WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Barbie - thank you so much. :love: I had a good session today. My good night's sleep made a big difference and I feel so much better for getting it out there. :) I wrote about all the "patterns" I had to do ritually and obsessively to get me through my day. I had a strict bedtime ritual and woe betide my poor younger brother if he messed it up! ! ! ! ! I am pleased to say he doesn't remember any of it! I hope other people will be able to recognise themselves and feel better that they are not alone.
    Sorry that your photos upset you. They are so precious and now count as ancient history! I find that somewhat comforting as it truly does feel like another time. I have a couple of Memory Boxes where I keep things that, even as a young child, I thought might evoke the times we lived in. I was an early archivist! I sometimes think writers are the lucky ones as anything, however awful, is grist to the mill, even if it isn't easy. :)

I've been passed as a non-money launderer today by the solicitors! What a relief! :laugh: Getting some quotes for selling from solicitors. We will see what kind of offers I get. I can see investors making stupid offers, but I don't want to ruin myself by taking idiotic low offers. Trouble is I want to avoid doing work on the place and having to extend the lease, which costs money. I am prepared to take a hit, but not a knockout!

Mushroom and pea risotto for dinner - DH'S favourite. With green beans.

Alison - hugs for you. My quick research looks like a quick, minor operation and all will be perfect. :flowerforyou:

To the lady who lost her daughter, I send you so much love and lots of hugs. Stick with us. :flowerforyou: There are one or two others on here who have lost beloved children. My lovely daughter was stillborn at 40 weeks. A pain like yours I cannot imagine.

Welcome new people. To those who are looking for "friends" I am afraid I am not "friendly" and always decline invitations. :laugh: I am so busy on here and everyone is my friend. :flowerforyou:

Love Heather x UK
    27681614.png
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    Options

Wow! I'm so impressed you can bring up those emoticons, I can't figure it out for the life of me, so I'll just enjoy them.

schools-out-smiley-emoticon.gif

I found them on this link: http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys-sport.php

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) Heather, you are very courageous to write about painful times in your life. I have a hard time just going through photos or memorabilia. I want you to know how much I admire you. <3
    I second that! I was lucky enough to have a very safe and happy childhood. Until I was middle-aged I had no idea of what went on behind some closed doors. Several of the women I know who struggle with weight issues have a history of sexual abuse or (even more often) psychological abuse.

I can't even begin to imagine what that kind of pain can do to people through the years. Heather, I sincerely hope the writing sets good things free in you, and lays bad things to rest. :flowerforyou:

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    We are getting what's left of "Jim" now a tropical depression. Been raining for hours. Its going to sit over us all night and weatherman is predicting 5-8" of rain for us. Ugh. I'll need a canoe. To the south of us is flooding already. Guess I might as well buck up. This calls for pulling up the granny panties, cuz the big girls panties just aren't gonna get the job done. :#

Janetr - Oklahoma City

lmao!!
  • SlenderClassyElegant
    SlenderClassyElegant Posts: 62 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Jen - I can't imagine anything harder than losing a child. We're all here whenever you need a shoulder to cry on, to vent about whatever and to share in your achieving goals.

awesome-cute-butterfly-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thank you Janet, Janet, and everyone :). It's been so hard, but our family is slowly healing. It will never be the same though.

~Jen in California

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Carol my brother told me it cost about $700 a month to cover my mom's home. Taxes, insurance, utilities , and up keep. I know he is ready to have it sold after all the headaches of the last couple of months.

Heather I quickly went through the family photos while visiting my family home. I brought many of them back so I could go through them more leisurely. It does spark both good and not so good memories. I do think sorting those and preserving some of the family's art work is my way of coping with letting go.

