WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2015

Options

Replies

• GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Carol/Peach - I hope your dog gets better with the new treatment. My D BIL spent just over $30,000 after it got hit by a car. First it was a $5000 surgery then another and another he would have euthanized her had he known it was going to be so expensive.

One of our neighbors spent a small fortune on a dog that was like their 'child' - even admitted she slept in the same bed, between them. When they finally ended up 'putting her down'; they had a 'casket' built for her (complete with the same interior that was for a real casket) and even had the preacher come and say a prayer. Now ... that is 'extreme'. I'm almost surprised that they did not put an obituary in the paper or a wake with her laid out in the living room. They now have a golden retriever who is the most 'hyper' dog I have ever been around (even more so that when our late JRT was a puppy) ... and again, she is sleeping in the bed with them. I would think that would 'cure' any notion of an intimate relationship. LOL!

Now I know why my DGD wants to be a 'vet' ($5000 is a lot for surgery on a pet) - even 'if' they are like members of the family. $30,000 is like buying a house in some parts of the country. Maybe it would be different if the lifespan of a dog was that of a human's. Even then, surgery does not always work on humans. I had a friend who had one of the sweetest pit bull dogs and she crawled under the fence to play with the pit bull next door and he tore her to shreds. She hated to have to put her down; but, she would have required over 300 stitches just to put her together again; and, even then the vet could not tell her with any certainty that she would survive the attack.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    I've watched movies that Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and John Belusi were in ... I 'think' it was a movie that one or the other or both of them were in. I just can't remember, just the scene - no faces.
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    II remember a mass of 'screaming' people exiting the pool as this candy bar went floating past ...
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    I've watched movies that Chevy Chase, Bill Murray and John Belusi were in ... I 'think' it was a movie that one or the other or both of them were in. I just can't remember, just the scene - no faces.

I just mentioned them. chevy chase and bill murray were in caddyshack w/the floating baby ruth
    john belushi was in animal house
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Heading out tomorrow for a weekend visit to Chicago where DS and DD live and work. Little over a 6 hour drive depending on stops which if it were up to my husband would be none. I'll make up for the sitting with all the walking we will be doing in Chicago. No real eating worries either as my DD is on the MFP plan and has the stats on all things food in Chicago. She has lost over 20 lbs she put on by moving there and eating out all the time. I tried to warn her but living on your own for the first time in the city and all....she turned it around and is bringing me along for the ride. Same thing happened to DS when he followed her there 2 years later. We turned his head towards MFP a month or 2 ago and I am interested in seeing any changes he has made on this visit. He isn't one to share and I don't want to push him too hard for info. so we will see. Looking forward to visiting them and catching up on their lives. We always take them shopping for anything they may need since they neither have cars in the city. A big grocery bill is somewhere in our weekend but we love doing it for them since we can.
    Confession time....I binged a bit today. Not sure why but found myself in front of the pantry. Doesn't matter what I put in my mouth it is done and did. This time I was able to stop much sooner ..... calorie numbers started floating in front of my eyes and I just got nauseous and stopped. Hmmm....
    Husband is home....dinner, packing, Big Brother...sleep!
    Cheri
  • CrystalConsults
    CrystalConsults Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Day 5 of 1200 cals a day. Ok, today I splurged with 1310. Wow, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that 1200 is NOT MUCH FOOD?! Whatcha eatin'? I travel a lot for work, and I'm telling you, any minute now, I'm gonna turn into a footlong veggie sub. Some ideas please about how to stick to the low cals MFP suggests. Easy at home, not so much on the road.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

Carol NC. :) Wishing you much luck with your surgery!!!

Carol/Peach. :) Hope the meds help your sweet little Pom!!! Our fur babies do become part of our family <3

I'm not sure who posted the pic of the 2 beautiful fur babies hugging, was that you Janetr? They are adorable <3 !!!

Mary. :) Still have my fingers crossed that everything goes well with the appraisal!

Heather. :) Gorgeous grandchildren and gorgeous hubby too <3 !!! Hope things go well selling your flat!

Jane Martin. :) Hope you're doing okay!!!

Becca by the beach :) Fantastic swimming!!!!

Pip. :) Fancy nails!!!

I'm still trying to get used to not having a schedule! I think I need to start planning out my days...I'm doing great on food and exercise but dang I'm running myself crazy! I finally got in my closet yesterday and got about a 1/4 of it done, 3 bags to Goodwill today. I had planned on being back in the closet working a little more today, that didn't happen. My allergies are really bad for some reason, so I took a Zyertec, I had forgotten that they make me sleepy... :# ! I had a nice 2 hour nap, hope I'll be able to sleep tonight!!!

Hmmm...that negative post...I find I tend to ignore negative people, they don't fit in with my life. I do feel sorry for them, if that's all they have to do in life they must be pretty unhappy. That's just sad.

I think this is the most supportive group of women on MFP! I've been here since May of 2012, the women are wonderful and kind and supportive! I'm forever grateful that I found this thread...thank you Barbie!!!

Even though I can't respond to everyone, I think of you all! Sending out wishes for good health and happiness to each of you <3 !

Hugs,
    DeeDee in still steamy NC
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

I just mentioned them. chevy chase and bill murray were in caddyshack w/the floating baby ruth

Thanks for setting me straight on the movies. Now I will remember the movie. Our DGD have started us on the Tyler Perry shows with Medea - laughed so hard at the last one we saw I had tears in my eyes.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »

Thanks for setting me straight on the movies. Now I will remember the movie. Our DGD have started us on the Tyler Perry shows with Medea - laughed so hard at the last one we saw I had tears in my eyes.

at least you didn't fart or pee'd your pants or snorted! or did u
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Margaret: I passed the Senility Prayer along to everyone on my list. Thanks. :smiley:

Mary: Keeping your situation in my prayers. I hope the appraisal is just what you need.

