled sweets. Part of discipline is the ability to communicate effectively with those you share a home with about your goals, the reasons for your goals and how they can help. Self-control is being able to devise an effective communications strategy, the ability to plan for success with your loved ones and its execution. "Saying no" is only one form of self control, but it isn't the only form.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on!

I'm on MFP because it's interesting and it's occasionally helped me learn where to apply my self control.

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications? Or no family or friends support? It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise. Quitting smoking. Limiting alcohol consumption. And yes, even putting that extra cookie down.

Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*. Yeah, you're 100% responsible for what you put in your mouth, but that doesn't make it easier when you have someone tempting you, someone who doesn't support you. It makes you feel like *kitten*. It makes you feel weak. Out of control. And that's why -I- am on MFP, because I have the will power to want to change my life, I can put that extra cookie down. NOW. At first, I couldn't. Food is life, after all! It's delicious! I've learned that moderation is key, and I must find a perfect balance. The OP asked for support, not to be judged, or given tactless advice.

Derp. Learn self control. Okay? How? Can anyone give details? How did you gain self control, what helped with it? Why do you think it helped for you? When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control? If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

I'm going to break with the rest and support your sentiments here. Self-control is important of course, but self-control and support are not mutually exclusive, indeed, they are complimentary. A prime example is that the people here who are boasting about self-control are, on this very thread, getting a lot of support about it.

A support system is important, and regardless of whether a given individual is able to practice enough "self-control" even in an unsupportive environment to eat less, it doesn't negate the importance of a supportive home environment for everyone else. And as for self-control, it's more than just being able to deny yourself calorie-filled sweets. Part of discipline is the ability to communicate effectively with those you share a home with about your goals, the reasons for your goals and how they can help. Self-control is being able to devise an effective communications strategy, the ability to plan for success with your loved ones and its execution. "Saying no" is only one form of self control, but it isn't the only form.
    You're making up a lot of definitions for self-control and discipline there. You don't just get to list qualities you like and them name them as you wish so that they support whatever point you're trying to make, presuming you're trying to make a point.

Also, strawmen. I mean, who in this thread said self-control and support are mutually exclusive? Or that not stuffing your face was the only form of self-control? That there are other kinds of self-control does not in any way make a person not responsible for his choice to stuff his cakehole with cake.
  • deaniac83
    edited June 2015
    Options

You're making up a lot of definitions for self-control and discipline there. You don't just get to list qualities you like and them name them as you wish so that they support whatever point you're trying to make, presuming you're trying to make a point.

It in fact does take discipline to communicate effectively and get everyone on the same page. A great deal of it. Lots of people aren't able to do it because they lack the discipline to first gather their thoughts, find key arguments in support of their position and get others to support them in their quest. Control over one's own thoughts and actions, the way Miriam-Webster defines self-control, certainly doesn't only include the ability to self-deny, but when the necessary action is persuasion and explanation, that is also self-control.
    Also, strawmen. I mean, who in this thread said self-control and support are mutually exclusive? Or that not stuffing your face was the only form of self-control?

To answer your question, no one said those things out right. But I did find it curious that it (saying no) IS the form of self-control that advocates of self-control here gave lion's share of the attention to.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

It in fact does take discipline to communicate effectively and get everyone on the same page. A great deal of it. Lots of people aren't able to do it because they lack the discipline to first gather their thoughts, find key arguments in support of their position and get others to support them in their quest. Control over one's own thoughts and actions, the way Miriam-Webster defines self-control, certainly doesn't only include the ability to self-deny, but when the necessary action is persuasion and explanation, that is also self-control.
    Also, strawmen. I mean, who in this thread said self-control and support are mutually exclusive? Or that not stuffing your face was the only form of self-control?

To answer your question, no one said those things out right. But I did find it curious that it (saying no) IS the form of self-control that advocates of self-control here gave lion's share of the attention to.
    Maybe that's because in the context of eating or not eating, that's the one that's relevant.

• deaniac83
    Options

Maybe that's because in the context of eating or not eating, that's the one that's relevant.

And in the context of eating in a home environment, I think finding and making the right communications with others in that home is just as relevant.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    We just went on a snack shopping trip. Me and my husband.
    We bought in addition to our normal shopping some nice snacks for our self's and something we both loveeee

PISTACHIO ICE CREAM!!!

And he had already a portion. But i just wait till tonight....after dinner. A nice portion with some fruit yummie
    Nothing to it. I control it, make it fit in my calorie allowance and going to enjoy it...

What i mean to say is..he doesn't make me eat the ice cream...i do! And looking forward to it.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited June 2015
    Options

And in the context of eating in a home environment, I think finding and making the right communications with others in that home is just as relevant.
    If you think talking is just as relevant as not eating too many calories when it comes to losing weight, our premises are substantially different.

There is no level of communication breakdown that removes the responsibility for eating from the eater.

• deaniac83
    Options

If you think talking is just as relevant as not eating too many calories when it comes to losing weight, our premises are substantially different.
    When communicating effectively with one's loved ones about foods can help one reduce caloric intake, then in that case, yes, it is crucially relevant.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The point is that he may communicate as effectively as possible and just not end up having a house free of tempting snacks, for various reasons. So what is necessary is to figure out how to keep calories down despite that being the case. (Same for most of us, as most people probably face temptation they cannot control--whether at work, like I do, when shopping, going out to dinner for work-related obligations, whatever.) The idea that the be-all, end-all is avoiding temptation isn't realistic. You have to be able to say no to be successful, and not see the presence of food as some kind of irresistible road block.

Support is good. Support from one's spouse is good. Life is such that it's not always available, at least not always in precisely the form you might prefer. Recognizing that isn't being unsupportive.