Jen love the blue morpho butterfly. Good memory of my mom and I at the butterfly house in St. Louis and one landing on her. Butterflies symbolize healing and rebirth to me. ((Hugs)) to your family as you heal through your loss.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    Options
    morning peep-c's and welcome new peeps -

well kids.... rode to the eye doc picked up my contacts. first thing I should mention is that I always have them modified so I could see better closeup (to read monitor and small print) and loose distance vision. I put the one on that was replaced (right eye, weaker eye) then I took out the left contact to put in the new one in. I IMMEDIATELY saw there was something wrong, it wasn't right but I said to myself, leave them in and my eyes will adjust then i'll be able to tell if I need it redone or not. rode to the fake bake, then Costco then home. still, vision was off. I took out my contacts with the new plunger (that's what they call it) and I don't know what happened but it felt like you put some acid in my left eye. it stung like you wouldn't believe! my eye started crying like crazy, I turn on the light and it hurt my eyes so I had to turn off the light. I finally got it out thru the pain. my eye was still stinging and watering and I wanted some visine and I couldn't see how to open the new bottle and Kirby was sleeping and I didn't want to bother him. I went to bed and closed my eyes and tried to sleep. got up a couple of times to try to open the visine bottle, no luck :0( . I wake up this morning and my eye was stuck closed from all the crying it did. OH and when I took my lens out, my vision was really blurry in that eye like someone put some film over the it and all the rubbing (which stung when I did) didn't help clear it up. when I woke up, the film wasn't there anymore but a headache was from all the pain and watering of they eye. I rode to work yesterday and the PLAN was to NOT ride home yesterday and take the train today and tomorrow. yesterday I ended up riding 16miles to doc and home not to mention the 11.3 that I rode to work. well that idea for yesterday went out the window. I am going to try to get this contact redone before we leave for vegas. I wanted to save my legs for the run this weekend. hope I don't have to ride to the eye doc today or tomorrow. I will if I have to. I have to admit, was loving the fact that I burned over 1700 calories yesterday. if any of you peeps have good eyesight, be very thankful. I've been dealing with it since birth and it sucks BIG time
  • SSC1958
    SSC1958 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Joyce: What is geocaching? I could look it up, but it's much easier to ask. :smile:

Mary: I can't take credit for the chocolate..that was someone else sorry I can't remember who.

JanetM: I have different reports on my phone and tablet which have an android and windows phone operating systems. I'm always amazed at how different apps are for different devices.

Thought for the day: Being a survivor doesn't mean being strong - it's telling people when you need a meal or a ride, company, whatever. It's paying attention to heart wisdom, feelings, not living a role, but having a unique, authentic life, having something to contribute, finding time to love and laugh. All these things are qualities of survivors. - Bernie Siegel

I've been playing with excel a bit trying to figure out if I can see any trends in my intake to identify why I can't seem to lose any weight. The graph will make you dizzy. :laugh: But apparently my menu planning isn't detailed enough since the mix of protein, carbs and fat is anything but a consistent amount. I really didn't want to have to take my menu planning to the next level. To try and avoid that I'm going to try to make sure that my protein is more consistently at 75g as I sure don't want to lose muscle instead of fat. Hopefully this will level out the other values as well.

cpmq0t9jyxt2.png

June Goals:

1. Do menu planning for June (complete)
    2. Eat 3 meals a day
    3. Log all meals
    4. Plan and Do one fun thing each week
    (W1: Hot stone massage and weekend of Tai Chi with friend...Oops that's 2 things...oh darn
    W2: Lunch with a friend, going away party for co-worker... 2 more...yay!
    W3: Pedicure and manicure, Tai Chi in the park. Bingo with my Aunt, Lunch with a friend (Some not planned, but sure have been fun!)
    5. Ride stationary bike 3 times a week for 30 minutes.

