adipex - diet pill

Options

Replies

• Peachiko87
    Peachiko87 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Peachiko87 wrote: »
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Pretty sure most of us know what a calorie is... I've been watching what I eat/etc for well over a month, before my doctor prescribed Phentermine, even lost 11lbs, before the appointment. >_>;

For me, it is an appetite suppressant, that is all, because feeling like you're starving ALL THE TIME IS SUPER AWESOME. /thumbs up! /sarcasm

So when my doctor suggested it, to help re-train my body, I was like, "Why not? Surely it is better than feeling miserable all the time." Since then I have lost another 5lbs, because I DO watch what I eat, and now with the suppressant part, I don't feel like a dying whale, lost in an ocean of empty calories. I don't reach for quick foods, anymore, I take the time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner, even plan my snacks. For the first time, in years, I wake up, and feel like I have the energy to actually take on the world.

Don't judge people, because they needed a little extra help... You don't know anything about us, about our personal lives, about what we need to actually do to get into being healthier human beings. The fact is we're all on the right track, as long as what we're doing works for us, that's all that matters.

Also, thank you, although your good luck is not needed, it is appreciated.

pretty mean-spirited and snarky reply there...

I'm someone who has used stimulants to lose weight before, and even used them to starve myself down to a very unhealthily low BMI

I gained all that weight back eventually

then I learned how to eat properly and exercise (i.e. LIFT HEAVY YO) and made good lifestyle changes

what everyone is trying to tell you is that the pills will help in the short term, but in the long term they will do more harm than good

but if you want to keep being defensive and lashing out at people who are trying to help you, then...well we certainly can't stop you. you'll learn eventually through your own experience

I wasn't at all being mean spirited;; Snarky, maybe a little.
    Is it not mean spirited to say someone doesn't know what something is, or is not, while lumping them into a group all together?

I know that pills are short term, I had a long conversation with my personal doctor about this, the key is to use the medicine correctly, while maintaining good habits. Which I am doing. =_=; I'm only being defensive, because it seems like everyone judges you, while not knowing a single thing about you. I am simply a girl who replied to the OP's comment, who asked about a medicine she was starting. A medicine that apparently many people are using. I gave my two cents, from my knowledge, and then felt insulted, by the generalization that Alyssa used. So yes, I am a little defensive about it, because for once, I actually know what I'm doing, or at least FEEL like I do, and I'm in control of it.

I've yo-yo dieted before, too. That being said, I've had plenty of experience! >_< For many years, since I was 14, I've struggled with my weight. I'm 27 now, and I've decided enough is enough. I was able to do it by myself for a month, before heading to the doctor's office again, who, once again, stated how healthy I am! You know, aside from being "obese" and whatnot. I told him my eating habits, and how I exercise, how I feel, and he ran the standard tests, and then an EKG so that he could prescribe Phentermine. I've been on it for just over 2 weeks now, and I feel great, the only difference is that I don't feel like I'm starving all the time. Whoo!

Like I said before, I do appreciate concerns and feedback, however, I did not ask for any, the OP did.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is so much misinformation in this thread that I can't address it all. I know that everyone here on adipex thinks that they have the answers because their doctors prescribed them the pills. It has become evident that none of you really understands what a calorie is and how our bodies use calories. @prettyleelee @tflyswagg @jdingus728 @Peachiko87 please read this link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you are all still hell-bent on taking your pills (which I have taken in the past and trust me when I say I wish I had never put my body through that and I will never do it again), at least you'll have a bit more of an understanding on how all of this works so maybe you won't be totally screwed when you come off the meds.

Good luck to all of you.

Pretty sure most of us know what a calorie is... I've been watching what I eat/etc for well over a month, before my doctor prescribed Phentermine, even lost 11lbs, before the appointment. >_>;

For me, it is an appetite suppressant, that is all, because feeling like you're starving ALL THE TIME IS SUPER AWESOME. /thumbs up! /sarcasm

So when my doctor suggested it, to help re-train my body, I was like, "Why not? Surely it is better than feeling miserable all the time." Since then I have lost another 5lbs, because I DO watch what I eat, and now with the suppressant part, I don't feel like a dying whale, lost in an ocean of empty calories. I don't reach for quick foods, anymore, I take the time to make breakfast, lunch and dinner, even plan my snacks. For the first time, in years, I wake up, and feel like I have the energy to actually take on the world.

