Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
    Options
    I just had the BEST NSV so far! Doing my lunch time weight training and I was sharing the squat rack with a personal trainer. So far I can squat 50Kg and he asked me if I'm going any higher to which I replied "No, I thought I would stay at 50Kg and check my form is ok and I'm comfortable before I go higher." To which he said "Pffft your form is better than most men in this gym!" I was like :open_mouth:Really?! Made my day! :lol:

I just had to share it with you all, because that has actually made the lack of movement on the scales completely worth it. :smile:
  • VitaSh
    VitaSh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am purposefully gaining weight to pack on some quality muscle but deathly afraid at the same time as I'm doing it (gaining weight on purpose..are you insane? - says my subconscious). But I know I have to, since being 7.8% competition-ready body fat is not healthy and the fact that I'm not there anymore is GOOD. But post competition I had the biggest binge of my life, I don't even know how much cereal, burger, brownie, jerky, candy, ice cream I've eaten. I looked like I was about to give birth to triplets smh lol and I felt like complete death. Ugh, definitely lesson learned for the future.
  • stiglich2002
    stiglich2002 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I ate 4 pieces of pizza last night. Ugh! Trying to be better tonight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    I just had the BEST NSV so far! Doing my lunch time weight training and I was sharing the squat rack with a personal trainer. So far I can squat 50Kg and he asked me if I'm going any higher to which I replied "No, I thought I would stay at 50Kg and check my form is ok and I'm comfortable before I go higher." To which he said "Pffft your form is better than most men in this gym!" I was like :open_mouth:Really?! Made my day! :lol:

I just had to share it with you all, because that has actually made the lack of movement on the scales completely worth it. :smile:

That is awesome!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    So, for dinner last night I had Cheese Nips and a handful of chocolate eggs leftover from Easter. And beer. Yay!
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I can't see gifs or any image really on the Android app. :/

Really? I can. Are you on an older phone?

I have the Galaxy S6 and can't see the images either. Almost caught up! I've been behind for days! Glad it's Friday since the thread ramps up Friday and then slows down on the weekend. I also have to catch myself before quoting one of you to friends IRL. Although, my husband knows about the thread and how involved I am. When we first started I would explain what thread I was talking about...even though it's the only one I've ever followed. Now I just say "The Thread", he laughs and I update him.

Also, wanted to say kudos to everyone that defended the thread a couple nights ago. Everyone handled it so well, and explained instead of getting angry. There is one poster that jumped on, 20+K posts, and I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach because I was so afraid that things were going to turn nasty. Was very glad that it didn't get nasty, and I didn't chime in because I knew I was way behind. Although if this thing does implode then, as @Tubbs216 put it, to the bat cave!!!
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    confession (i don't mind being judged, though. in fact, i welcome any input)

in short:
    i'm beginning to look down on fat people.

in long:
    although, even after losing ~10 kilogram (~22 pounds), i'm still overweight myself ... but i feel so much fitter now and i don't doubt that i can reach my goal anymore. so in my mind i'm practically already thin.

judging other fat people while being one of them always felt kinda ok - i was never vocal about it anyway - but now that i'm fulfilling my long kept dream of getting in shape i can see how i judge being overweight more and more as being just lazy. not proud of it but that is what i realized about myself.

... maybe this is comparable to what many smokers told me: that the worst and most proselytizing people aren't non-smokers but past-smokers.

I kind of understand what you mean, except when I hit a plateau and all of a sudden it became really difficult, and then I had all the empathy in the world for those who're bigger than me. I'm glad you've not hit any kinks in the road yet (I'm assuming from your post) but if you do, I bet it'll change your mind set. Not judging, I was similar at first!
  • spamarie
    Options
    Morning all. Just checking in. Meds taken. Am now going to walk up to Charlie's school to do swimming with his class. I do it every friday.

Sounds fun:). How hot is it in England during the summer?

Hah not very at the moment! It depends. It can vary but if it gets above about 23-25 celcius we view it as a heat wave and start panicking. It's not gotten above about 16 celcius where I live though, and that's below average even for us.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Heading out for a hair cut and color. Later, all! Enjoy that photo of the Barber boys while I'm gone. :p

Jeez, people! I leave early for the afternoon, and come back in the morning to 500 posts! All right, I've got my coffee, ready to try and catch up. Hello from page 984.
  • kellienw335
    kellienw335 Posts: 1,745 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yay! That is awesome to hear! And glad you're back! I missed you in a non-stalky kind of way!

ETA: Was this one of the trainers that you thought was talking about you?
  • MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Here is a happy Hedgehog for everyone.

vjv8fvwq9l85.jpg

This is how all of you make me feel.

41z5bzl4io8y.jpg

I LOVE happy hedgehog! He/she's so stinking adorable. I want to hold and cuddle him/her.

• spamarie
    Options
    Confession:

I ate a load of cheese flavoured Doritos and now I feel sick.

The really dumb part is Doritos ALWAYS make me feel sick (along with lots of other flavoured crisps, I think I'm intolerant to one of those ingredients), yet I persist anyway. Thankfully this is the first time I've had Doritos in about 2 years. Now I remember why!
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    The problem with owning too many shoes is you can never find the ones you want to wear among all the boxes. The good thing is when you find a pair you bought months ago but never wore, forgot about and then find again. And they are perfect. Total win.

I believe I have mentioned both my shoe obsession and 'shopping in my closet' before. :)

Put all your shoes in clear bins and get a label maker and put the size, brand, color, and style of shoe on the label and stick it to the box. That's what I do for everything but my boots and tennies. I love my label maker!

• xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    xMrBunglex wrote: »
    I will eat my favorite food and not eat the rest of the day just to not go over my calories.

Mathematically, that'll work. Sometimes I skip lunch so I can have a big dinner. BUT it's a lot better to heave your intake spread out over the day & keep you metabolism humming throughout.

But if I'm having taco pizza for dinner, then dammit, it's water & Diet Mt. Dew all day!

OMG that sounds interesting!

It is pretty awesome.

I get a Boboli whole wheat crust, the "sauce" is refried black beans with salsa mixed in, the meat is Jennie-o Taco seasoned turkey, and then top it with 2% mexican blend cheese, green onions, tomatoes, bell peppers & jalapenos.

Once it's done, I top each slice with a tsp of guac & nonfat plain greek yogurt (instead of sour cream.)

Works out to about 300 cals a slice (1/8 pizza), but it's worth it!

• Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I know you hate people apologising for asking you questions, @Susieq_1994, but I only do because I feel like that stereotypical ignorant privileged white girl, and I don't want to offend.

So...there is that - robe, I'm sorry, I don't know the word for it - the long black one with the head and face covering. But it gets to 60C in Oman, right? So, um...how do the women not die of heatstroke?

That's alright, it doesn't offend me! :)

It's called an abaya, and most of them don't cover the head or face--They're basically just black dresses. I wear one myself. The headscarf and niqab (face covering) are all separate pieces. There is one that has a head covering attached as well, but these are mostly worn by older ladies, as it's just an older style.

That said, I wear the abaya and headscarf. I don't find it hot, personally--I actually find it cooler than when I wear "regular" clothing like skirts and blouses because the abaya tends to be very lightweight. It's also because I've been covering for a very long time--If I didn't cover, I'd probably feel hotter due to the sun burning my skin!

My sister wears a niqab, and according to her, it did feel very hot in the first week, but she says it doesn't feel like that anymore now that she's used to it.

Just an add-on: The abaya isn't a must, Islamically. Women are encouraged not to wear very bright colors for the purpose of attracting men (yes, men have a rule that involves not attracting women--it isn't a sexist rule), but you're allowed to wear whatever color you like, as long as you're covered properly.

I prefer the abaya in Saudi Arabia because everyone wears it (I've seen like... two people so far that didn't... Even the non-Muslims wear it!) and I just don't want to stand out. In Oman, I often wear regular colored dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. Unless I'm lazy. Because the abaya is really easy to just throw on and be done. ;)

Can I ask some follow ups? You say your sister wears a niqab; was that something she decided to do as an adult? And how did she come to that decision? And are you wearing your regular clothes under the abaya? Or is it like a "dress".

Thanks for educating me! :)

Yes, she decided to start wearing it two years ago. Nobody else in our family wears it and she's unmarried, so nobody influenced her in that decision--in Islam there are some scholars (I refuse to count the Sheikh Google people...) who believe the niqab is obligatory, and others who believe it is simply recommended based on evidence from the Qur'an and hadith. After doing some studying, my sister chose to go with the scholars who believe it's obligatory, and began covering her face from then on.

You do have to wear clothing under an abaya--it's basically a cover, but the material is too thin to wear with nothing but underwear underneath, for example. I usually wear jeans and a tank top underneath it--since we have to remain covered, it's best to have your legs covered in case the wind blows it up, for example. :) But I would wear the same under a dress, actually, although I would probably wear cotton pants underneath in that case.
  • MoHousdon
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Confession: I ordered an awesome pair of purple sunglasses from Versace. They were back ordered and I was impatient and grumpy yesterday so I skipped the gym and went to Sunglass Hut and bought a pair of rose / wine colored Burberry's. Just got notice today the Versace's will be here tomorrow. Whoops. Total impulse buy, but I'm already feeling fabulous in the Burberry's. Can hardly wait to get the Versaces!

I just discovered how much I adore Burberry perfume. I'd love to see your sunglasses. Post a picture?

Oh, me too! Smells so good. I usually wear Angel, but Burberry is my next fragrance purchase for sure. I love perfume!

And I would also like to see the sunglasses. LOL

It's this one I'm specifically obsessed with...
    jy55x1qnaqun.png

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I like being friends with the people from this thread.

Because I know nobody will put their judgy pants on when they see my diary. ;)

Have you guys seriously had people judge you about your diaries?

I don't recall ever having anyone judge anything I ate but I think I had someone question me about my sodium intake a few times.

The only time I would judge someone about their food diary or delete them would be from them eating under 1,000 calories everyday.

I would only give constructive criticism if someone asked for it & usually only looked at food diaries to see if I could get any new food ideas. Personally I found looking at food diaries to be tedious.
    No, I haven't, and I'd probably un-friend anyone who did. I rarely have time (or interest, to be honest) to look at anyone else's diary, and I'd find it disconcerting if someone started giving me a hard time about my butter consumption.

I haven't had anyone judge me. But I've heard of it happening on here. Just random trolls I suspect.

Just selfconscious I suspect on my part.

Same here! I've had friends comment and it made me feel weird because I rarely even look at anyone else's dairy

If I 'like' your post that you finished your food log, I have looked.....I would never like something I did not look at....cuz what if I was liking that you drink 18 beers a day and do not eat for three days straight?

I now want to do this just to see who reacts. Ha!

ETA: Logging that way, not actually doing it. I can't not eat for three hours (when awake). I'd never make it three days.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I was watching Terminator 2 last night and made an AMAZING epiphany!!! @BZAH10 is Sarah Connor!! I recognize the shoulder!!! ;)

71dzoe8ppi9n.jpg
  • MoHousdon
    Options

That's awesome, good for you!