No Sugar Diet

Options

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.amazon.ca/JJ-Virgins-Sugar-Impact-Diet/dp/1455577847

"Drop 7 Hidden Sugars, Lose Up to 10 Pounds in Just 2 Weeks"

I'm sorry, but I'm calling BS.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I wouldn't be surprised if your doctor is on consignment.

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.

Um. You really, really need a new doctor. One who has a clue about nutrition.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I use Atkins as well. I am diabetic and need to watch my carbs. I see nothing wrong with fresh fruit, though. Especially berries. I avoid things like pineapple and pears ( I love pears) because of their high sugar content. I make my smoothies with strawberries and raspberries and sometimes mangos.
  • clairepfitness14
    clairepfitness14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't recommend it. Sugar is in a lot of healthy things, like for instance, fruit. I know a woman who went 2 years without any sugar in her diet and she didn't have positive weight loss results like she was hoping to.
  • flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My sis went on that HGCG diet and ultimately lost her gall bladder.
  • elcollins24
    elcollins24 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The no sugar diet is badly named because its not actually a diet of no sugar. Its a diet that cuts out added sugar. So you can still eat fruits/veggies and all those other tasty things that have their own sugars but you shouldnt eat processed foods like ready meals that add in sugars for taste. Therefore youre gonna be cutting out cakes/cookies/chocokate/ready meals etc etc...and most likely lose weight n feel better in yourself.
    Your sugar intake will be alot lower than the average sugar intake.
    I might be wrong but thats what i see the no sugar diet as being :-)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    The no sugar diet is badly named because its not actually a diet of no sugar. Its a diet that cuts out added sugar. So you can still eat fruits/veggies and all those other tasty things that have their own sugars but you shouldnt eat processed foods like ready meals that add in sugars for taste. Therefore youre gonna be cutting out cakes/cookies/chocokate/ready meals etc etc...and most likely lose weight n feel better in yourself.

You lose weight from being in a calorie deficit. Cutting out added sugar may be a way to help some people create that deficit but there is nothing magical about cutting out added sugar that helps you lose weight that simply moderating the intake of all foods wouldn't do.

I really don't know why people insist on making this harder than it needs to be. Life is filled with opportunities to eat cake and cookies. Finding a way to enjoy them in moderation seems like the obvious path to long term success to me.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

You lose weight from being in a calorie deficit. Cutting out added sugar may be a way to help some people create that deficit but there is nothing magical about cutting out added sugar that helps you lose weight that simply moderating the intake of all foods wouldn't do.

I really don't know why people insist on making this harder than it needs to be. Life is filled with opportunities to eat cake and cookies. Finding a way to enjoy them in moderation seems like the obvious path to long term success to me.

because sugar = satan = automatic weight gain
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

I really don't know why people insist on making this harder than it needs to be.
    Because if it's too easy they have to admit that the reason they got fat was because of their own failings. It's the same reason MFP has the highest rate of thyroid problems and food intolerances ;-) The same reason that people love the fad diets or leap on low carb as some sort of magic bullet. People want a whipping boy and something else to foist the blame for their own inadequacies.

The successful people are the ones who except that the only fault was their own and they are the ones that have the ability to control that.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    5246be41c3519.gif

I am laughing so hard at this, I had my lil one look up at me a little alarmed :smiley:
  • mommy2TandN
    mommy2TandN Posts: 7 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I cut out all gluten and dairy almost a year ago due to medical reasons. It helped reduce my cholesterol a lot, as well as fix a bunch of other problems I was having. However, my glucose was still high and my bloodwork still shows increasing inflamation. So my doctor recently recommended I cut out most sugars as well. She suggested I read " Sugar Impact Diet" by JJ Virgin. I'm only on day 2 of it, but so far, it's good. I'm a huge sugar addict and I'm not even missing it yet. So it you really need to reduce sugars, it may be worth looking into.

Anything that says "Lose XX lbs in x weeks!" is always pure *kitten* and is just trying to sell you their product to make more money.

I am not a fan of the author's push about losing weight quickly, either. And my reason for doing the diet is much more about getting my glucose down than it is losing weight. I have a lot of diabetes in my family, with both grandparents on my dad's side dying of heartacks in their 40's. I'm certain they had undiagnosed diabetes, based on my memories of them and the symptoms they showed. And diabetes does lead to increased risk of heart attacks. And I had gestational diabetes about 14 years ago. I'm in my early 40's now. So anything I can do to get out of the pre-diabetes range is good. My doctor actually recommended this book to me because another of her patients started following the diet on her own and had great success. She isn't making any money off this book. They sell some health books (including cookbooks) at the doctor's office and this isn't even available there. The original poster asked for diet plans to follow that limit sugar, and although this one doesn't get rid of all sugar, it does limit them in a way that doesn't cause as much withdrawal.

Absolutely not. I've been seeing this doctor for almost a year now and she has managed to lower my bad cholesterol, increase my good cholesterol, lower my blood pressure, increase my vitamin D and iron, and for the first time in my life, I can go out without worrying about needing a bathroom nearby. And she's done this all primarily with diet changes. I started seeing her because my last doctor just kept giving me more meds. The last straw was when that doctor prescribed a statin for me and insisted I continue taking it even when it caused me extreme muscle soreness. I stopped taking that statin and switched doctors. Now my cholesterol is at the low end of normal. The proof is in the pudding. I'm keeping my doctor.