Don't judge people, because they needed a little extra help... You don't know anything about us, about our personal lives, about what we need to actually do to get into being healthier human beings. The fact is we're all on the right track, as long as what we're doing works for us, that's all that matters.

I'm someone who has used stimulants to lose weight before, and even used them to starve myself down to a very unhealthily low BMI

then I learned how to eat properly and exercise (i.e. LIFT HEAVY YO) and made good lifestyle changes

what everyone is trying to tell you is that the pills will help in the short term, but in the long term they will do more harm than good

but if you want to keep being defensive and lashing out at people who are trying to help you, then...well we certainly can't stop you. you'll learn eventually through your own experience

I wasn't at all being mean spirited;; Snarky, maybe a little.
    Is it not mean spirited to say someone doesn't know what something is, or is not, while lumping them into a group all together?

I know that pills are short term, I had a long conversation with my personal doctor about this, the key is to use the medicine correctly, while maintaining good habits. Which I am doing. =_=; I'm only being defensive, because it seems like everyone judges you, while not knowing a single thing about you. I am simply a girl who replied to the OP's comment, who asked about a medicine she was starting. A medicine that apparently many people are using. I gave my two cents, from my knowledge, and then felt insulted, by the generalization that Alyssa used. So yes, I am a little defensive about it, because for once, I actually know what I'm doing, or at least FEEL like I do, and I'm in control of it.

I've yo-yo dieted before, too. That being said, I've had plenty of experience! >_< For many years, since I was 14, I've struggled with my weight. I'm 27 now, and I've decided enough is enough. I was able to do it by myself for a month, before heading to the doctor's office again, who, once again, stated how healthy I am! You know, aside from being "obese" and whatnot. I told him my eating habits, and how I exercise, how I feel, and he ran the standard tests, and then an EKG so that he could prescribe Phentermine. I've been on it for just over 2 weeks now, and I feel great, the only difference is that I don't feel like I'm starving all the time. Whoo!

Like I said before, I do appreciate concerns and feedback, however, I did not ask for any, the OP did.

man I don't think people are being judgmental (not most, a few yea but not most)

a lot of people gave some heartfelt advice from their own personal experiences

and all of us said it was a bad idea (although I haven't used phen like I said, but def plenty of other stims)

some people are going to be dicks but that's MFP

but there was a lot of good advice too. we obv don't know you or the OP personally but we can relate through our own experiences (some more similar than others)

just be careful
  • Peachiko87
    Options

man I don't think people are being judgmental (not most, a few yea but not most)

a lot of people gave some heartfelt advice from their own personal experiences

and all of us said it was a bad idea (although I haven't used phen like I said, but def plenty of other stims)

some people are going to be dicks but that's MFP

but there was a lot of good advice too. we obv don't know you or the OP personally but we can relate through our own experiences (some more similar than others)

just be careful

I read through all of it, I only respond to ones that mention me, though. I've noticed a lot of people on MFP are dicks, but I've also noticed a lot of really nice people, too. It comes with the territory, I suppose. I will be careful, thank you. :smile:
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

Okay, well sounds like you have it all figured out then. I wish you success.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

Also, +1
  • PrincessMom08
    PrincessMom08 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've heard of this stuff before. I did Xantrex 3 way back when and lost weight beautifully with it. Then I did a good job maintaining my weight off of it...until I quit smoking. Then my eating habits went a little nuts, then I got pregnant. SO now I am doing Thrive since it's all natural and it's more along the lines of nutrition. Cleaning my eating back up & going to start my workouts again. Excited to get going!
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    lol I have taken enough ephedrine to give a baby elephant a stroke

stims are not a good way to diet
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

There is a bit of a fallacy in your logic here. I lost weight previously and reached my goal weight without ever using stimulants. I eventually gained all of it back. Lots of people gain the weight back, no matter what method of dieting they use, whether they crash diet, or "learn" to eat sensibly and exercise. There's no evidence that using stimulants is the determining factor in this.

