Organic...

Options

Replies

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How about trusting natural mushrooms growing in the forest? Or wild gourds? Is the relative trust misplaced?

Yes, yes, very amusing. Because trusting that food grown without added chemicals may be safer than that grown without is exactly the same as skipping through the forest eating every plant in site.

Why does added chemicals sound like an echo of the term "added sugars" to me?

IDK, because you want it to??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tAi46bv1Z4
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Let's reword this.

Proving something is safe == Proving something can never cause harm.

It isn't possible.

Some people will always use the 'it isn't proven to be safe' argument to justify their distrust in a particular product, failing to realize that the same argument holds true for every food, product, chemical, etc, ever. It is what it is.

Or while fully realizing it.

If that's the case, I presume these people you refer to are viewing every item they eat, drink, wear, use to clean with, etc ad infinitum with similar distrust.

No, I would imagine there are varying degrees of mistrust. As I pointed out several pages ago, trust is what it usually comes down to. Some trust an apple grown without chemicals sprayed on it to be safer than one grown with chemicals sprayed on it.

I'm sure some do. However, since it's not possible to know whether or not the apple or the chemicals alone or in combination are safe*, that trust would be misplaced. Perhaps the chemicals are safer than the apple. Or the combination of the chemicals and the apple are safer than either alone.

* I am of course presuming we are still talking about chemicals (and apples) without proven harmful impact
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Some people will always use the 'it isn't proven to be safe' argument to justify their distrust in a particular product, failing to realize that the same argument holds true for every food, product, chemical, etc, ever. It is what it is.

If that's the case, I presume these people you refer to are viewing every item they eat, drink, wear, use to clean with, etc ad infinitum with similar distrust.

No, I would imagine there are varying degrees of mistrust. As I pointed out several pages ago, trust is what it usually comes down to. Some trust an apple grown without chemicals sprayed on it to be safer than one grown with chemicals sprayed on it.

I'm sure some do. However, since it's not possible to know whether or not the apple or the chemicals alone or in combination are safe*, that trust would be misplaced. Perhaps the chemicals are safer than the apple. Or the combination of the chemicals and the apple are safer than either alone.

* I am of course presuming we are still talking about chemicals (and apples) without proven harmful impact

I disagree that trust is misplaced because it's impossible to know which is safer. That's exactly when trust comes into play. If we knew, why would trust be an issue at all?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

I disagree that trust is misplaced because it's impossible to know which is safer. That's exactly when trust comes into play. If we knew, why would trust be an issue at all?

and through all this food producers are on the sidelines laughing at which way we're going to choose to pay the same companies...
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

and through all this food producers are on the sidelines laughing at which way we're going to choose to pay the same companies...

Picture1-2.png
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Picture1-2.png

the biggest joke is how all of those products taste

I went all derp-fest organic and non-GMO for a while and it's like choking down *kitten*-flavored cardboard
  • senecarr
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Picture1-2.png

I went all derp-fest organic and non-GMO for a while and it's like choking down *kitten*-flavored cardboard
    It's a pretty good racket if you can charge more for a food you don't even have to make it taste good, nor even improve the macros and micros on.
  • _John_
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Picture1-2.png

It's a pretty good racket if you can charge more for a food you don't even have to make it taste good, nor even improve the macros and micros on.

Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, and every year there's a certain variety that is my favorite. It's usually sold by Driskolls here. It doesn't matter if it's organic or not, it's the variety that makes the difference. I'm not paying 1.50-3.00 more per pound for an organic stamp on the same food.

• FitForL1fe
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Picture1-2.png

it really is quite impressive when you put it that way
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    image3.jpg
  • senecarr
    Options
    1242553871670131882.jpg
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    59bc4cca1a98c6d2fd94b22df0a2c66a_zps4ab32162.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's not the engineering, it's the breeding.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    The chemicals that are used in conventional farming go in to the ground water. How is it filtered out in organic farming irrigation? Pollutants go into the air and are in rain. How is that taken out when it rains on "organic" crops? I live next to an apple orchard. Drift occurs when they are spraying the apples. Is it possible to have any meats, poultry, fruit or vegetables that are truly organic? I am not convinced.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    The chemicals that are used in conventional farming go in to the ground water. How is it filtered out in organic farming irrigation? Pollutants go into the air and are in rain. How is that taken out when it rains on "organic" crops? I live next to an apple orchard. Drift occurs when they are spraying the apples. Is it possible to have any meats, poultry, fruit or vegetables that are truly organic? I am not convinced.

I doubt it is possible to have 100% organic anything in today's world. I took the OP's question to be about commercial non-organic food vs. commercial organic produce.
  • senecarr
    Options
    This kind of commentary tends to show the concept of organic is about some kind of perceived purity than it is about any kind of practical benefit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    This kind of commentary tends to show the concept of organic is about some kind of perceived purity than it is about any kind of practical benefit.

Or the lesser of two evils.
  • _John_
    Options

or a marketing ploy.
  • senecarr
    Options

Religious style moralization of food intensifies.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Let's reword this.

It isn't possible.

Misplaced was not quite the right word - irrational, or arbitrary would have been a better fit. There's no reason to trust one over the other except for a 'feeling'.

Which is fine. People pay more for things based solely on feelings all the time. That's what marketing takes advantage of, after all.