Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    JarethG wrote: »
    BennyCH wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    This is insane. Weight naturally fluctuates. Eat at a moderate calorie deficit and your weight loss will happen.

Also, I don't blame you for overdoing it after a medically necessary fast.

Yes I know right :D - but it's an experiment, and I really want to say that I lost 44 lbs in 6 months + I'm going to US in July for 4 weeks, so...
    Oh so it's an experiment?
    Science!

Ok, then, since it's a well designed experiment, what precisely is your hypothesis? What is your testing methodology? What is your control? What are your key tracked metrics, and what method of analysis do you intend to utilize when the experimental period is over?

If you're missing any of that, it's not an experiment.

What about the "experimenting" I did in college?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yezza wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »

sorry but I didn't flag you...and I don't want anything from anyone, just writing about my experiment...but a lot of people seems to get outraged of an experiment that I am doing on myself, that I find a little...weird?

I'm going to do an experiment on myself; I'm going to start snorting a couple of grams of cocaine every day because losing weight is more important to me than my health, my job or my family. What does everyone think?

<2 pages later>

GAWD you guys are so uptight, can't a girl do a bunch of harmful *kitten* to herself and tell the world about it without having to have anyone mention that it's a bad idea? JEEEZ!!

He didn't ask for anybodies opinions, not many people have responded objectively. If losing visceral fat (an unhealthy thing to have) via a less-than-ideal method is on par with snorting cocaine (an anti-social, illegal, destructive habit) then either you're here for some cheap laughs or you're fairly ignorant. Either way you're not posting anything constructive. Why not post some facts as to why it may not be the healthiest method or how about this, don't post at all? This community is astounding.

If you want to be all technical like about it, a starvation diet meets all those criteria too:
    1. Eating is a highly social activity. Not eating, is therefore a somewhat anti-social activity.
    2. Most regions have laws against suicide. Therefore, starving oneself is illegal in a sense too, just no one bothers to enforce the law.
    3. See above in regards to destructive.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    1,200 is not advisable for men. I hope you're doing this experiment under medical supervision.
  • Yezza
    Yezza Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Knight down... MEDIC!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    That is crazy for someone of your weight! Very low cals and a lot of exercise...wth???
    If you look at all the users who agreed or supported OP, they are most likely unfit and or overweight. Anomaly.

I dunno about that.

When I am in my groove with everything I find my body is more efficient in processing and using calories, and overall I need less. 1200 would be extreme, but I have a lot of days I am less than that. More often than not I can settle around 1500, give or take.

As long as people understand that is NOT the norm for weight loss, I don't care what each person does.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Science wars

Gotta love MFP

:bigsmile:
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    So much ignorance, so little time to address you all!

Probably defining antisocial is imperative in this instance; contrary to the laws and customs of society, in a way that causes annoyance and disapproval in others.
    Based on the comments in this thread, OP's experiment fits your own definition of anti-social. Congratulations.
  • Yezza
    Yezza Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Based on the comments in this thread, OP's experiment fits your own definition of anti-social. Congratulations.

Well I wasn't speaking of society in the sense that I meant a handful of posters on a specific thread, but, sure - why not! And though I would like to take credit for the definition, I stole it from the dictionary :(
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Well I wasn't speaking of society in the sense that I meant a handful of posters on a specific thread, but, sure - why not! And though I would like to take credit for the definition, I stole it from the dictionary :(

lolwut
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    just a minor update,

today I was a little sluggish during my fasted morning stroll, and during rest of the day I felt a little "flat", so therefore I skipped the weight training...

Gee, I wonder why that might be? Nothing to do with the fact that you're eating so little, I'm sure...
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    That is crazy for someone of your weight! Very low cals and a lot of exercise...wth???
    If you look at all the users who agreed or supported OP, they are most likely unfit and or overweight. Anomaly.

Were there really that many people agreeing/supporting him? I saw a lot of people steering him away or posting jokes.

I personally think OP has lost his marbles.

Edit: after going back through the thread, I found literally one person supporting his idea. Well, sort of. They were pointing out how you can get 80 g of protein on a 1200 calorie diet.

How many of us eat 12 ounces of chicken and then just vegetables for the rest of the day?
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

Were there really that many people agreeing/supporting him? I saw a lot of people steering him away or posting jokes.

Edit: after going back through the thread, I found literally one person supporting his idea. Well, sort of. They were pointing out how you can get 80 g of protein on a 1200 calorie diet.

How many of us eat 12 ounces of chicken and then just vegetables for the rest of the day?

That sounds like a good day for me, as long as I get to cook the chicken. And wash it down with corn liquor.

OP, I have lost over 44 pounds in your time frame and did not do any of the carb/keto/math that you mention. I am not an expert but this stuff is not rocket surgery.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »
    rosebette wrote: »

That sounds like a good day for me, as long as I get to cook the chicken. And wash it down with corn liquor.

OP, I have lost over 44 pounds in your time frame and did not do any of the carb/keto/math that you mention. I am not an expert but this stuff is not rocket surgery.

haha strong post, well said

eat less food, lose weight, right?

props man
  • BennyCH
    BennyCH Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    just a minor update,

today I was a little sluggish during my fasted morning stroll, and during rest of the day I felt a little "flat", so therefore I skipped the weight training...

Gee, I wonder why that might be? Nothing to do with the fact that you're eating so little, I'm sure...

hence "experiment" ;-)
  • BennyCH
    Options
    115Everest wrote: »
    All I know, OP, is that the word "stupidize" is the greatest gift to my vocabulary since "amazeballs." And for that, I thank you.

your welcome :)
  • BennyCH
    Options
    nuffer wrote: »

good job! :)

• BennyCH
    Options

What about the "experimenting" I did in college?

do tell us ;-)
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread...but I'm at work and bored so, hey I'll take it. I don't understand why people are so worked up on this forums in regards to lower calorie food habbits (i hesitate to use the word "diet"). Call me cynical, but I doubt its because they care for you (random forum poster), and would like to steer you away from what they consider unhealthy. Instead I bet it's more about the personal satisfaction/righteousness they feel in correcting someone's presumed poor judgment (similar to when someone corrects poor grammar that really wasn't hurting anyone).

IMO, you should maybe speak to a nutritionist, see how they feel about your experiment. If they're cool with it, try it for a while. Maybe keep a journal on your feelings as you go, energy levels, ease of staying with your plan, and tell us all how it went?
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread...but I'm at work and bored so, hey I'll take it. I don't understand why people are so worked up on this forums in regards to lower calorie food habbits (i hesitate to use the word "diet"). Call me cynical, but I doubt its because they care for you (random forum poster), and would like to steer you away from what they consider unhealthy. Instead I bet it's more about the personal satisfaction/righteousness they feel in correcting someone's presumed poor judgment (similar to when someone corrects poor grammar that really wasn't hurting anyone).

IMO, you should maybe speak to a nutritionist, see how they feel about your experiment. If they're cool with it, try it for a while. Maybe keep a journal on your feelings as you go, energy levels, ease of staying with your plan, and tell us all how it went?

A lot of people use this forum, many of them not sure of what they're doing and likely to try the first thing they come across. 1200 kcals without medical supervision can be dangerous for a male. People correct threads like this so other people don't get the idea that this is a sound method for losing weight and know there are healthier ways, less punishing ways, to do it.

As for the grammar thing - if nobody tells you you're doing it wrong, how will you ever learn? Personally I don't correct spelling/grammar on here as it's against the TOS. I have developed the habit of working the misspelt word into my own post so people can choose to get it right next time or not... :)