WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• AgnesGrey
    AgnesGrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone had a good day today. I sat at my desk and worked most of the day but since I'm able to work from home 80% of the time I try to remember to get up and move about. I did get my vegetable garden weeded and planted some more flowers in the front yard. Took the dog (who also needs to lose some weight) for a short walk after dinner when it cooled off a bit. It was about 87 here today.

Stayed under my calorie goal today but went over my carb limit a wee bit. Those darn carbs are in everything!!

Have a good night all

Agnes, NE Washington
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Jen - I can't imagine anything harder than losing a child. We're all here whenever you need a shoulder to cry on, to vent about whatever and to share in your achieving goals.
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Please friend me. I'm new to MFP and this form. Thank you!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    Thank you for the healthy recipe for Asian chicken. I have never eaten the full calorie version listed. However, my problem has been ordering a small chicken fried rice. According to MFP it has 750 calories and of course, is very high in fat. The past 17 days I have only been eating about 800 calories. So you can imagine my shock that I had this many calories all in one small order!!!
  • janetr7476
    edited June 2015
    Options
    We are getting what's left of "Jim" now a tropical depression. Been raining for hours. Its going to sit over us all night and weatherman is predicting 5-8" of rain for us. Ugh. I'll need a canoe. To the south of us is flooding already. Guess I might as well buck up. This calls for pulling up the granny panties, cuz the big girls panties just aren't gonna get the job done. :#

Janetr - Oklahoma City
  • Charm4u76132
    Options
    FWD (Fort Worth / Dallas) has turned into Houston with all this excess rain!

Those of us in the West o Plex have rearranged the letters so that FW is 1st! :)
  • janetr7476
    Options
    @Charm4u - that's funny, putting FT Worth first, makes sense to me. I lived in Dallas for just a little while before moving up to OKC.

Welcome aboard, we're glad you joined us.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Well work takes me to many beautiful places in the province of Saskatchewan. Tonight watching the float planes come in and take off across Lac La Ronge. Got here after 5 hours of driving. ..had supper....and then walked for 1/2 hour. Should have been more but tired and need to go to sleep. Meeting really early in the a.m. and then head back home.

Take care everyone
    Lillian in Beautiful Northern Saskatchewan
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Joyce- your DGD's are beautiful! Our closet is big had Christmas, wrapping, decorations, boxes for nick nacks, shoes, and of course clothes! I had to try stuff on because I was sorting into garage sale, keep, or throw. With losing weight I had a lot to go through.

DJ- love the Pom poms. I had the shots for my allergies and they worked really well. Funny story!!!

Heather - you have the right idea!

MNMargaret - I agree! I told my DH we sort through everything as we're packing and have another garage sale after we are moved in. Get rid of everything we don't need or use!

Michele - did you really walk backwards?

Katla- I will be 94 some day! Thanks for posting the calculator.

Terri - cute pic of your boys! My DD is the same way. She never wants to listen to me.

Sylvia- LOL

Carol in NC - 101 is way too hot for me. How high is your humidity? Good job on the exercises!

Sassy- welcome back! I missed your humor!

Jan congratulations on the loss!

Lisa - great commitment to your lifestyle! 3 1/2 lbs a week that's remarkable!

Hi everyone! This is from last night but I've been at my DMIL for 2 days. I had to visit she needed a girls night and I needed a break from packing!

Have a great night everyone!

Mary from Minnesota
  • Gigi3536
    Gigi3536 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started on this site 3 days ago and I'm learning my way around. How do I join this group?
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yeepers! Another 12 pages. No way I can read them all, let alone respond. <sigh>

Out of court and walked again today. iPhone sez 9704 steps. Also bought a Fitbit. If I hold my boobs while I run in place for 300 steps, will the Fitbit count the steps? I may find out.

It says it's water resistant, but the underside has electrodes in an open pit. Looks like a sweat danger. And I'd wanted to wear it in the shower to count steps there.

Allison - yay for the iPad!
    Oh, lordy, sorry to hear about the possible hyperparathyroidism. If Himself cuts up rough, ask if he'd rather have you breaking bones from osteoporosis? Forgetfulness, tiring easily, kidney stones and just generally feeling poorly also can be symptoms.