I also have a hunch that a lot of people, like me, already know how to "eat properly and exercise." The hard part is the actually doing it. Hunger is what often prevents people from being successful, and you can't really "learn" to not be hungry.

I'm not for or against using diet pills or stimulants, I think individuals should decide for themselves what works, and what is safe for them. I'm just making the point, that the use of these supplements is not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn't guarantee failure, just as nothing guarantees success, either.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    jdingus728 wrote: »
    I started adipex yesterday to help with weight loss, my goal weight is 150 and im currently 242. Was wondering if anyone on here has had any success with it?

Took it back when it was just phentermine. I will say that it is a tool, not an answer. It will help you control your appetite, but it will NOT teach you good habits. Please be sure to take advantage of that time you've got, the relief from appetite so you can learn healthy, balanced dietary choices and do them every day religiously until it is so ingrained that you no longer need the medicine.

• fatcity66
    Options
    I hate to say it, but this sounds like a very defeatist viewpoint. That hunger is a fixed and immovable thing and that without something to permanently silence it, people are powerless against it. For a certain number of people this may well be true. For the larger portion of people, I believe it is not.

The reality is that most people - between 80% and 95% - who attempt weight loss fail long term. If we are going to fix this, we have to understand why.
    And really, the two scenarios you put up above are more complementary than opposite. There is nothing to prevent a person using a suppressant and learning and to adapt and manage hunger. It is just that it is less likely, because the mindset going in is the same as any fad or crash diet: "this will be a temporary thing and I can go back to the same habits as before when I'm done."

The other problem is that in the "real world" medically, doctors do not give good support for transitioning off the pills. You're on them, you get to a stopping point, and you're off them. And again back to the previous habits.

Again, if this were an issue of "habits", then habits should be relearned within about 3-10 weeks. If you are on phentermine or similar appetite suppressant for 6 months this should be plenty of time to learn new habits.

It's not the habits that are the problem.

I agreed with this. But even habits that have been ingrained, can be broken much more easily and quickly than they were built. That's why weight loss and maintenance is such a struggle for so many.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

Good luck to all of you.

There is a bit of a fallacy in your logic here. I lost weight previously and reached my goal weight without ever using stimulants. I eventually gained all of it back. Lots of people gain the weight back, no matter what method of dieting they use, whether they crash diet, or "learn" to eat sensibly and exercise. There's no evidence that using stimulants is the determining factor in this.

I also have a hunch that a lot of people, like me, already know how to "eat properly and exercise." The hard part is the actually doing it. Hunger is what often prevents people from being successful, and you can't really "learn" to not be hungry.

I'm not for or against using diet pills or stimulants, I think individuals should decide for themselves what works, and what is safe for them. I'm just making the point, that the use of these supplements is not necessarily a bad thing, and it doesn't guarantee failure, just as nothing guarantees success, either.

what fallacy and what logic, exactly?

your point seems to be that people cannot "'learn' to not be hungry". yes, this is true. nobody can "learn" that. what you have to do is learn how to manage hunger.

and how can someone learn to manage hunger if it is being suppressed with stimulants?

once the suppression is gone and the user suddenly has to learn to manage the sensation of hunger that they have not experienced since before taking the stimulants, then what?

also (as you also pointed out), knowing how to eat properly and being able to successfully employ that knowledge are two very different things.
  • fatcity66
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

your point seems to be that people cannot "'learn' to not be hungry". yes, this is true. nobody can "learn" that. what you have to do is learn how to manage hunger.

and how can someone learn to manage hunger if it is being suppressed with stimulants?

once the suppression is gone and the user suddenly has to learn to manage the sensation of hunger that they have not experienced since before taking the stimulants, then what?

also (as you also pointed out), knowing how to eat properly and being able to successfully employ that knowledge are two very different things.

In your previous post you stated that you lost weight losing stimulants but gained it all back. Then you stated you lost weight by making a lifestyle change and I presume, you have kept it off (at least until the present time). So you implied that the reason you gained the weight back the first time was because you used stimulants, instead of pure willpower.
    But that is not proven=LOGICAL FALLACIES=illegitimate arguments or irrelevant points, often identified because they lack evidence that supports their claim.
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

Good luck to all of you.

