Green Tea

Options
13»

Replies

• klmnumbers
    klmnumbers Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There are also studies that show harm. Green tea prevents the absorption of folic acid and has been linked to neural tube defects in both observational and interventional studies.

This is interesting to me as well. I'm assuming it's not 100% proven or that the effect on absorption isn't terribly strong since I was not counseled about this by my physician or pharmacist when I started taking folic acid to combat methotrexate...

Oh well, I'm drinking green tea right now since the line for coffee was too long, and I can make tea at my desk. Let's hope for the best.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    klmnumbers wrote: »
    There are also studies that show harm. Green tea prevents the absorption of folic acid and has been linked to neural tube defects in both observational and interventional studies.
    I'm assuming it's not 100% proven or that the effect on absorption isn't terribly strong since I was not counseled about this by my physician or pharmacist when I started taking folic acid to combat methotrexate...

Or they didn't know.. or the amount you're taking is large enough to counteract the reduction. Try asking your pharmacist. :+1:

"analysis revealed the high consumption of green tea or oolong tea to be associated with a low serum folate level during pregnancy"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21068474

"results suggest an in vivo interaction between tea and folic acid, with even low concentrations of green and black tea extracts yielding decreased bioavailabilities of folic acid."
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18551467

"There is some concern that green tea might keep folic acid from working the way it should in the body. This might lead to a condition that is similar to folic acid deficiency."
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1017.html
  • iammantistobbogan
    iammantistobbogan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love green tea:). I always finds having s couple of cups gets rid of a bloated tummy for me too x
  • NerdyNix
    NerdyNix Posts: 111 Member
    Options

This is interesting to me as well. I'm assuming it's not 100% proven or that the effect on absorption isn't terribly strong since I was not counseled about this by my physician or pharmacist when I started taking folic acid to combat methotrexate...

Oh well, I'm drinking green tea right now since the line for coffee was too long, and I can make tea at my desk. Let's hope for the best.

I also take the folic acid for methotrexate. Never been advised to avoid green tea either. But I guess not all doctors will think to warn about every single study on effects of meds.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    NerdyNix wrote: »

I also take the folic acid for methotrexate. Never been advised to avoid green tea either. But I guess not all doctors will think to warn about every single study on effects of meds.

It could also be that, for people taking the supplements, the folic acid wins every time.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Not a single thing

actually it does work in conjunction with a calorie controlled diet

but so does riding elephants

Next weeks' Forbes headline:

"Riding elephants linked to losing weight"

Day made!! :D
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's not 100% proven or that the effect on absorption isn't terribly strong since I was not counseled about this by my physician or pharmacist when I started taking folic acid to combat methotrexate...

Or they didn't know.. or the amount you're taking is large enough to counteract the reduction. Try asking your pharmacist. :+1:

"analysis revealed the high consumption of green tea or oolong tea to be associated with a low serum folate level during pregnancy"
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21068474

"results suggest an in vivo interaction between tea and folic acid, with even low concentrations of green and black tea extracts yielding decreased bioavailabilities of folic acid."
    ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18551467

"There is some concern that green tea might keep folic acid from working the way it should in the body. This might lead to a condition that is similar to folic acid deficiency."
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1017.html

Most phycisian don't know. The U.S. Studies have come out over the last decade and the other studies are from China.

I was drinking lots of tea when I was pregnant with my second. I asked my OB about how much I could safely drink when I read the studies. He was unaware of the link. I stopped drinking tea at that point. Baby girl was born with a very minor sacral dimple, but no deficit, thank god.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It is amazing what they don't tell you. That is why I plug every new prescription or supplement into a drug interaction checker (along with my existing ones) that also gives food and lifestyle interactions. This is how I found out that you should not take prilosec (or any acid blockers) at the same time as other medications or supplements. It can block the absorption of whatever you are taking so you should take it so closer than 2 hours. Also, you should not take an iron supplement at the same time you are also taking or eating calcium.