I am surprised by how much negativity is on these boards. Yesterday was my first time checking them out. I saw this no sugar post and wanted to see if others were trying to reduce sugar, too, thinking it would be nice to connect with others in the same boat. Then I commented on the diet plan my doctor has me on because that's what the original poster asked for. I have tried just monitoring my food intake for years, using MFP to log everthing I ate, and while I lost some weight, I still had numerous medical issues. I doubt that I am alone in this. Criticizing people because something different works for them is NOT supportive. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Probably because some people lack the motivation and willpower to moderate their food intake. Having extreme rules about what they should and should not eat takes the decision making out of the equation for them therefore helping with compliance. The catch is, eventually your body's cravings will win that battle if you abstain for long enough and that usually leads to a binge, guilt and failure...
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Probably because some people lack the motivation and willpower to moderate their food intake. Having extreme rules about what they should and should not eat takes the decision making out of the equation for them therefore helping with compliance. The catch is, eventually your body's cravings will win that battle if you abstain for long enough and that usually leads to a binge, guilt and failure...

That's fair, I just wish more people would acknowledge that rather than blaming the food group. Sugar didn't make you fat. Too much sugar didn't even make you fat. Too many calories made you fat.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I agree w/beachhouse758; all things in moderation. I cut back on the added sugar (I only have abt 1.5 tbs of Nestle' Dark Choc Chips after dinner) and ended up losing 10 lbs. Eating whole natural foods (including fruits, veggies, and lean meat) as much as you can (while keeping an eye on the calories) the best advice.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

That's fair, I just wish more people would acknowledge that rather than blaming the food group. Sugar didn't make you fat. Too much sugar didn't even make you fat. Too many calories made you fat.

I think we all know who is at fault here. Katie Couric. And the Dutch.

How did the Dutch get pulled into this? I'm fine with it, I just need to know if I need to burn all my orange clothes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    my dietitian put me on a no sugar diet, and for good reason. As you eat sugar, it turn to glucose, that includes white bread, sugar, alcohol ect. and you can become insulin resistant. Other things that can happen from eating these kinds of foods are:

its very bad for your teeth
    can over load your liver
    fatty liver disease (i have that)
    sugar can give you cancer
    sugar promotes fat, due to the effet on the brain and hormones
    highly addictive
    leading contributor to obesity
    raises cholesterol and risk heart disease

info from my dietitian and this website
    http://authoritynutrition.com/10-disturbing-reasons-why-sugar-is-bad/

No reputable dietitian would ever put someone on a 'no sugar' diet because unless you aren't eating fruits and vegetables, you are eating sugar. Chances are you saw a NUTRITIONIST who fed you this bologna. You've been seriously brainwashed.

You don't become insulin resistant simply by eating bread, sugar, and alcohol. It's much more complicated than that.

You don't get cancer from eating sugar, either.

Sugar doesn't cause obesity. Obesity is caused by overconsumption of ALL types of food.

You have fatty liver disease because you are almost 250 lbs overweight; not because you ate sugar.

yea well

tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif

I'm feenin for a donut. Also, in
    tumblr_lvcm3ftozF1qbunx5.gif

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

They don't acknowledge it because they have bought the shtick hook line and sinker...
  • elcollins24
    Options

You are preaching to the converted. I do calorie counting. Its how i lost all my weight. I know it works, and i know its simple and easy.

I was just saying that i believe the no sugar diet is actually not a no sugar diet...
  • elcollins24
    Options
    I am so

Absolutely not. I've been seeing this doctor for almost a year now and she has managed to lower my bad cholesterol, increase my good cholesterol, lower my blood pressure, increase my vitamin D and iron, and for the first time in my life, I can go out without worrying about needing a bathroom nearby. And she's done this all primarily with diet changes. I started seeing her because my last doctor just kept giving me more meds. The last straw was when that doctor prescribed a statin for me and insisted I continue taking it even when it caused me extreme muscle soreness. I stopped taking that statin and switched doctors. Now my cholesterol is at the low end of normal. The proof is in the pudding. I'm keeping my doctor.

I am surprised by how much negativity is on these boards. Yesterday was my first time checking them out. I saw this no sugar post and wanted to see if others were trying to reduce sugar, too, thinking it would be nice to connect with others in the same boat. Then I commented on the diet plan my doctor has me on because that's what the original poster asked for. I have tried just monitoring my food intake for years, using MFP to log everthing I ate, and while I lost some weight, I still had numerous medical issues. I doubt that I am alone in this. Criticizing people because something different works for them is NOT supportive. What works for one person doesn't always work for others.

I am so with u on this one. I feel like one of the only people on mfp that doesnt believe they know everything. I know what works for me but i'm happy to let others crack on with whatever works for them. Theres way too much negativity and way too much condescension! None of us are perfect or we wouldnt be here. This is a free place to discuss ideas...
This discussion has been closed.