Calorie in vs calories out

Replies

• Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Thank you! I have seen it written in a lot of these conversations and always wondered...
  • tomsarno
    tomsarno Posts: 105 Member
    mantium999 wrote: »
    tomsarno wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    To loose weight or loose fat? They are not the same thing.

wut? OP said lose weight...

I'd love to know about the magic behind losing fat only. Surely he will enlighten us.

Cut your calories drastically and do a lot of cardio. You will loose weight fast. but the loss will be both fat and muscle. Eat slightly under your TDEE and do resistance training and you will burn fat. The additional muscle will help with Leptin resistance and you will burn more fat. Fat loss is much better then weight loss.
    Generally speaking, for most people, over time, there will not be additional muscle acquired while eating in a caloric deficit.

You are 100% correct. Addition of muscle will not occur in a deficit, especially in a female. What I should have said was resistance training will activate the existing muscles fibers which will burn fat at a faster rate.
  • syndeo
    syndeo Posts: 68 Member

I'd love to know about the magic behind losing fat only. Surely he will enlighten us.

Cut your calories drastically and do a lot of cardio. You will loose weight fast. but the loss will be both fat and muscle. Eat slightly under your TDEE and do resistance training and you will burn fat. The additional muscle will help with Leptin resistance and you will burn more fat. Fat loss is much better then weight loss.

Sigh, not this again.

When you lose weight, you will lose a mixture of fat, muscle, connective tissue, etc. You minimize muscle loss by eating adequate protein and adding resistance training to your workout schedule. You can do cardio, and maintain a 1-2 pounds per week loss. Losing muscle and other lean body mass isn't necessarily bad. Elite marathoners look very fit to me. Low bf%, great cardio, etc.

Please cite the studies showing increasing muscle mass while in a deficit.

At least you didn't say muscle increases your bmr.
  • tomsarno
    edited June 2015
    I'm new to this... What is TDEE?

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • cleanbulk_hatersgfy
    cleanbulk_hatersgfy Posts: 31 Member
    I believe Fitbit (surge) measures estimated calories burned all day including TDEE based on user's profile (gender/age/height/CW). Not highly accurate of course but it gives users an idea on calories burned throughout the day.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    how do you burn 1900 calories a day, or am I missing something...

TDEE + activity? I could be wrong though.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    What I did is set both MFP and Fitbit to sedentary, and let it adjust accordingly to my movement during the day. Now, it's not perfect, it can still overestimate my calories a little. But this way if I don't have an active day at work, I won't overeat because I have the base set too high.
  • tomsarno
    syndeo wrote: »

Sigh, not this again.

Please cite the studies showing increasing muscle mass while in a deficit.

At least you didn't say muscle increases your bmr.
    I guess you are right and I am wrong on how to loose weight and gain muscle. Lets compare profile pics on who has made better progress? Mine are in my profile, where are your?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Holy h3ll bag! I need to get me something that will burn almost 2000 calories per day. That would be awesome!

I'm sure you burn over 2000 in a day. Fitbit measures daily expenditure, not just for exercise.

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Holy h3ll bag! I need to get me something that will burn almost 2000 calories per day. That would be awesome!

I'm sure you burn over 2000 in a day. Fitbit measures daily expenditure, not just for exercise.

Yep. Fitbit gives you a daily burn. My varies from 1700 on a lazy day to 2300 on an active day. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

My understanding is the Fitbit attempts to estimate something close to TDEE based on the user's stats, and the motion it senses through the course of the day. Not sure how reliable it is though.

so is it saying that 1900 is OP's TDEE?

I guess I find it confusing as I think if one burns 1900 then you need to eat another 3800 to net 1900...3800 consumed - 1900 burned= 1900 net calories consumed...

• Dnarules

My understanding is the Fitbit attempts to estimate something close to TDEE based on the user's stats, and the motion it senses through the course of the day. Not sure how reliable it is though.

I guess I find it confusing as I think if one burns 1900 then you need to eat another 3800 to net 1900...3800 consumed - 1900 burned= 1900 net calories consumed...

Yes, the fitbit is an all day tracker, so it gives you a TDEE estimate for the day.

• ndj1979

Yes, the fitbit is an all day tracker, so it gives you a TDEE estimate for the day.

oh, so that is not an actual burn estimate, but a TDEE estimate based on activity?
  • Dnarules

oh, so that is not an actual burn estimate, but a TDEE estimate based on activity?

Yep. So if it said 1900 and you wanted to lose 1 pound a week, you would subtract 500 from that. But it syncs with MFP, so MFP will take care of the math.

• ndj1979

Yep. So if it said 1900 and you wanted to lose 1 pound a week, you would subtract 500 from that. But it syncs with MFP, so MFP will take care of the math.

interesting..

and that makes sense..
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    dubird wrote: »
    What I did is set both MFP and Fitbit to sedentary, and let it adjust accordingly to my movement during the day. Now, it's not perfect, it can still overestimate my calories a little. But this way if I don't have an active day at work, I won't overeat because I have the base set too high.

Or just set you activity level to what is normal for you and enable negative calorie adjustments, if you don't move enough you will lose the calories.
  • Dnarules

Whatever works. I'm just a simple folk. What I'm doing works for me so I ain't gonna fix what isn't broken. I suppose people who bike a bunch could burn that amount easily.

I think I may not be communicating this correctly. When fitbit says you burned 2000, that is not for a specific exercise. That is the combined total for the day, including sleeping and watching tv. That's why I said you would easily burn 2000. I can do it with just hitting 10000 steps, and I'm a 51 year old female :). But I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    I believe the OP mentioned she had a FitBit Charge HR - which measures heartrate as well.