Full fat or low fat Greek yogurt

Replies

• hippytee
    hippytee Posts: 249 Member
    Thanks yeah my macros are the same, I've tried the low fat one don't like it and has far less protein than the full fat ones , so I'm now having less full fat just 2 tablespoons with plenty of fresh fruit now. And having it less thru the week, before diet I'd be eating a quarter of a tubfull , no wonder I've piled on 2 stone in 6 months,, just goes to prove ,,, YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT.

I try to keep away from fatty foods I have them but in good fats in fish and nuts and extra virgin olive oil .Not things like chips package cc meals that have trans fats in them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2015
    hippytee wrote: »
    I've tried the low fat one don't like it and has far less protein than the full fat ones

This should not be the case if you are comparing like to like. Skimming out the fat should not affect the amount of protein (other than to slightly increase the amount in a particular volume or within a particular calorie range). For example:

8 oz Fage plain, full fat: 220 cal, 11 g fat, 9 g sugar, 20 g protein.
    8 oz Fage plain, non fat: 130 cal, 0 g fat, 9 g sugar, 23 g protein.

I don't think there's any reason to avoid fat (within reasonable levels and considering the type of fat), so like I said before, I don't think you need to justify eating full fat if you prefer it (it's a great choice), but different things are going to work for different people.

I lost lots of weight eating well more than a couple of tablespoons of greek yogurt nearly daily, but I kept track of overall calories. If you were eating so much you were gaining weight that's a matter of calories too.
  • hippytee
    The one I got today is
    5.3 g per 1/4 of a 500 g pot & 11g fat 8.8g sugar

I just like it better than the low fat one. Just have less of it now instead , no point eating what you don't like the taste of. I heard that eating Greek yogurt helps in weight loss , in moderation of course, like anything else eaten!

I keep away from trans fats unless it's in dressings lol don't like reduced calorie ones. Limit those too.

Losing weight I'm not too worried about as I can do it easily ,, it's eating right for the amount of weight training/ strength training, bodypump and cardio I do each week. As losing too much and too fast has bad results , losing muscle, fat and too much water from the body, and having loose skin.
    I got very ill yrs ago and ballooned to 16 St from 9.5 stone , lost nearly half my weight in 3 years but had loose skin , was exercising I did get toned with very hard work strength training ,,only have 2 stone to loose want the toneness and curves , I'd be happy at 10 stone if I looked toned like I did over 6 months ago.
    Thanks for yr info ,,
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I go with fat free yogurt because I get my fat macro from things like eggs and full fat cheese (and butter on my veggies!)and I need to cut somewhere.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Get the full fat one - your taste buds will thank you.

But as mentioned above, it won't matter for weight loss. Only being in an overall calorie deficit will achieve that - whatever you choose to eat.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Eat things that taste good, stay within your macros.
  • hippytee
    lulucitron wrote: »
    I do 0% mainly because I want to get my fat from yummy things like peanut butter, avocados etc. I keep my fat below 30% of my nutritionals. My rule of thumb is carbs 45%, protein 30 and fat 25 give or take a gram here and there.

Thanks yeah my macros are set at that too, Women have far more body fat than guys anyway plus with the big 50 slowly approaching, plus our. Bodies gain 15% per decade . The joys of approaching years lol, I just have to work extra hard to get great results.
  • hippytee
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I go with fat free yogurt because I get my fat macro from things like eggs and full fat cheese (and butter on my veggies!)and I need to cut somewhere.

• hippytee
    You can still have those hun just limit , cut the amount you have,, our bodies need fats , just good ones and not too much of them, I try to keep the "bad fats" quote. Ones found bad carbs ie in ready meals , cakes , biscuits, yummy but not good for yr waistline or health in yrs to come .
  • hippytee
    emtjmac wrote: »

Yeahhh I'm All up for that, what the point of eating stuff you hate, I'd yr loosing weight that s not gonna help at all, and end up relapsing on yr diet ,
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    You can still have those hun just limit , cut the amount you have,, our bodies need fats , just good ones and not too much of them, I try to keep the "bad fats" quote. Ones found bad carbs ie in ready meals , cakes , biscuits, yummy but not good for yr waistline or health in yrs to come .

earlnabby has been at this awhile, I think she has a fair grasp on her macros and dietary needs seeing that she's lost over 100 pounds.

Also the things you listed are not "bad carbs", and I fail to see how they will impact your waistline and your health if you work them into your calories and hit your macros. Unnecessary demonizing of carbs gets old quick.

As for the yogurt, I found a single full fat Greek yogurt I like but the cost for one 32oz tub is comparable to the price of 64oz of fat free Greek yogurt at Costco. I eat enough of it (340g at a time) that I can't validate getting the full fat on the regular. I just have things like butter, cheese, and peanut butter to fill in my fat macros.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    I had the full fat, and loved it so much I wanted to lick the container out. Then, I realized a full quarter of my calories were gone for the day.

I am fine with low fat and more calories for other food.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

Hun, what part of "If It Fits Your Macros" don't you understand? I like fat free yogurt. I do not like low fat cheeses. I like my eggs whole, not just the whites. You take a little here and add a little there to end up close to your macro target each day.

• hippytee

earlnabby has been at this awhile, I think she has a fair grasp on her macros and dietary needs seeing that she's lost over 100 pounds.

Also the things you listed are not "bad carbs", and I fail to see how they will impact your waistline and your health if you work them into your calories and hit your macros. Unnecessary demonizing of carbs gets old quick.

As for the yogurt, I found a single full fat Greek yogurt I like but the cost for one 32oz tub is comparable to the price of 64oz of fat free Greek yogurt at Costco. I eat enough of it (340g at a time) that I can't validate getting the full fat on the regular. I just have things like butter, cheese, and peanut butter to fill in my fat macros.

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    emtjmac wrote: »

Exactly!

• hippytee
    Thanks for yr info ,, no need to get shirty though ,,, I don't know her personally , this app is for people to encourage and motivate that's all I was doing. Wasn't being anything else , I've been 16 stone once lost over half of that ,so I guess I've been at it a while too.
  • hippytee

• hippytee
    Thanks for yr info ,, no need to get shirty though ,,, I don't know her personally , this app is for people to encourage and motivate that's all I was doing. Wasn't being anything else , I've been 16 stone once lost over half of that ,so I guess I've been at it a while too.
  • hippytee
    earlnabby wrote: »

Hun, what part of "If It Fits Your Macros" don't you understand? I like fat free yogurt. I do not like low fat cheeses. I like my eggs whole, not just the whites. You take a little here and add a little there to end up close to your macro target each day.

• hippytee
    Hi hun I understand them fine, I do a lot of strength weight training so I have to eat more protein than someone that doesn't and good carbs and good fats to define and build lean muscle mass. So I can get well toned .
This discussion has been closed.