In your previous post you stated that you lost weight losing stimulants but gained it all back. Then you stated you lost weight by making a lifestyle change and I presume, you have kept it off (at least until the present time). So you implied that the reason you gained the weight back the first time was because you used stimulants, instead of pure willpower.
    But that is not proven=LOGICAL FALLACIES=illegitimate arguments or irrelevant points, often identified because they lack evidence that supports their claim.

I am well aware of what both logic and fallacies are. what I bolded in your reply is certainly not the definition of a logical fallacy

my post was anecdotal, just like that of every other person in this thread who advised against losing weight with stimulants

you cannot claim my argument is fallacious if it is anecdotal...it is not a logical argument in the first place

you say I implied that I gained the weight back because of cessation of the stimulants (i.e. I implied causation between stimulant cessation and weight gain)

I certainly did not imply that

a more accurate inference for you to have made from my original post would be that I implied there is not a causal link between taking the stimulants and losing the weight
  • Peachiko87
    Options

Wellllllll... I dunno if this is valid or not, but for me, the phentermine kinda wears off around dinner time, so usually from 6-7pm until I go to bed (usually around 12am-2am, depending) I manage my own hunger. I'm doing fine, but I also started my "journey" a month BEFORE using phentermine.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Phentermine on it's own is fairly well understood. I'm more than a bit worried about this new class of diet drugs that are combinations with psychoactive meds like buproprinol. Meds that have to warn about risk of suicidal thoughts need to be approached extremely carefully. If doctors are prescribing them without some mechanism for monitoring their patients, we could start to see some extremely unfortunate outcomes.
  • Anna83704
    Anna83704 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I took Phentermine and lost 50 pounds. Having everyone comment on how good I looked was awesome. You know what wasn't awesome? Being a complete B*&#$, dry mouth and the massive headaches when the medicine wore off every day. I figured "hey, I've lost 50 pounds, I can do this on my own. Phentermine was just a little help to get me started." Fast forward a year, and I'm back. At my highest recorded weight, EVER.

I totally understand feeling like you need a little kick start. And I'm certainly not in any position to judge someone taking them, just be careful. Phentermine can seem like a god send in the beginning, but can (and most often does) bite you in the butt in the end.

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    Anna83704 wrote: »
    I took Phentermine and lost 50 pounds. Having everyone comment on how good I looked was awesome. You know what wasn't awesome? Being a complete B*&#$, dry mouth and the massive headaches when the medicine wore off every day. I figured "hey, I've lost 50 pounds, I can do this on my own. Phentermine was just a little help to get me started." Fast forward a year, and I'm back. At my highest recorded weight, EVER.

I totally understand feeling like you need a little kick start. And I'm certainly not in any position to judge someone taking them, just be careful. Phentermine can seem like a god send in the beginning, but can (and most often does) bite you in the butt in the end.

yea I know the feels

on ephedrine I was a *kitten* dick 24/7

esp when I upped my dosage to 100mg/day

like, *kitten* rage machine
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If I were considering this pill, I'd want to see a whole slew of people 1-2 years removed from using it and still successful. If it's just to help you for a short time and then you carry on those habits for the longer term, where are the success stories?
  • fatcity66
    Options

See, ephedrine doesn't make me feel badly at all. I actually feel better and more focused when I am on it, especially at work. Maybe I need to be on Adderal or something. *shrug* I never had problems in school, though. And on the days I don't take it, I don't really notice that my hunger comes raging back. It might be a bit increased, but it's manageable. Mostly it gives me more energy to work out. And it helps my asthma.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    "A logical fallacy is, roughly speaking, an error of reasoning. When someone adopts a position, or tries to persuade someone else to adopt a position, based on a bad piece of reasoning, they commit a fallacy." "Arguments consist of premises, inferences, and conclusions. Arguments containing bad inferences, i.e. inferences where the premises don’t give adequate support for the conclusion drawn, can certainly be called fallacious."
    Just different ways of saying the same thing.