Lisa - I'm impressed. Only one overage in 78 days! Wow! And that you're cleaning up that egg and moving on. Not to mention 3.5 lbs/week.

JanetR - love the senility prayer. read it to Larry, who laughed.

Carey - the weight chart is from my iPhone.

Sassy, cool pic!

KateKyi - Now I understand. Glad you've climbed out of the pit.
    Poetry isn't to everyone's taste, and Gerald Manley Hopkins' verse can be difficult. I've always found his "black sonnets" very helpful. Heres one. Even if one disagrees with his theology, the first quatrain is powerful.

Not, I'll not, carrion comfort, Despair, not feast on thee;
    Not untwist - slack they may be - these last strands of man
    In me or, most weary, cry I can no more. I can;
    Can something, hope, wish day come, not choose not to be.

But ah, but O thou terrible, why wouldst thou rude on me
    Thy wring-world right foot rock? lay a lionlimb against me? scan
    With darksome devouring eyes my buisèd bones? and fan,
    O in turns of tempest, me heaped there; me frantic to avoid thee and flee?

Why? That my chaff might fly; my grain lie, sheer and clear,
    Nay in all that toil, that coil, since (seems) I kissed the rod,
    Hand rather, my heart lo! lapped strength, stole joy, would laugh, cheer.

Cheer whóm though? The héro whose heáven-handling flúng me, fóot tród
    Me? Or mé that fóught him? O whích one? is it eách one? That níght, that year
    Of now done darkness I wretched lay wrestling with (my God!) my God.

---

Chris in MA - way to go! For the class, and the awesome sports bra. :)

Heather UK - I think you're doing the right thing. Whether or not anyone else ever sees it, I think you're doing the right thing for yourself.
    Here's another by Gerald Manley Hopkins that really speaks to me - not one of his black sonnets.

As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies dráw fláme;
    As tumbled over rim in roundy wells
    Stones ring; like each tucked string tells, each hung bell’s
    Bow swung finds tongue to fling out broad its name;
    Each mortal thing does one thing and the same:
    Deals out that being indoors each one dwells;
    Selves—goes itself; myself it speaks and spells,
    Crying Whát I do is me: for that I came.

Í say móre: the just man justices;
    Kéeps gráce: thát keeps all his goings graces;
    Acts in God’s eye what in God’s eye he is—
    Chríst—for Christ plays in ten thousand places,
    Lovely in limbs, and lovely in eyes not his
    To the Father through the features of men’s faces.

(back to me)
    You are lovely, inside and out.

----

Mia in MI - thanks for the info about the bypass and ghrelin.
    Congrats on standing firm against temptation!

Carol in NC - <<<hugs>>> Your weight loss and generally better health will make the operation easier for the surgeons, and will make your recovery faster.

Jen, I'm so sorry about your daughter's death.

Sylvia and Michele in NC - I have, somewhere, a manicotti recipe that incorporates tofu. You don't notice the tofu, and the recipe's very tasty. Don't remember how it is on calories.

Gigi - how do you join this group? You just did. :) Welcome to you and all the other newcomers! (I'm one, too, really.)

