Thoughts on Ketchup?

Options

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I just hate buying ketchup because I use it so infrequently that it just ends up going to waste.

Salsa on the other hand I use a lot. I was skeptical about the current brand I'm using because it comes from Texas, but it turned out to be pretty good.
    Does ketchup go bad? I always assumed it was like twinkies...

I think it can separate, turn dark and get a little funky. I don't know for sure, but my boyfriend "inherited" a bottle of it from his old roommates and it's been around for years. I don't touch the stuff; I bought my own fresh bottle.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    I just hate buying ketchup because I use it so infrequently that it just ends up going to waste.

Salsa on the other hand I use a lot. I was skeptical about the current brand I'm using because it comes from Texas, but it turned out to be pretty good.
    Does ketchup go bad? I always assumed it was like twinkies...

And seriously, what's with all the Texas hate today? Why would a state that borders Mexico not have good salsa?! Would you rather your salsa from Canada?

I don't think ketchup spoils exactly due to the acid content, but it does develop off-flavors and the texture gets wonky as water separates out.

As for Texas, I just enjoy poking that particular bear. And we have a number of excellent local producers here in Colorado.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Love it!
    I also use it to cook with all the time.
    Tip: If you want to get rid of that sharp, raw taste Tomatoes have when you make Bolognese Sauce/Spaghetti sauce....add a couple of Tablespoons of Ketchup.

my mom taught me that!
  • waldermom
    waldermom Posts: 5 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Miss it! Among other things, (gluten and dairy) I have had to give up Nightshades- tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant (no great loss there), and all forms of bell and chilli peppers. So as you can imagine, condiments have become a bit of an issue. I have discovered the key to the flavor of ketchup is the vinegar and spices. I've adapted a recipe (cutting down the sugar, leaving out additional corn syrup, and cutting 3/4 of the salt) and find that I have a substitute that works quite well in other recipes- dressings, spreads, crockpot roasts, stew, baked beans and sloppy joes. I can't have fries or hash browns anymore, and never had it on my eggs, so I don't know if it would stand on it's own... but I'm glad I have it. Now that I'm here, I'll have to compare my recipe to the real thing for calorie and nutrient content!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Three tomatoes are walkin' down the street.
    Papa Tomato, Mama Tomato and Baby Tomato.
    Baby Tomato starts lagging behind, and Papa Tomato gets really angry.
    Goes back and squishes him and says: "Ketchup."
    Ketchup.
  • Modern_athena
    Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Love it. I eat low sugar ketchup though.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is disgusting. Sriracha on burgers is much better.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

internet-high-five-place-hand-here-right-480x444.jpg
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid sugar so I cut it out.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    ONLY for burgers.
  • blwasson73
    blwasson73 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I didn't like the taste of most ketchup, either too sweet or too salty, but then found Sir Kensington brand. Tastes like homemade and only has a few ingredients with no HFCS. Pricy but worth it for us as little as we use it.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    You know what I love about MFP. I commented here and now I have ketchup and mustard ad pop ups. Guys dressed up as ketchup and mustard bottles. lol
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    i love ketchup, although it does have sugar and extra calories, usually i am putting it on something that is high caloric anyway so it doesn't matter. :smile:
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Love the stuff. Just don't use it as a "Sketti" sauce.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I love me some ketchup. I have to weigh mine for sure though because I'm a ketchup monster. I only really eat it with burgers and fries now though.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    nycpips wrote: »
    bad for ya? I like it on my eggs.

I don't care for ketchup but it isn't bad for you in reasonable quatities that fit your calorie goal.
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Ketchup is gross. :(
  • elleykat
    elleykat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

^^^1,000 times this
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I ate it when I was 5 years old

it's a great way to ruin anything involving meat by making it taste like a jar of sugar mixed with some tomato juice
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    and if you put it on steak then you deserve to have that steak forcefully removed from your possession