Carey-Edmonton
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies
    Welcome to all those who are new, stay a while and chip in when you want to. I am having one of those Thursdays when nothing seems to go right. Started off good. I have redesigned my meal plan to include 2 snacks per day or 5 baby meals as I see it. This is a big difference to me as I was used to only eating 1 meal a day. It definitely helps me to eat under my calories. I was still late to eat breakfast but I did make it in time for it to count as Breakfast. (I have new rules to stick by like breakfast is between 7 and 9.30) but only just and I tagged my snack on to it. The down side to eating many meals its the time it takes to prepare them is eating into my other time. I will need to work in a prep time in the morning so Im not just wasting my day. Yoga, hmm the just do it plan never worked either, maybe I need to find a structured class for it. Bike time is indefinably still on tho and Im determined to climb the hill today. Whether I get to the top is another matter. My next door neighbour was having new fitted windows today. I wish she would have told me so I could have arranged to go out. It did nothing to put me in a good mood. I sat tatting for a while, made very slow progress. It was more do a little, look at it, realized I had a)miscounted the stitches, b) found the stitches were twisted the wrong way c) mis counted the rings.One particular ring was undone so many times I thought at one point just give up. But I didnt. Its days like today I know I need to concentrate more not slack off into depression. Its one of the reasons why I like tatting. I learn to count to 4 picot count some more, it does wonders for the concentration and helps me relax and unwind. Progress today for tatting is Im an expert at undoing.
    Kate
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    The "Jim" storm wasn't as bad in Oklahoma City as just south of us. Where my hubby's son and his family live they got over 11" inches of rain last night and a little further south they got over 13". It's beginning to move out up towards Tulsa but will be gray and rainy all day. I don't mind. I seem to get a lot done around the house on gray days.

Pip - glad you got a laugh, in actuality the big girl panties probably would have done just fine last night :)

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet: You are absolutely right. Big Girl panties are wimpy compared to Granny Panties. :laugh: I hope you don’t have serious damage from the flooding. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Coming to terms with bad things that happened when you couldn’t protect yourself takes determination and courage. I agree with Barbie and also admire you for it. :heart: On the shooting in Charleston, I live my life without watching TV news 90% of the time. I didn’t know about the Charleston tragedy. I hope they catch the shooter. Killing people in church is heinous. Someone tried it in a Colorado church a few years ago and a women parishioner with a concealed carry permit shot the perp and saved her congregation. The Colorado shooter did not appear to be racially motivated.

Thanks to those who offered advice about the situation with my friends who want to buy a home here. A neighbor is sending me an email list that will allow me to send each owner of the sort of home they want a message. I have the message composed and ready to go. :smiley:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    Options
    oh - paid for our pull thru spot for the MS ride!! it's secure and reserved!!! AND i'm up to $740 bucks or as I call them beans!!! my boss donated 200.00!! only got $260 to go!!
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Tougher day today... not really sure why, but getting through it. Made it 3.3 miles for my run - shortest distance in a while, but started earlier, and really prefer for some reason to start about 9:30 a.m. That's apparently when my body is ready... Got about 25 guests on the ranch, and wanted to run before they were out and about, but ran into all of them anyway while they were walking to breakfast.

Will just have to run the road the other way tomorrow, and keep Daisy leashed. She'll hate the leash part, but is well-behaved. Hate doing it to her, but don't want her to stumble into a coyote trap. Corey and I can take her out to run behind one of the hunting buggies this Sunday after everyone leaves, and make it up to her. She can run 13-15 mph for an hour, literally... I've seen her do it.

Here's a link to a good article about the psychology of longevity - of course the study was done on men, it started in the 1970s, they would have never thought to do it on women then! :). Over the course of 40 years, the difference between those who keep moving and those who didn't is significant, and interesting.

@SlenderClassyElegant , my deepest sympathies. No one should ever have to lose a child. We're glad you're here. Lots of broad shoulders to lean on, and lean in.

Carey - I think salt is definitely one of my bugaboos. Someone--possibly Sylvia? mentioned it. I know that when my calories are lower, I'm more salt-sensitive, so my water-retention is super high. And while I've only had one bad day calorie-wise, if I'm eating empty calories, they're always salty carbs--popcorn to be exact. Going to try to keep it down next week and see if it will bump me off my current stall... Oh - and on Excel, try looking at trendlines instead of number ticks and see if it will give you a better pic? Just a thought, might not be useful.

To all who are new, welcome... we're glad you're here.

Warmest regards to all,
    Lisa in Sunny West Texas
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Sylvia, how cute of your Granddaughter!!! Your meal sounds so yummy and I like that it was easy, too.