JanetM in NO

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    AWWW thanks for all the Birthday wishes my people....(and yes you ARE my people...:-)
    @exermom Nope I never put on anything special on my "girls"
    You know one year it finally clicked with me about my "suit" My "own suit" never goes out of style, never gets thin in places it shouldn't. It never fades, nor does it trap sand in places I detest. My "suit" always fits me, and for a large woman its quite liberating. No trying on suits, or putting down a queens randsom for one either. I DID have to buy one after joining the aquatics center here. I couldv'e worn my "own suit" ONCE....but then they would have called the authorities. Making a nudist scene isn't my thing... lol.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Whoolly Canoooli.....like 9 pages you'll wrote while I was "off-track being all mindless and singing ITS MY BIRTHDAY and I'LL EAT THAT IF I WANNA".....*sighes* . I'm all done now, but I have alot of crap in my kitchen.... I did put a TURTLE at my TOPS meeting today!! That is what you call a person that neither loses or gains...just stays a turtle goin nowhere.. I was surprised at that feat! I just KNEW I had gained. I almost ate breakfast before the meeting, because...you know what IS the POINT... Glad I wised up and didn't.
    AND no I can't just throw all the crap out of my kitchen. My son the grazer likes the crap ie: Doritos, cheap cookies, a whole bag of mega size milk chocolate chips from some factory that made stuff with mega size chips. I will have to make some cookies now.
    I rec'd a call from my eldest Navy son on Saturday and we talked for 2-3 hrs. He is a great kid, 25 and livin life. He didn't say one iota about my birthday, but his call was my present. On Monday I rec'd a call from my middle son in the Navy and we talked for a long time too. He is married, with a wife in the Navy, so he is telling me all the things he is cooking. So sweet. My little boy can COOK. He remembered my birthday, his main reason for calling. My my Navy sons... My middle sis called too, and we talked while I was throwing together spaghetti. She said, "Call me when you are done eating". I did, and of course she didn't answer. Our relationship is complicated. You would think if you tell someone to call you, you would be there to answer the phone... She is a drinker, and so my brain goes to her passed out by the phone, just not hearing it. It's hard to not "accept the carrot she dangles in front of me". Like she has done many times, I take the mental carrot, and she leaves me hanging. Enough about my sister.....aaak.
    Thanks again for all the b'day wishes, I have never gotten so many this year between you all, and my TOPS friends. ((((hugs))))
    Becca by the Beach feeling Blessed.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - you will get better and stronger and healthier! We will be here for you!

Terri- way to turn chili into a great meal!

Pip - I am glad you weren't involved in the accident! Scary!!!

Carey- I admire you for getting rid of the chocolate!

Allison- I'm sorry that you got bad results! Let us know how your other tests turn out!

Barbie- I think I am exactly that way. I can't just have one!

Katla - I think I would let people know. I would have liked to know that my neighbor whose son is buying our house was looking, that would have saved the realtor fees.

Sylvia- your DGD is so precious!

Jen- I am so sorry for your loss. My Brother in law and wife loss their 4 year old son over 30 years ago and offer support to others if you need it let me know. There is comfort in talking to someone with the same heart ache.

MNMargaret- score! The goodwill is my favorite store especially on senior discount day! Great name brand find!

Mary from Minnesota
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Hello from soggy Indiana

Allison, I was going to tell you that Walmart has mini iPads for $199 but then I saw you put that hubbie was getting you one. I don't know if this one for $199 is online only or not. Hope they figure out your problem and that your hubbie accepts it. Have fun canning. Just let hubbie know it is part of your cost saving hiving right now.

Lisa, I want to visit Ireland. Can I get a flag just for wishing?????? o:) From the sound of it here tonight, it sounds like we should just do a world tour for the group. Some people might have to join us and leave us some where but that's OK.

Yannie, yes I got up in time. It didn't storm last night but I put a battery in my clock just to be safe. Since I have an electronic chart I should get an email tomorrow telling me the results and letting me view it. One thing I did learn form it is that I'm not as short as I thought I was. I knew I had shrunk some as my jeans legs fit different. I always thought I was 5'5 1/2" and then one day when Dr office was measuring me I was 5"6 1/4"!!!! I didn't know that I could grow while i was in my 40's. But then last year she measured me at 5'4 1/2". Talk about depressing. I completely had to re do my BMI scale. But this woman had me put my feet closer to the wall and stand up really straight and it was 5'5"!! So I will take that.

Jules, my girls, young and old love to go geocaching. They like to go with my youngest daughter because she will make sure she finds a geocache that is in a more adventurous spot. They love climbing the trees, crawling under bushes, etc. Their Dad is like that also. Sometimes I think the wrong girl married my son in law. But noo telling what kind of kids I would have got. When we go to the amusement park Paul (the SIL) and Aunt Michelle go off all day and Christina stays with her Dad. I am going between the two groups.