DeeDee: Retirement is a whole new lifestyle. Enjoy yourself as you decide how to spend your time. It took me quite a while to learn how to be happier. You have a big advantage since you already know a wonderful group of supportive women. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

We’re at DSIL’s place staying in her RV, and enjoying it very much so far. It is nice to have space apart from the house, and very generous of her to let us see how RV life might be by lending us hers for our visit. It took quite a bit of effort to get ready for us. I appreciate her more every year. :heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    Medea movies, they are a riot!!!Tyler Perry is a hoot...
    Carol~ sending love and healing wishes for a speedy recovery...
    Grits~ we have 2 small dogs and they sleep with us in bed.. and are very spoiled... we have there predasessors (sp) in tins cremated, and they will be buried the the DH.
    Mary~ hoping the inspection goes wonderful
    We had a great time out today.. I spent money which I dont usually, I did buy myself some shorts, a sundress, new underwear and bra's that were much need and a new pair of scrubs..
    we did go out to lunch and I had chicken parmesan, but I asked for a to go box and put 2/3rd of it in the box, and only at a 1/3 with unsweetened tea..
    I have about 12,000 steps today.. so thats good... working 9-5 tomorrow
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    ☼Good day, lovely ladies!

MNMargaret - Loved the Senility Prayer

Pat - What beautiful pictures of lilies.

Carol - Sending love and good luck to you for tomorrow's surgery.

Stormlover3 - Welcome. Getting off pop is a great goal to have. Let us know how things are going.

DeeDee - I hope you keep us apprised of your life as a recent retiree. I have been on vacation (staycation) since June 8th with one more week to go. I am enjoying this time off, which is lengthy for me. However, I know it does not compare to retirement. I am pretty sure that once I retire I will be the type of person who will want to have structure to at least some of my days, but I am interested in what people do.

<3 This forum has seen only a few negative posts over its time. Once a man tried to get on board :p . He just disappeared again.

Be well and ttyl.
    ♥Renny
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,085 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Carol good luck with surgery tomorrow.

Pat gorgeous flowers. they are one of my favorite things.

Mary hopefully it will be done soon. I know this is a stressful time for you.

Furniture arrived. Unfortunately there was some damage. I paid for padded treatment and they wrapped it in bubble wrap. The damage can be repaired. The pieces were not in mint condition even so they are valuable to me for sentimental reasons. The one piece is definitely shabby chic. An antique yellow painted desk where the paint is beat up. DH couldn't quite understand why I wanted it.

The spindle on the wooden desk was broken. Fortunately I could fit the broken part in the slot that was there. On the yellow desk the break was clean so i was able to glue the piece back on.

You need to click on the pictures below. For some reason it did not post the whole picture like it usually does.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    @Dee Dee - Thank you, yes the hugging fur babies are mine. You can see they are lovable. Lol. Spoiled rotten too.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    got the go ahead to ride home. I am FREEZING with this AC. cant wait to sweat. it supposed to be in the 80's out outside
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, Thursday I only did JJ's Bikini Beach-body II but gave up on BOB. Walked doggy and called in neighbour Susan's so Blaize could run/fight with her 2 dogs Vinnie and Ella. Ella showed her the RIVER and they swam, oh my was he wet but happy doggy. Got in 10275 steps. Had the "berry a'Peeling" juice in afternoon, lovely. Loving my juices.
    Juice today is "Powerball" with blueberries. Will make "lemon essence" and "Top of the morning" for weekend. Need to check out more juices, way to get more fibre intake
    Training today: JJ Blast belly and Circuit A and doggy walk
    Food = 1665 - not bad
    Need to mop floors today and iron husband's jeans
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that I wasn't sure at first that this place was for me, and I feel like a slacker about keeping up with the posts, but one of the best things about this group is the lack of negativity! We can all get that everyplace else, including the mirror, correct? So on with the chatter and support and news and jokes, I say.
    Dumb me, I found out yesterday that I blew one quarter of my calories on a garlic naan bread. Reading really is fundamental. On the plus side it got me on the bike for an hour afterwards in beautiful weather.
  • FitBitter
    FitBitter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone 70 years or older that does physical exercise at the gym? I'm wondering what limitations you may have encountered in regards to the aging body. I'm 75 and got tendonitis from using the water-rower. Doctor said aging tendons have a problem with repetitive action like a rowing machine.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, Day 5 of 1200 cals a day. Ok, today I splurged with 1310. Wow, is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that 1200 is NOT MUCH FOOD?! Whatcha eatin'? I travel a lot for work, and I'm telling you, any minute now, I'm gonna turn into a footlong veggie sub. Some ideas please about how to stick to the low cals MFP suggests. Easy at home, not so much on the road.

The first thing that helped me was to log all my food and analyze where the bigger calorie amounts were coming from and eliminate those things in favor of others. I found out that bread, salad dressings, sauces,and desserts had lots of calories with not too much actual food to eat. You mentioned veggie subs....a salad with a hard boiled egg and no bread or dressing would be fewer calories. It takes time to figure out good substitutions. Take it one day at a time and be open to new ideas. Also being more active will allow you to eat a bit more.

:) Barbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :) DeeDee, about retirement.....even not going to work, you can't get it all done in one day. Enjoy the luxury of starting today and finishing tomorrow. Make lists of what you want to do. Plan to do errands in clusters so you use your time more efficiently. And, most important, enjoy being your own boss.

<3 Barbie