DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on!

I'm on MFP because it's interesting and it's occasionally helped me learn where to apply my self control.

That's great! Keep up the good work!

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications? Or no family or friends support? It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise. Quitting smoking. Limiting alcohol consumption. And yes, even putting that extra cookie down.

Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*. Yeah, you're 100% responsible for what you put in your mouth, but that doesn't make it easier when you have someone tempting you, someone who doesn't support you. It makes you feel like *kitten*. It makes you feel weak. Out of control. And that's why -I- am on MFP, because I have the will power to want to change my life, I can put that extra cookie down. NOW. At first, I couldn't. Food is life, after all! It's delicious! I've learned that moderation is key, and I must find a perfect balance. The OP asked for support, not to be judged, or given tactless advice.

Derp. Learn self control. Okay? How? Can anyone give details? How did you gain self control, what helped with it? Why do you think it helped for you? When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control? If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

I'm going to break with the rest and support your sentiments here. Self-control is important of course, but self-control and support are not mutually exclusive, indeed, they are complimentary. A prime example is that the people here who are boasting about self-control are, on this very thread, getting a lot of support about it.

A support system is important, and regardless of whether a given individual is able to practice enough "self-control" even in an unsupportive environment to eat less, it doesn't negate the importance of a supportive home environment for everyone else. And as for self-control, it's more than just being able to deny yourself calorie-filled sweets. Part of discipline is the ability to communicate effectively with those you share a home with about your goals, the reasons for your goals and how they can help. Self-control is being able to devise an effective communications strategy, the ability to plan for success with your loved ones and its execution. "Saying no" is only one form of self control, but it isn't the only form.
    You're making up a lot of definitions for self-control and discipline there. You don't just get to list qualities you like and them name them as you wish so that they support whatever point you're trying to make, presuming you're trying to make a point.

It in fact does take discipline to communicate effectively and get everyone on the same page. A great deal of it. Lots of people aren't able to do it because they lack the discipline to first gather their thoughts, find key arguments in support of their position and get others to support them in their quest. Control over one's own thoughts and actions, the way Miriam-Webster defines self-control, certainly doesn't only include the ability to self-deny, but when the necessary action is persuasion and explanation, that is also self-control.
    Also, strawmen. I mean, who in this thread said self-control and support are mutually exclusive? Or that not stuffing your face was the only form of self-control?

To answer your question, no one said those things out right. But I did find it curious that it (saying no) IS the form of self-control that advocates of self-control here gave lion's share of the attention to.
    Maybe that's because in the context of eating or not eating, that's the one that's relevant.

And in the context of eating in a home environment, I think finding and making the right communications with others in that home is just as relevant.
    If you think talking is just as relevant as not eating too many calories when it comes to losing weight, our premises are substantially different.
    When communicating effectively with one's loved ones about foods can help one reduce caloric intake, then in that case, yes, it is crucially relevant.
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is his choice and his responsibility.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Wow, sure not a lot of supportive people here. @_@ If any of you had self control, then why are you even on MFP? I agree to a certain extent that you are responsible for what you put in your mouth, but if you have people practically throwing it in your face all the time.. Come on!

I'm on MFP because it's interesting and it's occasionally helped me learn where to apply my self control.

Now for the rest: Do you do everything on your own, like no medications? Or no family or friends support? It can be very hard doing something that is actually good for you. Like exercise. Quitting smoking. Limiting alcohol consumption. And yes, even putting that extra cookie down.

Different people have different struggles. Placing blame just makes you look like an *kitten*. Yeah, you're 100% responsible for what you put in your mouth, but that doesn't make it easier when you have someone tempting you, someone who doesn't support you. It makes you feel like *kitten*. It makes you feel weak. Out of control. And that's why -I- am on MFP, because I have the will power to want to change my life, I can put that extra cookie down. NOW. At first, I couldn't. Food is life, after all! It's delicious! I've learned that moderation is key, and I must find a perfect balance. The OP asked for support, not to be judged, or given tactless advice.

Derp. Learn self control. Okay? How? Can anyone give details? How did you gain self control, what helped with it? Why do you think it helped for you? When will I possibly see these changes to help gain self control? If you can't answer any of these, then you are not being supportive.

I'm going to break with the rest and support your sentiments here. Self-control is important of course, but self-control and support are not mutually exclusive, indeed, they are complimentary. A prime example is that the people here who are boasting about self-control are, on this very thread, getting a lot of support about it.

A support system is important, and regardless of whether a given individual is able to practice enough "self-control" even in an unsupportive environment to eat less, it doesn't negate the importance of a supportive home environment for everyone else. And as for self-control, it's more than just being able to deny yourself calorie-filled sweets. Part of discipline is the ability to communicate effectively with those you share a home with about your goals, the reasons for your goals and how they can help. Self-control is being able to devise an effective communications strategy, the ability to plan for success with your loved ones and its execution. "Saying no" is only one form of self control, but it isn't the only form.
    You're making up a lot of definitions for self-control and discipline there. You don't just get to list qualities you like and them name them as you wish so that they support whatever point you're trying to make, presuming you're trying to make a point.

It in fact does take discipline to communicate effectively and get everyone on the same page. A great deal of it. Lots of people aren't able to do it because they lack the discipline to first gather their thoughts, find key arguments in support of their position and get others to support them in their quest. Control over one's own thoughts and actions, the way Miriam-Webster defines self-control, certainly doesn't only include the ability to self-deny, but when the necessary action is persuasion and explanation, that is also self-control.
    Also, strawmen. I mean, who in this thread said self-control and support are mutually exclusive? Or that not stuffing your face was the only form of self-control?

To answer your question, no one said those things out right. But I did find it curious that it (saying no) IS the form of self-control that advocates of self-control here gave lion's share of the attention to.
    Maybe that's because in the context of eating or not eating, that's the one that's relevant.

And in the context of eating in a home environment, I think finding and making the right communications with others in that home is just as relevant.
    If you think talking is just as relevant as not eating too many calories when it comes to losing weight, our premises are substantially different.
    When communicating effectively with one's loved ones about foods can help one reduce caloric intake, then in that case, yes, it is crucially relevant.
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is his choice and his responsibility.

Oh oh oh I know I know pick me pick me! *waves hand around in the air*
  • deaniac83
    deaniac83 Posts: 166 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

There are actually 2 questions there, and my answer to each is as follows (both assumes no responsibility for anyone for the communication itself):
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is at least in part his choice and his responsibility.
    True.
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is entirely his choice and his responsibility.
    False.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

There are actually 2 questions there, and my answer to each is as follows (both assumes no responsibility for anyone for the communication itself):
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is at least in part his choice and his responsibility.
    True.
    True or false?: Regardless of how great or poor the household communication may be, whether food goes into his mouth or not is entirely his choice and his responsibility.
    False.
    Care to explain how another person made part of the choice or bears part of the responsibility for an adult's decision to eat too much? No, never mind. There's no point trying to find common ground with such an abdication of personal autonomy and moral agency.

• Jag7694
    Jag7694 Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I'm going to sympathize with you for a second. I once had the same problem. Now the only thing that has changed is my mentality. I used to think like you. Man if she would stop buying this crap but really it's man I am going to stop eating this crap. Make it a habit to read the label of everything. You'd be surprised how easy it is to put down a little Debbie cake with 450 calories.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

True.
    False.

Seriously?

If this were my husband I'd tell him to suck it up buttercup, I'm not force-feeding you with a funnel.