Jen, that is so sad about your daughter. I can’t even imagine such a loss. ((Hugs)) Many of us on here have become friends as you will if you come every day. We do our visiting and supporting in this group so most of us are not even on each other’s friends list. But we notice if someone is MIA for a day or two so we usually let everyone know if we plan to be away. It’s like a little family here and we always welcome newcomers.smiley-signs060.gif

Michele,nc,
    it is amazing to me how often items (especially sale) don’t ring up correctly at stores. The funny thing is, the error always seems to be in favor of the store, never me? Sometimes it’s hard to watch because of the way the register is situated, but it’s a good idea when we can. On your water exercises, it does sound like a good idea to just go when it’s convenient for you and do your own routine. You know what exercises are the best and can do them at a rate that works for you. Shoot, you might end up with a following and have your own class. Lol

Rori, I can’t imagine all that travel and trying to eat right. Actually until I lost weight, I never had the energy to even attempt what you are doing. Way to go, girl!

Nancy, why are you starving yourself?? I remember that your health coach has you on lower calories but this doesn’t sound right???? Are these protein drinks something you make or something you buy? If you buy them, where are they sold? (Just curious) I know some places push drinks and bars but always heard that real food beats anything else. But what do I know? Just be healthy. Have you had a lot of rain? It just looks like it won’t stop out there. When I first read your FWD, I was trying to figure out what it was. That’s too funny!!

NMMargaret, Great job on finding the clothes for your mom. I know that is a load off your mind, at least till the next time. You are a good girl.smiley-angelic002.gif

Mary, it’s good that you got a break and your MIL got her girl’s night. Sure wish we were close so we could come help. We’d have you packed up and share some laughs at the same time.smiley-chores025.gif

Gigi, you joined by coming in and posting. Welcome! The next step is to tell us a little about yourself, so we can get to know you. This is a very friendly and supportive group of ladies. Please sign each post with your name that you want to be called, and a general location. Come often and join right in.

Heather, so happy for you in getting a good night’s sleep!! I hope it’s the first of many. I’m so proud of you to be able to keep writing about times that are painful. You are a real inspiration. smiley-computer004.gif

Carol, I hope you can get your mom’s house rented quickly to help with the expenses.

Agnes, I agree with you. “those darn carbs are in everything” and besides that, they taste so darn good! Some things just aren’t fair.

Poop, it certainly sounds like you are getting your exercise. I hope you get the contacts corrected before the weekend. It’s not good when you can’t see. Good luck.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.

Love ya, ladies,smiley-signs058.gif
    Janet
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm here too! Just got started a week ago and I've already gone from 183 to 180!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My goal is 160. Really, I would like to be down to 142-- my weight throughout my 30s and 40s-- but 160 would be great, for now. I'm in upstate NY now but usually reside in West Africa.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

Alison: health comes first. If necessary, write DH another note. :)

Katla: fwiw I would let the neighbors know. You’re tactful; I’m sure you will be able to do that without making them feel they have to move away, lol.

Michele: lol, my Mom always says “yee gads”! Thanks for reminding me. Looking forward to the photos of your finished art!

Pip: really sounds like the contact is bad. Please don’t risk your eye health.

Carey: like your thought for the day (survivor).

I went to the gym yesterday for the first time in a while (bronchitis etc.) I only did a modified version of my program, but it felt good and I (finally) slept well.

Three meetings at work in the city today. My guy is cooking, so that’s good!

Hope we all have a good day!

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I need help! Just had my blood test result and after 4 months of MFP, more exercise, a nine pound weight loss and trying really hard to stay in the 1200-1300 calorie range, my total cholesterol is UP 10 and my LDL is UP 13. HDL went UP 4 and is good. Triglycerides are DOWN 33 and are good. What else do I have to do to get that LDL down? Want to scream and not looking forward to visiting the doc on Monday. DO NOT WANT DRUGS FOR THIS! Has anyone else been through this? I really do feel hungry and whiny now. Any advice??? I will not give up, but I am weary of the fight. Am too bummed to read all the lovely posts above mine today.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Allison – Hugs and prayers for your kidney situation. My DH doesn’t understand the need to see doctors either, It’s frustrating to say the least. I hope he can find peace with it, knowing that you are just trying to stay as healthy as possible for him, yourself, and others. Good luck !