Janet Myrtle Beach, I have had to just give up on my husband following his doctor's advice in the summer and winter as far as how to take care of himself after his heart attack and stents. It's weird, he will readily tell peoplpe he hasn't seen in a while about his heart attack/stents and ulcerative colitis but he never mentions the Parkinson's. I would think he would leave out the ulcerative colitis since it really stinks and he has some near misses.

Heather, sending big hugs. I do hope you tell your sons about your past experiences before your book goes to copy. But it should be very cathartic to you just to write it down and completely express yourself. Don't be surprised if you write more than you think you had planned on. You are going to help so many people in writing it though. You will help so many people find thier own voice by your courage. good luck, write as slow as you feel comfortable. Let your husband give you plenty of comfort as you write your words down.

Carey, your Tai Chi sounds wonderful.

Saay, Your picture makes me want to just get on a plane and come over there right now!!!

Terri, you will just have to take a picture of one of your sons bowling score cards for us!!

Carol, you know we have a corner to throw all of our pity and worries in. Just throw them in there with the rest of ours. It doesn't matter how big it gets. Like some one else, if we are doing our job, we will help you get through this.

Katla, I would just let it be known that some one would like to be notified if an opening comes up. It's not like you are asking anyone to move or putting the idea in anyone's mind.

Jen, so sorry about your daughter. I hope your family is doing OK through this. I know the loss never gets any less but the days do get brighter.

I haven't heard from Naomi lately. Was she scheduled to go on another one of her trips?

Welcome to Charm4U, Gigi, Jen, Kari, Kathy, Beneita and wenanghem. Beneirta did you knit that sweater you are holding????? Kari, when Iused my FitBit one I put it in my pocket. In the rare times I didn't have a pocket, it went in my bra.

My sister's daughter never did get tall, All her growth in her early years just went to her Boobs. I think she was a 38DD in middle school. And at 5'3", that was one buxomous girl. Raied cats and dogs here today and will continue through until Friday. Wish we could send it out west. and speaking of out west, I will enjoy watching the PGA US Open being in Washington and seeing that beautiful state and weird golf course.

Joyce K, Indiana

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Ladies - got to get down to my writing in a minute, but wanted to duck in quickly to say a HUGE thankyou to those who have been so supportive of my biography endeavour. :love: Janet SC, Janet Mc, Katla, Joyce and Lisa and Yanniejannie I have thanked before. It has helped soooooo much to tell you what I am doing. Last night I slept for the first time in weeks! ! ! ! ! I feel a new woman! This volume of the memoir takes me up to just before I was 10. I have two more planned - from 10 to when I finished university at 20 and got married and the third one up to the present time. What I do with them is another story, but it is definitely a story I need to tell.
    Thank you again for all your support! I can feel you with me now and it really, really helps. <3

Terrible news from Charleston. I hope everyone in the neighbourhood stays calm. I send my love. :flowerforyou:

Got to take a photo of my house today to send to one of the friends I met up with in London last week. She is coming to stay for a night on 8th July. It's quite hard to find our house in the lane if you don't know it. Always getting phone calls from taxis, delivery men etc saying they are lost!

Heather in sunny Hampshire, where we had some lovely overnight rain for the garden! :drinker:

27681614.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    well I had a huge post and poof it's gone.. so will check in later
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning!

Joyce, I had to look up geocaching. Sounds quite interesting and a bit complicated plus confusing. Do a lot of people actually participate in hiding the logs or is it just those doing it at the moment. Kind of like hiding a time capsule.

NC Carol, wishing you the best on the upcoming surgery. As others have said, being in better health will help you heal faster.

For all of you speaking of TaTa's I find it amazing. I have never had any cleavage much less drooping because there just isn't much there.

Lenora, still thinking of your nephew and sis going through this hard time.

Rori, you sound as though your life is filled with interesting trips. I do not envy you having to travel so much as I hate long travels. Love the Hawaii pic of you.

Going to see my mom today and will also start really dealing with what to do about the contents of her house. I think we are going to have to rent it as it is impossible to sell since we are in a life estate with her. Taking care of the expenses of two different houses is a burden.

Carol
    7lc125q1skhi.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :) Heather, you are very courageous to write about painful times in your life. I have a hard time just going through photos or memorabilia. I want you to know how much I admire you. <3