My 1200 kcal experiment

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ailsadell wrote: »
    Thank you to all who replied to my question.... I asked as I read so many conflicting details and the calculation I used through this site has obviously confused me :-/

Would someone mind helping me do it right then please?

I'm 5'4 currently, 134lbs (started 148lbs), female, set at sedentary as I have limited mobility due to having ME/CFS.... I based as sedentary as I have to limit my activities, but I am able to do normal walking around etc and could clean a few rooms in a day, but it is mainly sitting as I work with the occasional walk thrown in say once every 3-4 weeks (totally horrid for me as I was extremely active previously and find this resting thing hard!)

Think that's all the info ... If not give me a shout.

Thanks xx

I have anything below 1450 to 1550 to lose weight. Did you put in 2lbs per week as a goal? If you have a TDEE of 1500 per day, that means you'd need to eat 500 cals a day for 2lbs, 1000 for 1lb.

You're already within a normal weight range, so if you're looking to lose just a few "vanity lbs", you should be set to .5 lbs per week. That would put you in that 1300 to 1400 range.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few manorexic Brits around here. Do they have a different aesthetic for the male body than we do here in the states?

eta: not only do they want to be super skinny, they also seem to want as high a percentage of body fat as possible at the same time. Is skinny-fat the fashion in the UK now?

Last time I was over there, there just wasn't the same kind of fitness culture as there was in the US and Canada at the time. I saw a lot of people hiking, maybe, or playing football/soccer, but otherwise, not so much. There weren't even a ton of gyms, or not on the scale that there is here. Might be different now.

lol lol lol
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    This thread.
    g2sk19tjl3lk.jpg

I approve.

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    115Everest wrote: »
    All I know, OP, is that the word "stupidize" is the greatest gift to my vocabulary since "amazeballs." And for that, I thank you.

I was just thinking that if that isn't a real word, is soooooooooooooooooo should be.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I am going to add to this, I agree with the slower weight loss suggested
    RGv2 wrote: »
    ailsadell wrote: »
    Thank you to all who replied to my question.... I asked as I read so many conflicting details and the calculation I used through this site has obviously confused me :-/

Would someone mind helping me do it right then please?

I'm 5'4 currently, 134lbs (started 148lbs), female, set at sedentary as I have limited mobility due to having ME/CFS.... I based as sedentary as I have to limit my activities, but I am able to do normal walking around etc and could clean a few rooms in a day, but it is mainly sitting as I work with the occasional walk thrown in say once every 3-4 weeks (totally horrid for me as I was extremely active previously and find this resting thing hard!)

Think that's all the info ... If not give me a shout.

Thanks xx

I have anything below 1450 to 1550 to lose weight. Did you put in 2lbs per week as a goal? If you have a TDEE of 1500 per day, that means you'd need to eat 500 cals a day for 2lbs, 1000 for 1lb.

You're already within a normal weight range, so if you're looking to lose just a few "vanity lbs", you should be set to .5 lbs per week. That would put you in that 1300 to 1400 range.

@ailsadell Because you have a 500 cal day and a just over 800 cal day, and less than 200 yesterday, you must realize that going that low to lose the weight is not healthy. I sincerely hope that you just didn't log your lunches, suppers, and/or a buffet meal. You mention having health issues. Perhaps check with your doctor. If your condition causes you to feel weak already, you could very well be making it worse by consuming so few calories. Be kinder to your body, it will respond better.
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    BennyCH wrote: »
    but what's interesting is that MFP proposed about 1340 kcal (desk job - sedentary) for me if I wanted to lose 2 lbs / week...

That sounds about right. I'm at 230lbs and it gives me 1420cal/day to lose 2lb/wk.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Someone doesn't know how to flag.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I think you're underestimating what you're missing for nutrition. Nutrition is more than just taking vitamins. As a male, you can't possibly hitting your macros for fats and proteins on 1200 calories a day. I know because as a petite female who is moderately active, I often am below on protein at 1200 calories (an my goal is around 80 grams). So, how as a 200+ lb. male can you be meeting those macros?

Why does a 200+ male have to be on a VLCD diet to make up for a couple of days of going over calories after a fast day?

I aim for 90g protein and 90g fat each day, I'm fat adapted with a body fat of around 16-19%, my current weight is 95kg i.e. I carry around 17 kg of fat (17x9'000= 153'000kcal),

so I also want to find out what happens being fat adapted with a lot body fat stored and at the same reduce my calorie intake to 1200 kcal / day

Seasoned MFP vets, please correct me if I'm wrong. But given that fat contains 9 calories per gram, and protein 4 calories per gram....

