WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    SC Janet - if anyone should change her sign-on, it's latecomer me.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies

Pip - congratulations on your 1050 days of logging. I have great respect for all who have logged for several years, especially as I know how committed I had to be to make a year!!

For those that asked - I haven't tried the Leslie Sansone DVD that I bought - would have tried it today had I stayed home. Will have to try it tomorrow, its supposed to rain.

Off to bed - I am tired. Shopping with DH is kind of draining!!! He needs a list....eeeeekkkkk ... I will just go to bed now

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    JanetMMcC - I too feel I should change name. I'm for sure a newbie.

Also thanks for the shout out for this weeks' progress.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well I did it again. Found myself enjoying reading and forgot to take notes from everybody. I did some. I did write down all the newbies again.

Allison, I love the horoscope. It fits you like a glove.

Lisa, had to laugh about your description of your ex. Karma has truly hit him in the butt, and belly and head!

Mary, Minnesota, my CPAP is very quiet. I have read from several people from here and my MS forum about loud CPAPs, I guess I lucked out. Of course I have a sound machine. When we are in a hotel, my husbands snoring is SO loud I wouldn't be able to sleep without the sound machine. But I turn it off in the morning and sometimes forget to turn the CPAP. Later I will be in my bedroom and feel cool air on me and realize it is still on.

Peach, I am assuming the black dog is the one your a babysitting. He/she doesn't look very happy. He looks like he is wondering how much longer he has to tolerate that yappy pom.

Janet, Myrtle Beach, I must confess that I used to judge obese people, even though I was one also. But I judged the heavier ones. But after i started this journey and met some of you and read your rejoices of not having to wear 4 or 5x xlothes, I realized that that obese person I was judging might have just lost that 1st pound and would be doing the happy dance if she could. Or she may be so happy to be able to take a 2x pair of pants up to the cashier instead of a 4x. So no more judging for me. My MIL was trying to surprise me, my husband and another one of her sons with nice Christ,as presents. She had 4 children, 3 boys and a girl. Charlie is the oldest and Steve was the 2nd one. Well the 3rd son kind of wrote the entire family off very early on. And the youngest, the daughter, wrote her Mom off when she had to go in a nursing home and the facility had to take almost her entire SSI check. When MIL was in an apartment, government subsidized, Karen could talk her Mom into giving a lot of her check to her. So she hardly had anything to do with her Mom after that. She wouldn't even go see her when her Mom was dying. I hope I never see that woman again in my life.

JanetMMcC, WOW, doing the happy dance!!!!! Good job.

Heather in UK, love those grand kids. Michelle had a Raggedy Anne doll. I think I could qualify for being a plastic surgeon for the amount of times I had to sew that poor dolls head and limbs back on.

Evangelia, love that name, so beautiful. You must tell us about where you live. For most of us we only see Europe in books, movies and news. Plus Greece is so rich in history.

Nancy, so sorry your friend has chosen that life style. I know my own daughters get on me all the time when I am all gung ho about how many carbohydrates and calories I have to eat. They have to remind me all the time that this is my diet, not theirs. It's hard for me to listen to. I am their Mom. Maybe if I had done better while they were children, all of us wouldn't need to be on a diet.

Welcome to all of todays newbies, kathy, Kathleen, Kate, elizabeth, butterflylady, seonag, the other Heather, Lori and debbiemccan. You have all officially joined just by writing so come here often as you feel like it. Don't be intimidated by our chatter. Do what you can to let us know about yourselves. We are all in this together.

Well yesterday evening we noticed it was getting a little warm in the house. We put our thermostat at 72 and it was 75 although I didn't feel uncomfortable. So Charlie got up early, he wasn't sleeping anyway, and called our air conditioner guy. We must have some sort of leak because he put in 5 pounds of freon in. So the house is now back to a nice comfortable 72. It had got up to 80 in the house. I didn't want to call a guy in on the weekend, I said I was comfortable. Well I wasn't comfortable today. So I told Charlie that he was right. We only had to pay an extra $93 for him to come today and it was worth it. I was afraid it would be much worse. Our unit is only 5 years old so I hope it's not something major. I am going to try something tonight to try to put some pictures here. i am going to connect my iPad with it's charging cord to my desk top and see if the pictures will download to my computer.

