Name one misconception you had which posting on MFP has cleared up.

Options

Replies

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    That muscle cannot be gained in a calorie deficit (except under some very specific and limited conditions, and even then, the gains are small).
    This too!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I learned that I am a special snowflake because I do have to pay attention to sugar, despite not having PCOS or diabetes.

However, I also learned that I can consistently lose weight despite always going over my fat grams.

And does this relate to any misconceptions you may have once had?

The fat misconception was that I couldn't lose weight while eating proportionally high fat.

Will have to come back to the sugar thing later. Have a great night!

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    That I had to eat a lot of salad to lose weight.

I really used to think that getting the salads at restaurants was the best option. I am losing weight just fine and I rarely ever eat salad unless I just want it.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    That just about everything on Pinterest about weight loss and nutrition is probably wrong.

Weight loss costs little to nothing. No expensive shakes or meal replacement plans. Just eating at a calorie deficit.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I learned "mean" people give the best information, words that one can actually live by and succeed with.

Before that I 'believed' that 1200 cal was all I could ever eat, strength training was not that important (boy was I wrong there), weight loss is linear and evenly predictable over the weeks ie. MFP's weight prediction should be true damn it.

What can I say I was a dumb bum.....now not so much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I thought this was a site for adults where healthy debate, frank opinion and actual science was valued

MFP sure cleared that misconception up
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I thought this was a site for adults where healthy debate, frank opinion and actual science was valued

Yep, this too.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I learned "mean" people give the best information, words that one can actually live by and succeed with.

Before that I 'believed' that 1200 cal was all I could ever eat, strength training was not that important (boy was I wrong there), weight loss is linear and evenly predictable over the weeks ie. MFP's weight prediction should be true damn it.

We care more about helping you than your feelings. Sorry....not Sorry......

• jmule24
    Options

Yuppppp.......took the words right out of my.....

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »

This poster was actually agreeing with this, not complaining.

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    That I had to eat next to nothing consisting of "rabbit food" (AKA salads) to lose weight and that the foods I love were "bad" for me.

As it turns out, there's no bad foods. Food is just food. Food has calories. Calories are a unit of energy. The human body needs calories to exist.
    That a food scale would't help me lose weight.

Turns out it's the best health-related purchase I've ever made. $14 well spent.

That I could only eat 1200 calories if I wanted to lose weight . Turns out I can eat about 1500 and if I move more I can eat more!!

same here

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    ... I know someone already mentioned it- buuuut... I eye balled a lot and thought I didn't need a food scale. I was so wrong...very very wrong. My food scale has become my best friend.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options

There are still people here who value science. Honestly, far more than I would have anticipated from a public Internet forum. By and large, the people I have met on MFP understand and value science and logic far more than most of the people with whom I interact on a daily basis.
  • jmule24
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »

This poster was actually agreeing with this, not complaining.

Yes, correct.

Adding why we do what we do.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    That I had to eat next to nothing consisting of "rabbit food" (AKA salads) to lose weight and that the foods I love were "bad" for me.

As it turns out, there's no bad foods. Food is just food. Food has calories. Calories are a unit of energy. The human body needs calories to exist.
    That a food scale would't help me lose weight.

Turns out it's the best health-related purchase I've ever made. $14 well spent.

That I could only eat 1200 calories if I wanted to lose weight . Turns out I can eat about 1500 and if I move more I can eat more!!

same here

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    You must eat a certain proportion of macros in order to boost metabolism into weight loss mode....No maintaining a consistent calorie deficit is most important, balancing macros is to meet nutritional needs and satiety.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

There are still people here who value science. Honestly, far more than I would have anticipated from a public Internet forum. By and large, the people I have met on MFP understand and value science and logic far more than most of the people with whom I interact on a daily basis.

I learned that good people will tire of posting science and logic repeatedly because the threads they could've just linked to instead have been deleted for reasons that had absolutely nothing to do with the solid science and logic that was shared there.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    That we're all here for the same reason.

No. The reasons are numerous.