90g of fat = 810 calories.
    90g of protein = 360 calories.
    1,170 calories each day are used up by just these two macros? That doesn't seem very balanced, and isn't leaving you many calories of wiggle room for other macro/micronutrients. How long do you intend to do this? I'm still not jazzed on the 1,200 intake for a male....I'm sure you could still be in ketosis while upping your cals to a healthier level.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I think you're underestimating what you're missing for nutrition. Nutrition is more than just taking vitamins. As a male, you can't possibly hitting your macros for fats and proteins on 1200 calories a day. I know because as a petite female who is moderately active, I often am below on protein at 1200 calories (an my goal is around 80 grams). So, how as a 200+ lb. male can you be meeting those macros?

Why does a 200+ male have to be on a VLCD diet to make up for a couple of days of going over calories after a fast day?

I aim for 90g protein and 90g fat each day, I'm fat adapted with a body fat of around 16-19%, my current weight is 95kg i.e. I carry around 17 kg of fat (17x9'000= 153'000kcal),

so I also want to find out what happens being fat adapted with a lot body fat stored and at the same reduce my calorie intake to 1200 kcal / day

Seasoned MFP vets, please correct me if I'm wrong. But given that fat contains 9 calories per gram, and protein 4 calories per gram....

1,170 calories each day are used up by just these two macros? That doesn't seem very balanced, and isn't leaving you many calories of wiggle room for other macro/micronutrients. How long do you intend to do this? I'm still not jazzed on the 1,200 intake for a male....I'm sure you could still be in ketosis while upping your cals to a healthier level.
    He still hasn't answered if he eats back exercise calories; he may just be netting 1200. Or he's choosing entries that are way off and eating more than 1200. Either way...
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

He still hasn't answered if he eats back exercise calories; he may just be netting 1200. Or he's choosing entries that are way off and eating more than 1200. Either way...

I don't even know how to approach this. Minus reiterating for the millionth time that a goal of 1,200 (regardless of what he's actually consuming if he's not weighing/logging properly) for a guy is not advisable. Would really like to know what he's doing with those exercise cals, though.
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    PopeyeCT wrote: »
    but what's interesting is that MFP proposed about 1340 kcal (desk job - sedentary) for me if I wanted to lose 2 lbs / week...

That sounds about right. I'm at 230lbs and it gives me 1420cal/day to lose 2lb/wk.

so isn't then MFP also - insane/ludicrous/idiotic etc (+ all other things Ive been called) to propose this low caloric intake, I mean, I will be without nutrition, since nutrition is a function of calorie intake...yeah, it's true because somebody stated it here ;-) and then shrivel up and die...
  • BennyCH
    Options

please read my first post, but to summarize: 2 weeks on low carb diet and I have around 16...19% body fat. Your body only need fat and protein, glucose it can create itself (there is no such thing as essential carbohydrates)

and for the xth time (which people does not seems to understand)_
    - this is NOT a long term thing
    - normally I would not go below my BMR in calories

So what I found out so far - one week now (which is not very surprising):
    - I had to cut down on my exercises
    - I'm tired, i.e. slept more (+ 1...2 h per day)
    - Some cravings but manageable
    - Felt in general quite ok, not depraved or anything
    - It's easier during the week when working, weekend will be tough though

Day 1 96.6 kg 1207 kcal
    Day 2 95.9 kg 1241 kcal
    Day 3 95.4 kg 1249 kcal
    Day 4 94.9 kg 1258 kcal
    Day 5 94.6 kg 1379 kcal
    Day 6 95.2 kg 1709 kcal
    Day 7 93.6 kg

=> -3 kg in one week (some fat/water and LBM)

On day 5 my wife bought me a snack (kebab), which prob reflected the day 6 weight increase

and as you see I failed the experiment on day 6 when I ate 500 kcal above my target, to peoples distress I will continue though ;-)

• BennyCH
    Options

I don't even know how to approach this. Minus reiterating for the millionth time that a goal of 1,200 (regardless of what he's actually consuming if he's not weighing/logging properly) for a guy is not advisable. Would really like to know what he's doing with those exercise cals, though.

normally I eat back my exercise calories (I explained it in an earlier post), during these 2 weeks I do not eat back

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    What vaguely interests me in this thread is that you seem to believe that people are concerned about you...you have clearly made a decision to do something and that's fine ..no skin off my nose

Most people post to ensure that noobs and lurkers realise that your "experiment" is pointless and ill thought-out and has no results of interest to anybody but you ...

Will it do long term harm? No
    Is it worthwhile? No
    Does it progress anybody's understanding of weight loss, health, nutrition beyond what we already know? No

Does it give you a reason to continue to post your odd little updates? Yes

Great, keep it up ...it is mildly interesting watching someone else try to be ...I'm not sure what you're aiming for tbh ...noteworthiness?
  • BennyCH
    edited June 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What vaguely interests me in this thread is that you seem to believe that people are concerned about you...you have clearly made a decision to do something and that's fine ..no skin off my nose

Most people post to ensure that noobs and lurkers realise that your "experiment" is pointless and ill thought-out and has no results of interest to anybody but you ...

