Thoughts on Ketchup?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    When I was (literally) a starving student, I would go to a fast food joint, steal a few packages of ketchup, squirt it into a cup and add boiling water. Presto! Tomato soup.

Sort of.

That is...sad. :(

I lived on $15 a week on groceries. That was pretty tough, especially since I didn't have much time for food prep. (I was sick for other reasons than food. LOL.)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    draznyth wrote: »
    How about when you get one of those ketchup packets and you open it and the color is little off? I'm like..i aint eaten that. And then you give your buddy the crappy ketchup packet. So cruel.

have you seen the green ketchup packets? I'm trying to remember where they had those

like, the ketchup itself was actually green
    Maybe on St. Pattys day and you were drinking?

Sadly...it was a thing

weird-green-purple-ketchup.PNG
    Love it. I hope it comes out the other end that color. :)
    But he did say green ketchup packets. Where are the green ketchup packets?

I could have swore I saw packets before at some fast food joint

but I may just be losing my mind

@draznyth They gave out green ketchup at Burger King a few years ago for St. Patrick's Day.

423109_409254612421214_134615383218473_1798162_1368270170_n1.jpg

Took my boys that day... They had a fun day with green tongues!! They didn't want to brush their teeth because of that. :laugh:

So no, you're not losing your mind. :smiley:

props! :mrgreen:
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I just hate buying ketchup because I use it so infrequently that it just ends up going to waste.

Salsa on the other hand I use a lot. I was skeptical about the current brand I'm using because it comes from Texas, but it turned out to be pretty good.
    Does ketchup go bad? I always assumed it was like twinkies...

And seriously, what's with all the Texas hate today? Why would a state that borders Mexico not have good salsa?! Would you rather your salsa from Canada?

Because people from most of the country think that salsa should taste like marinara sauce.

There is nothing so depressing as going to a "Mexican" restaurant in the midwest. It's a soul-sucking experience.

Even the good brands make "extra mild" salsa for certain markets.

Extra. Mild. That's not salsa. That's chopped up tomatoes.

Ugh, oh heck no. It's gotta have some fire to be fit for the table.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    When I was (literally) a starving student, I would go to a fast food joint, steal a few packages of ketchup, squirt it into a cup and add boiling water. Presto! Tomato soup.

Sort of.

That is...sad. :(

I lived on $15 a week on groceries. That was pretty tough, especially since I didn't have much time for food prep. (I was sick for other reasons than food. LOL.)

haha it reminds me of when my best bro back in the day would ask for extra lemons with his water and use sugar packets to make lemonade
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I just hate buying ketchup because I use it so infrequently that it just ends up going to waste.

Salsa on the other hand I use a lot. I was skeptical about the current brand I'm using because it comes from Texas, but it turned out to be pretty good.
    Does ketchup go bad? I always assumed it was like twinkies...

And seriously, what's with all the Texas hate today? Why would a state that borders Mexico not have good salsa?! Would you rather your salsa from Canada?

Because people from most of the country think that salsa should taste like marinara sauce.

There is nothing so depressing as going to a "Mexican" restaurant in the midwest. It's a soul-sucking experience.

Even the good brands make "extra mild" salsa for certain markets.

Extra. Mild. That's not salsa. That's chopped up tomatoes.

Word.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    nycpips wrote: »
    bad for ya? I like it on my eggs.

I like it on my eggs also
    In fact will be making myself an omelet for dinner tonight and will be topping it w/ ketchup/catsup..... :smile:
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    We stick to the 5 ingredients or less when buying packaged foods, and only if those ingredients are good for you foods. That said we tried making our own condiments (mayo and ketchup). None of the ketchups were even remotely good. Mayo is easy and tastes SO much better if you make it. You can add whatever you like is small batches. We now buy Annie's ketchup. At least it doesn't have high fructose corn syrup?

Does it taste good? I'm somewhat familiar with her dressings ...some are good, some are not bought again. lol

Tastes ok. I'm not a huge ketchup fan, so I have to go by my boys. Organicville is preferred over Annie's, but harder to find. I've been trying to find there favorite one for an embarrassingly long time for you. There is one at whole foods that they loved, it was a sample ketchup night. So it really depends. Some are smoky, some are sweeter, some are richer more tomato flavor.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i prefer to make fry sauce... ketchup, mayo, splash of relish
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Was it one of these packets?

76004169.ashx

[img]http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width/hash/6d/26/6d2688013e9cbc9950b82bd91beaed44.jpg?itok=8uh6MDeT [/img{[/img]41F%2BenL1sML.jpg

Two are actually ketchup, one is relish.
  • dandandandandandandandan
    Options
    Catsup used to be the most popular condiment in the US. Now it's salsa. It's not because more than 50% of the country is Hispanic, it's because salsa is better. Fewer calories, more bulk, tastier...what's not to like?
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I want one! :)
    pia1uy8kd9w0.gif

It's really important everyone see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WX58CZwyiU
  • KCastilleja88
    KCastilleja88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Its not horrible but its also not the greatest. I avoid it but I prefer mustard.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    @Gska17 Thank you for posting that. :) So much better. It also reminded me of how important soundtracks are to a movie. :)
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Gska17 wrote: »
    I want one! :)
    pia1uy8kd9w0.gif

It's really important everyone see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WX58CZwyiU

loooooooooooooool the music

I just died
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member