Pork tenderloin, a good alternative to chicken?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    So I live in Canada and chicken is very expensive while pork is significantly less expensive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat pork everyday?

I hear you should only eat red meat twice a week, but in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it safe?

You hear what now?

yep, that's what is recommended here too

Red meat as often as possible

haha no. Red meat no more than twice a week :disappointed:

no

I'm not saying I agree with it. It is just the latest "recommendation " from the nutritional powers that be.

Don't they have a min/max amount for red meat in America?

I don't care if they do. You know what I mean? Who do you have in game two of State of Origin?

Indeed :wink:

Which team is indeed?

I was agreeing with your first sentence. State of origin... No idea. I don't follow it, it's played across the border.
    what is it you're trying to say?

Thought you were Australian.

That I am. I'm in south Australia. They play Rugby in New South Wales/Sydney and Victoria/Melbourne. We don't have any horses in that race.

You would think that a country that small that you would all be on the same page.

Nope. We follow AFL/Aussie Rules down here :+1: Have never watched a game of rugby in my life!

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    We're still talking pig parts, right?
  • Christine_72
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    We're still talking pig parts, right?

Lol my apologies. Carry on :smile:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    I think I'll go to the King Sooper tomorrow and pick up a nice smoked butt.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    So I live in Canada and chicken is very expensive while pork is significantly less expensive. I'm just wondering if it's safe to eat pork everyday?

I hear you should only eat red meat twice a week, but in the context of a mostly plant-based diet is it safe?

You hear what now?

no

I'm not saying I agree with it. It is just the latest "recommendation " from the nutritional powers that be.

I don't care if they do. You know what I mean? Who do you have in game two of State of Origin?

Which team is indeed?

I was agreeing with your first sentence. State of origin... No idea. I don't follow it, it's played across the border.

That I am. I'm in south Australia. They play Rugby in New South Wales/Sydney and Victoria/Melbourne. We don't have any horses in that race.

You would think that a country that small that you would all be on the same page.

Nope. We follow AFL/Aussie Rules down here :+1: Have never watched a game of rugby in my life!

Well don't you suck.
  • Christine_72

You hear what now?

no

Which team is indeed?

Well don't you suck.

Naaaww come on now. I'm loyal to the original Aussie game, not a pretend version :wink:

Although I give both footy and rugby players props for not wearing pooncy body armour :open_mouth:

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    i use tenderloin pork all the time
    and lost my 94 pounds just fine :)
  • Sip3hey
    Sip3hey Posts: 10 Member
    What will happen if they soak it in vinegar first?
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    edited June 2015
    Pork is white meat to me. Pork like chicken has a massive risk of food poisoning if not cooked properly. Unlike beef and lamb which you can pretty much eat still mooing if you so chose.

As for red meat. It is unfortunately recommended that you only eat it a couple of times a week. Think it's because of the fat content, risk of heart disease yadda yadda. Think it's blamed for a lot of bowel cancer too.

Alas I don't listen to any of that. I'd nom a steak down every day if I could afford it, which I can't. More the pity.

Pork tenderloin though... Ooooft yes!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Pork is great :)
    cv90lvr6cezk.jpg
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Pork is red meat. The recommendation here is that you should eat at most 70g per day of red or processed meat if you wish to pit yourself in the lower risk category for bowel cancer.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Pork is great :)
    cv90lvr6cezk.jpg

I agree, pork is great.

But I wouldn't eat that. It looks underdone. Too pink. Could be very nasty.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Looked it up and sure enough, pork is red meat. Learn something new every day here!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    999tigger wrote: »
    Pork is red meat. The recommendation here is that you should eat at most 70g per day of red or processed meat if you wish to pit yourself in the lower risk category for bowel cancer.

a recommendation only possible by conflating "red" and "processed" meat I suspect.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited June 2015
    Australia's health department recommends a maximum of 455 grams of lean red meat per week for adults.

http://www.eatforhealth.gov.au/sites/default/files/files/the_guidelines/n55g_adult_brochure.pdf
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    The healthfulness or otherwise of pork may depend what the pig was fed on. There are those who bang on about the high Omega-6 PUFA content of pork fat as a problem, where the pigs are corn fed. Pigs have simple digestion and the fat they eat is the fat they store on their bodies.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    I read that pork is technically red meat because it is livestock but that pork tenderloin is nutritionally on a par with chicken. I say go for it.

That doesn't make sense. It can be only one or the other. Not both...

Like tomatoes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    But pork isn't red meat

It's white

On this I am pretty sure ...cos colours
  • Sued0nim
    Is tuna red meat ?

What about duck?

• Sued0nim