Will it do long term harm? No
    Is it worthwhile? No
    Does it progress anybody's understanding of weight loss, health, nutrition beyond what we already know? No

Does it give you a reason to continue to post your odd little updates? Yes

Great, keep it up ...it is mildly interesting watching someone else try to be ...I'm not sure what you're aiming for tbh ...noteworthiness?

welcome to the internet :-)

people have a choice to read, to comment, and not to...;-)

maybe I expected a little more "scientific" discussions, but so far mostly empty statements which are supposed to be based on "conventional wisdom" and "common sense", sorry that might convince some people but not me...

E.g. I even mentioned that MFP recommends me to eat 1340kcal/day to lose 1kg/week, nobody even questioned that...does that mean that MFP is completely false? You wrote that I will not get enough nutrition on 1200kcal (which you based on what...nothing?), i.e. I will not magically get it either on 1340kcal - what's your stand on that?

No I really do not think that people care about me, so you can stop to be "vaguely interested"...
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options

please read my first post, but to summarize: 2 weeks on low carb diet and I have around 16...19% body fat. Your body only need fat and protein, glucose it can create itself (there is no such thing as essential carbohydrates)

and for the xth time (which people does not seems to understand)_
    - this is NOT a long term thing
    - normally I would not go below my BMR in calories

So what I found out so far - one week now (which is not very surprising):
    - I had to cut down on my exercises
    - I'm tired, i.e. slept more (+ 1...2 h per day)
    - Some cravings but manageable
    - Felt in general quite ok, not depraved or anything
    - It's easier during the week when working, weekend will be tough though

Day 1 96.6 kg 1207 kcal
    Day 2 95.9 kg 1241 kcal
    Day 3 95.4 kg 1249 kcal
    Day 4 94.9 kg 1258 kcal
    Day 5 94.6 kg 1379 kcal
    Day 6 95.2 kg 1709 kcal
    Day 7 93.6 kg

=> -3 kg in one week (some fat/water and LBM)

On day 5 my wife bought me a snack (kebab), which prob reflected the day 6 weight increase

and as you see I failed the experiment on day 6 when I ate 500 kcal above my target, to peoples distress I will continue though ;-)

This is one of those instances where correct spelling is important... ;)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That is crazy for someone of your weight! Very low cals and a lot of exercise...wth???
    If you look at all the users who agreed or supported OP, they are most likely unfit and or overweight. Anomaly.

Thanks, sweetie. You know that I had the stats of a swimsuit/figure fitness model for years, hmmm? I also used to have the time to work out 15 hours a week.

The reasons not to do it are mostly about building long-term habits and not dipping below certain minimums--which is why I said that you need to hit those minimums.

In general, people here are VERY suspicious of fast weight loss, even though both pre-bariatric surgery and post-bariatric surgeries are quite restrictive. I suspect that a lot of people are reformed yo-yo dieters? I don't know. The reasons aren't medical, that's for sure.

Anyway, I usually gain weight when I get pregnant and lose it very fast when I give birth, and the faster I lose it, the easier maintenance is for me. So that's why I have zero problems with rapid weight loss as long as it's done sensibly.

OP is admitting it's a short-term crash diet, which is not going to get much support from anyone here (me included) because as soon as you stop crash dieting, you'll regain it again.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    Pretty close to fasting it is 50% of your daily requirements to maintain, yikes.
    If you are doing Keto, why are you also throwing in IF? Neither of which is required for weight/fat loss.

with only your 40ish lbs to lose your goal should have been to lose 1 lb/week, and down to 0.5 for the last 10 or so.

That said, since you are only looking at such a large deficit over two weeks, the worst that will happen is a large % of the 2-5 lbs will come from lean muscle, not just fat. If you are okay with that, have at it.

IF comes more or less natural to me since I cannot eat breakfast...

After more than 15 years of testing different diet lifestyles, keto/low carb is the only that works for me, my willpower is simple not strong enough to eat in moderation on a carb-based diet, i.e. it always end up in a glorious binge...

See, THIS is what's troubling to me. You WILL need to figure out a way to eat some carbs if you love them. Long-term deprivation will never work!
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I've seen quite a few manorexic Brits around here. Do they have a different aesthetic for the male body than we do here in the states?

eta: not only do they want to be super skinny, they also seem to want as high a percentage of body fat as possible at the same time. Is skinny-fat the fashion in the UK now?

Last time I was over there, there just wasn't the same kind of fitness culture as there was in the US and Canada at the time. I saw a lot of people hiking, maybe, or playing football/soccer, but otherwise, not so much. There weren't even a ton of gyms, or not on the scale that there is here. Might be different now.

lol lol lol

This was absolutely true a few years ago, tell I'm wrong