Joyce K, Indiana

• Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this blog. I'm 60 and shocked myself by weighing in at 174 after seeing a picture of myself with my new granddaughter. UGH. I should weigh around 145-155 according to all the "charts." So I started "the military diet" on May 18 as well as signed up for Jazzercise. So far I have lost 7 lbs (and 2 inches in the waist!) and have been going to Jazz 3x a week. My original goal was to lose 10 pounds by the 4th of July! I have been pretty motivated so far and the exercise is actually improving my energy level and flexibility. I also gave up Diet Coke except for weekends (I had been a 3x a day girl) and have severely cut out artificial sweeteners. I'm hoping to stay motivated and get better control over my weekends.

Hi, Debbie. Welcome. That's a great start you've had already!
  • elizabeth50inCalifornia
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Elizabeth here again, thanks for all the warm welcomes. A little more about me, I am 50 and single. I have one daughter who is 28 and no grandchildren. I work in furniture sales so I walk 3 to 5 miles every day. I live in Bakersfield California. It is hot and dry and hot! I have tons of workout equipment and videos at home so I have no excuse for not working out. Today I had a fitness challenge from another web site to walk for just 10 minutes. I fully intended to do exactly that, no matter what. But by the time I got home from work I rationalized that I had already walked way more than that so I didn't need to do any more. I have managed to log in for 10 consecutive days, and I have only gone over my allotted calories once, and that was on my birthday, so I forgive me. ;) I know that support and accountability are crucial to my success. I won't always have time post but I have really enjoyed following the thread. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better. Welcome to all the other newcomers!

I prefer to be called Elizabeth, but lots of people call me whatever they want to and it doesn't bother me.

Have a great night.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Made it through to page 37.
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Made it through to page 37.
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm now settled in at the holiday home in northern Norway. The first day I turned over the soil in the garden and got seeds in the ground (radish, dill, arugula, carrot, various kinds of lettuce). A cruise ship passed by as I was working and I thought of Heather (in the UK).

I love this place! It's so peaceful and close to nature. It's a tiny hamlet of maybe 15 households right at the end of the public road, so there's no traffic except neighbors. All the houses are dotted along a narrow strip of semi-level land between the fjord and the mountains. Up behind our house there's a mountain spur where a pair of golden eagles nest. Sitting at breakfast yesterday I saw them circling in the upwinds, not far above the treetops. Today (again at breakfast) I spotted a ptarmigan *kitten* in the heath just beyond our tiny lawn. I grabbed the binoculars to get a close view, then saw movement at the foot of a birch. It was the hen, a few shades lighter and beautifully camouflaged. When she eventually moved off she revealed swarm of chicks, newly hatched, fluffy and clueless. Nothing looks more scatterbrained than a dozen ptarmigan chicks!

On Friday my husband and I had a good 2-hour walk on the footpath out to the point (where we can look North to the open Barents Sea) and then I jogged 6 km the other direction, along the gravel road. Norway's public roads have markers every half kilometer and that's really practical for us, living right at the end of the road. On my way out I get feedback on how far I've run, and when I turn around, the posts tell me how far I have left to go before I'm home again. Meanwhile, the scenery ain't half bad!

/Penny, still pretty near the Pole

mw9h98df9eb8.jpg
  • Lagopus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ha! At first, the site censored my totally innocent use of the correct term for a male gallinaceous bird, rewriting "*kitten*" as "*****". Would it have accepted cockerel? Do I really have to go all the way to rooster? Well, I assume you know what I mean...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,691 Member
    Options
    Penny~ beautiful ,beautiful
    slept well.. having a cup of tea.. and getting ready to grocery shop.. Lord give me strength lol
    I came home from work and there was a jar of jam out for the electrician on the counter, I said you giving Tony a jar, well ya... ok so guess who will be making more jam thursday.... he doesnt want me to give any away , but ....
    DH did the lawn today so that is nice.. one less thing I have to do....
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Lori - how fantastic! You are well on your way! Great commitment. :flowerforyou:

Nancy - once or twice I tried to help friends who asked me how I had done it. I gave them the info, even sent them calorie counting books, but they couldn't stick to it. Both continue to put on weight. I never mention it these days. A lot of my relatives are obese, some of them smoke, my brother is type 2, but, apart from idiotic theories and intermittent efforts, none of them even want to hear it. At one stage my severely overweight sister-in-law found it difficult even to be around me once I had lost the weight. That's ok now she is used to it. As Barbie said so well, food addiction is a real illness and our reasons for needing that drug are many and varied. I am naturally a food addict - I rarely think about much else for long :laugh: , but for the last few years I have found a way of controlling it with constant vigilance. But you have to WANT it for yourself. I just keep my mouth closed around fat people these days. I do feel sympathy for them as I remember feeling helpless around food. :ohwell:

Penny - I have just read Xenophobic's Guide to Norway. Very funny. You seem to have joined them in your love of the outdoors and all weathers! I have a travel guide arriving soon and a phrase book. It has a pronunciation guide as that seems to be difficult. I have done a bit of looking online. I know they speak English, but a few words can oil proceedings. :D I just wish it wasn't so long till I go. I will be there this time next year. :bigsmile:

Pushed myself through the exercising this morning. Phew! Humidity is high. Glad it's done so I can EAT with a clear conscience. We are having Tandoori Monkfish for dinner with a salad of garden veg and a yoghurt sauce. Yummyness incarnate!

Missed out on my writing this morning. I hereby commit to doing some this pm. :drinker: o:)

Love Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • blackcateddie
    blackcateddie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I'm amazed and delighted to see so many of you all supporting each other, I'm so envious I felt obliged to join in :)

I'm Sue, I'm 52 and live near Cambridge in the UK, I'm a recent convert to MFP and my fitbit which is taking some getting used to, but my main driver to join was finding myself looking at the next size up in jeans which I couldn't bring myself to buy!. I'm tall so most people think I'm slim but it's deceptive as years of yoga meant I stand up well and hide everything but I've had a couple of major accidents in the last few years which meant that I seem to have acquired 16lbs ( I know this doesn't sound a lot to some of you but I've spent 30 years not really moving from 147lbs)

I guess I found prom dress shopping with my size 6 ( UK sizing) daughter a little demanding and then I realized that the reason I've added the weight is that I'd stopped doing much in the way of exercise, I'd changed jobs and become desk bound and commuted have the day into London, which meant I was forever tired and curled up on a sofa.

Would love to get to know some of you, so please feel free to add me, particularly if you would share some decent recipes :) - somehow my cooking ability disappeared with the commuting and now I really struggle to find menu ideas that taste good and are still healthy to eat.

As you might be able to tell, my cat is black and he's called Eddie and he's adorable, however I do think getting a dog would get me out of the house more, my June resolution is to walk more!

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Sylvia: thanks for talking about your loose skin. I know that’s going to be an issue for me too. Sounds like you found a good solution for now! Size 12, wow; that’s great!

Alison: glad you got some sleep. Don’t be too hard on yourself. Did you get your kiss today? Glad DH did the lawn. Let’s keep that progress going!

Barbie: lovely photo of your poodles.

Lillian: congrats on your one-year anniversary.

Jules: I had a hot stone massage once; it was nice, but I missed the feeling of hands on my body.

DeeDee: Noel’s so cute there on the chair.

Penny: love the Norway photos; keep ‘em coming.

My guy and I shopped together yesterday and had a great time. I slept reasonably well and spent the morning making soup for dinner and juice in our new juicer.

Anybody see the documentary Forks over Knives, about using diet to prevent or limit the necessity of heart surgery? Very interesting. They advocate a “whole foods, plant based” diet. Easy enough to remember. I’ve been trying to keep that phrase in my head. It helps me make choices.

Lost a pound again, finally! Extremely happy about that. For the newbies: I lost about 37 pounds last year and by stress eating (lots o’ stuff happened during the past year) and not taking care of myself I gained almost all of it back. I hope I’m on the way down again. All good thoughts welcome!

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • Lagopus
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Heather, I struggle with monkfish. The meat has such a great texture but I can never get the flavors of whatever I put on it to penetrate. It would be great if you could share the recipie.

The one downside of our holiday home it that the nearest fishmonger is two hours away. If we could figure out how to catch our own seafood we'd be well off, because the fjord is full of cod and haddock, we have a scallop bank not far away, mussels cling to anything solid, the neighboring fjord has world-class halibut fishing. And monkfish... out on one of our walks my husband and I spotted an otter that had just landed a monkfish and was tucking in! But our boat is still 1000 km away so all our fishing here is from shore.

You mentioned birdwatchers a zillion pages back. Are you a bird fiend? Perhaps more important, is your husband one, because if he is he can look forward to some potentially great sightings during the cruise. (We recently spotted king eiders and a couple of grey phalaropes in summer plumage in Longyearbyen.) That might even compensate for having to wear a tie.

/Penny at the Pole
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Oh my this thread moves very quickly. Came back this morning to find a whole new page.

Penny - The picture of Norway is lovely. One place I woud truly love to visit.

