My thighs have gotten bigger!

I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
Monday - burn class (tabata style cardio and strength intervals)
Tuesday - definition class (resistance training)
Wednesday - all terrain spin class
Thursday - spin and strength class (15 min of weights and body weight exercise)
Friday - definition class
Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    How much bigger did they get? You'll get some size from swelling, water retention and such. Unavoidable. It is extremely unlikely/impossible that your legs will keep growing past that point since you are obviously in a deficit and losing weight.

If you stay in a deficit they will get smaller and smaller.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    How much bigger did they get? You'll get some size from swelling, water retention and such. Unavoidable. It is extremely unlikely/impossible that your legs will keep growing past that point since you are obviously in a deficit and losing weight.

Unfortunately I never actually measured them. They've gotten big enough for my mom to comment on it though and for my jeans to feel tighter. Thanks, good to know that they will get smaller if i stay in a deficit.

Does anyone know how long it'll aprox take for them to start getting smaller?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Bump
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Unfortunately, it's not something that we can predict. The body will change how it wants, so there isn't a way to guess a time frame available. And at times, the changes are small, which is why it helps to take progress pictures so that down the road, you might see changes you don't notice from seeing your own reflection on a regular basis. Just do your thing, work hard and have a few things to strive for besides body shape, it will help in the long run.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Unfortunately I never actually measured them. They've gotten big enough for my mom to comment on it though and for my jeans to feel tighter. Thanks, good to know that they will get smaller if i stay in a deficit.

Does anyone know how long it'll aprox take for them to start getting smaller?

You didn't even measure them? Sorry. You have to measure them. Mom commenting doesn't count, and jeans can feel tight if you're bloated/close to time of month/they're fresh out of the dryer.

If you're in a deficit, you'll continue to lose the fat. No one can tell you how long it will take to get to the look you desire.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I've been working out 5-6x a week for the past 5 weeks. I have just been going to group fitness classes. So a typical week would be:
    Saturday - peak class (volume training intervals, plyometrics, calisthetics and resistance) OR spin and core class

I measure all my food and weigh everything. I always get at least 100g of protein per day. My calorie deficit is set at 1200. I am losing weight. I lost about 8 lbs since I started. I'm 6 lbs away from the weight I used to be (124). I can tell that I've gained a lot of muscle all over (newbie gains!) but my thighs have gotten too big. I love that they're more firm now and that my butt is more lifted than ever before, but I want them to be small and toned, not bulky.

What should I do?? I love my exercise routine. I don't want to give up my classes. I am a very pear shaped btw and there still is fat on my legs that I'd love to lose.

I was thinking that if i just kept on doing what I'm doing the fat would eventually come off and my thighs will get smaller. Idk though.

why is your deficit set at 1200? Or do you mean your calorie intake?

also, is your profile picture current?
  • Justthisgirl1994
    @ndj1979

Sorry yeah I meant my calorie intake, not deficit. And yeah it's current
  • arditarose
    @ndj1979

If that's current, I really hope you're not at more than a 250 calorie deficit. You are slim.
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 231 Member
    I noticed as I workout my thighs started to get tight in my jeans. I am sure eventually you will lose the fat and dont worry they are actually hard to get bigger. Just keep doing what you are doing and when you get to your goal weight see if you are happy with your new look
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    @ndj1979

You are already skinny ..why are you trying to lose weight????
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    congrats on your gainz.
  • arditarose
    mike_bold wrote: »
    congrats on your gainz.

Where were you to congratulate me on the gainz I made eating 1200 calories and taking spin class?!

j/k
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @ndj1979

You are already skinny ..why are you trying to lose weight????

Red flags. Red flags everywhere.
  • arditarose
    How tall are you OP?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    So you're putting on massive inches while eating at a deficit, not measuring your thighs, and really not on a hypertrophy friendly plan? Amazing.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    I'm at a deficit of 500. I'm trying to lose weight because I used to weigh less and liked the way I looked back then more. I'm actually not trying to lose too much more, just 3 to 6 more lbs. I'm 5'6. I'm not underweight or anything haha.

@paris458
    Thanks! That's actually pretty reassuring
  • arditarose
    I'm at a deficit of 500. I'm trying to lose weight because I used to weigh less and liked the way I looked back then more. I'm actually not trying to lose too much more, just 3 to 6 more lbs. I'm 5'6. I'm not underweight or anything haha.

@paris458
    Thanks! That's actually pretty reassuring

So why 500 calorie deficit to lose a couple pounds?! Don't you want to save muscle/eat/have fun training?
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Stop spin classes for a month and you will lose all of that water retention
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member

Are you sure you have realistic goals for your body?

• thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    The fat will come off, but if I were you, I'd back off the spin classes. I only do strength training and my legs are so defined and lean, but that comes from fat loss and years of lifting heavy to get them here.