Name one misconception you had which posting on MFP has cleared up.

Options

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    You have to exercise to lose weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That there were "good" foods and "bad" foods.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    That cardio is required for weight loss.
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That I don't have to starve myself to look the way that I want (actually, starving myself would never help me reach my goal!!). Lifting heavy and eating right is what works best for me. Never could of figured that out on my own. Even after hours and hours of research, I still come back to MFP for clarification.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode was real as in sometimes you need to eat more to lose weight. Actually CICO will produce weight loss.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    That if you eat a lower calorie rate for a while your metabolism will slow and you will stop losing weight; therefore you have to have cheat meals/days to keep your metabolism going. Aka "starvation mode."
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I learned that I did not have to eat only certain foods (salads) and I did not have to give up the foods I enjoy. (ribeye). Snacks (sweets) are still ok.
    Moderation was a Huge help for me.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I thought their were intelligent, rational people in the world.

MFP has completely cured me of this misconception
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    That muscle cannot be gained in a calorie deficit (except under some very specific and limited conditions, and even then, the gains are small).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I learned that I am a special snowflake because I do have to pay attention to sugar, despite not having PCOS or diabetes.

However, I also learned that I can consistently lose weight despite always going over my fat grams.
  • Jiveli85
    Jiveli85 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I thought carbs in general was to blame for weight gain.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I learned that you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

QFT.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I learned that you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink.

Especially if you put lemon in it.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I learned that I am a special snowflake because I do have to pay attention to sugar, despite not having PCOS or diabetes.

However, I also learned that I can consistently lose weight despite always going over my fat grams.

Really? You didn't pay attention to your sugar at all before you came here, and something you saw on the forums showed you differently and you discovered you were suddenly a "special snowflake"?

That has to be what you mean, otherwise you'd be derailing. I'd love to know what thread you learned this from.

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    That I could eat 2000 calories a day and not be clinically obese without more exercise.

A LOT more exercise.

Apparently, I redefined sedentary.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sugar kills your father and rapes your mother. Sugar does, in fact, do neither. Also, dogs do not lay eggs.

okay this made me laugh!
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Meal timing. I grew up eating sensibly, but had never, ever wanted to eat "the most important meal of the day." I'm just not hungry in the morning. Dieting was always so HARD when I had to eat a zillion small meals a day and still come in at 1500 or whatever calories per day.

Now I do one DELIGHTFULLY complete meal a day with ALL THE THINGS including DESSERT, and still lose weight. I can EASILY comply, FOREVER, WITH GLEE, and not feel confused, resentful, deprived or hungry. *Throws confetti.*