Cynthia - I have been back to ground zero too many times in my life, Katla's quote is meant for people like us. "Try just one more time"

Pip - Both of you could sign up twice and do the whole race instead of a relay.

Goals
    Today - Spin, Body Pump, Yoga
    Monday - Boot Camp class
    Tuesday - Trainer WO
    Wednesday - Body Fitness
    Thursday - Trainer WO
    Friday - Rest Day
    Saturday - Spin
    This week 20 miles of road bike
    Log every bite, sip, move

Thank you for all your comments, it does feel like home. :)
    Lori from Wisconsin
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Penny stunning!

Deedee Noel adorable!

Good to be home. Much cooler. Ahhh!!

Going to clean up the garden today. I also brought back some cutting from my mom's forty year old rose bush. It is a red rose that smells like a rose. I am going to the garden center to get advice and call my friend who is a master gardener. Any of you start a rose plant from a cutting. What was your secret?

:heart: MNMargaret
  • Lilymay2
    Options
    Penny - beautiful peaceful picture. I hope you post lots all summer.

Heather (UK) - Yes, I truly believe the only way to goal is to WANT it for yourself. At our TOPS chapter meetings once a month, we share food diaries. They comment on how well I stick to my plan. My only comment lately has been - You can do it too !! They all KNOW what to do...they have been there for a few years, they have the tools, ..... oh enough Lillian!!

Looks like it will be rainy all day today.... good. I will put my rain coat on and my rubber boots and head outside. Need to get my planters finished and my zucchini and spaghetti squash transplanted into the garden. I will go for a bit of a walk... my rubber boots are NOT good things to walk 2 miles in, the yard work will be enough walking in them.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone

Lillian in West Central Saskatchewan
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Michele, you know you would feel worse if you ate a piece of cake. Why do those things tempt us??

Debbiemc, welcome to this group of wonderful ladies. This is a great place for support and it sounds like you are off to a great start. Come often and join right in.

Janetr, I never really considered myself having a food addition, but maybe I did/do? All I know is since I quite nicotine, all I want to do is eat. Even after going out for a steak dinner on Friday, I got home wanting to find something to eat. It is so hard and it’s not like I’m hungry. I just want to eat! Good for you for fighting it off.

JanetM, I can’t imagine biking to work in NO. I’m sure I’d be drenched if I only lived a few blocks from work. And I like the JanetM as your signature. It just helps tell us apart. 

Joyce, I have to say that I rarely judged obese people unless they were like 500 or 600 pounds. But now when I look at some of the smaller obese people, I just thank the lord that I am not still that big. I just can’t believe how big I let myself get. I have always loved myself and thought I took care of myself. I think I did it mostly out of laziness and not wanting to put forth the effort. I want to thank all of you for making this journey easier.

Elizabeth, welcome. If you sign your posts with Elizabeth, that is what we will call you. Well, except maybe for Pip, who likes to be called Poop. She rides her bike to the beat of a different drum. I understand it’s sometimes “hot” in Bakersfield? Lol It sounds like you are doing great with your new lifestyle, oh and Happy belated Birthday. Come often and post when you can.

Penny, what a beautiful picture! It doesn’t look real.

Allison, that’s too funny about DH giving away some of the jam. Nice that he could do the yard.

Heather, I’ve had people ask how I’m losing the weight, but when I start answering them it’s almost like a glaze comes over their eyes and they just tune out. insomnia.gif I know, until I was ready I didn’t want to hear about any of it. It’s actually sad.

Blackcat, welcome. This is a great place for support and we do share information including recipes. Come often and join right in. Please sign each post with the name you want to be called.

Cynthia, congrats on your loss. Hope it keeps up.

Lori, what part of Wisconsin are you in? I lived in Milwaukee for 10 years back in the 70’s. Was a great place to live and raise a family back then except for one thing. Yeppers, the L O N G cold winters. We were born and raised in the South so that was a real shock.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I didn’t sleep well last night and ended up getting up very early this morning. It’s going to be another scorcher today but DH and I are going to the beach for 2 or 3 hours. The sea breeze will keep it pleasant this morning, so we’ll go early. Maybe I’ll take a little nap there. wave.gif

I don’t want to brag or make anybody jealous, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. showoff.gif

My friends, have a terrific day. <3

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Lilymay2
    Options

I don’t want to brag or make anybody jealous, but I can still fit into the earrings I wore in high school. showoff.gif

Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    [/quote]

HA HA HA Janet...... I do tooooo!!!!

Lillian