Katla - If someone in my neighborhood just randomly walked up to me and stated that they had friends that were looking to move into the neighborhood I would NOT find that weird or awkward, and I would then likewise start telling the other neighbors that I know. Random people stop and talk to me about random subjects all the time, so I would just presume you are being a good friend. I vote for telling whomever you wish. Update: I’m sure you will find the correct words.

Michele – My calves are mostly fine after the backwards walking. They did want to cramp up a little last evening during my planks, but I stretched them out.

Rori – Safe Travels. I’ve never been to Kentucky, so feel free to post a beautiful picture.

Joyce –Be careful what you ask for (haha) I don’t have any good pictures on my new phone, but I will start over again soon. Thanks for asking, cuz this kid surprises me on a regular basis. Here are the top 3 finishes in 2 of the 3 division where my son placed for the MetroMilwaukee Youth City Bowling Tournament:

Doubles, DIV 1: 321-370, Handicapped
    Place Team name Entry Score From
    1 Stuckert, Brodie / Fakler, Payne G 1 1,338* Franklin, WI
    2 Fortier, Nick / Blazej, Benjamin M 4 1,315* Oak Creek, WI
    3 Schweiger, Amber / Kraase, Tyler J 5 1,306* Greenfield, WI

Singles-Boys, Scratch 186 and Over, Scratch
    Place Team name Entry Score From
    1 Dallmann, Daniel S 7 733* Franklin, WI
    2 Fakler, Payne G 1 699* Franklin, WI
    3 Fischer, Charlie 1 694* Franklin, WI

He also got Second Place for All Events, but I don’t remember the score and can’t find the posting for it right now.

1st Place: $1,000 & Hammer Epidemic Bowling Balls
    Geri Anderson-Hoefs, Robert Corragio & Payne Fakler - West Allis, WI
    This is from 2011 when he and his friend won the Hall of Fame Tournament.

Team_Name: West Allis Hale JV Player_Name
    Frames Strikes Strike_Per Spares Spare_Per Opens Open_Per Fill_Per
    Payne Fakler 164 75 45.7317 52 31.7073 37 22.5610 77.4390 (fill means strike or spare in a frame)

Heather – Hugs and Prayers and admiration !

Pip – Hugs for your contact lens/eye trouble. I hope you get things fixed VERY soon.

Bkrimpet – Hugs for your labs.

Counting down the days until my mammo, then CountryUSA. Forecast says rain Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm glad I spent the money for the covered seats.

Last night I stayed at work to ride the bike for 20 minutes. Before bed I did all 3 planks for 1 full minute, with the first 20 seconds on my toes instead of my knees. I was really shaky, but my core is feeling tighter. Yay Me ! ! !

Welcome to everyone new. Welcome back to everyone who has been gone for awhile. Hugs for everyone who needs one.

In fact, as usual, Hugs for Everyone ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Charm4u76132
    Charm4u76132 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi, bkrimpet. What are your % of Carbs, Proteins and Fats while you've been eating 1200-1300 calories?
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    Options
    Bkrimpet - some of the thinnest, healthiest people I know have high chloresterol. It's nearly all genetic. You could get it down by eating only vegetables :noway: And heads of raw garlic. :noway: I always had perfect chlorestorol, even when I was obese and eating loads of butter. Perversely, some people swear by a high fat, low carb diet - worth a try maybe. ? Personally I would just take the lowest possible drug dose - it really works.
    I have high blood pressure and it is exactly the same now as it was when I was obese. All my exercise goes for naught. :sad: I know I eat too much salt, but my blood sodium is normal. I could go low salt, but my life wouldn't be worth living! ! ! :laugh: So I just take the lowest possible dose to keep it in the normal range and everyone is happy, including the insurance companies. No extra premium. I enjoy my food too much to sacrifice pleasure.

Heather UK

27681614.png