Things people do at the gym, that you hate.

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    2 things I hate..

When someone is using the weight machines that you want to use but they stop between sets and sit on their cell phone. Like, you don't actually mean to take a 2 minute break do you?? UGH!

& When a guy purposely walks by you while you are using the machines to use the water fountain when there are many other routes CLOSER he could have taken. & he does this repeatedly, after each lift- about 10 times in 20 minutes. Haha.

I generally rest 5 minutes if it's above 80% of my 1rm

Yet another reason why I lift by myself. I admit, I can take a while if the weight is heavier and I've exerted quite a bit of energy.

My gym is also equipped with 7 Squat Racks, 9 Benches, and 4 Deadlift platforms. Separate rooms for shoulders, back, legs, and arms. Entire room of dumbbells and fixed weights too. So generally, there isn't much of a problem waiting... even at peak hours.

Is your gym a franchise?
  • Ritzaburk
    Ritzaburk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    56nrvvn93ty4.jpg
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    • People who watch tv or talk on the phone instead of lift.
    • People that try to give me pointers/advice when I didn't ask.
    • People who ask for help, but then debate with you or don't follow your advice.
    • People who bring food and actual milky shakes with them.
    • People who curl in the squat rack.
    • People with obviously atrocious form.
    • People who sing or hum with their headphones on.
    • The Bench Press Entourage.
    • The Walking Lunge Club.
    • Most of the employees.
    • Crossfitters.
    • Hairy, flabby, old men who spend an unnecessarily long time in the locker room naked.
    • The 10 Minute Between Set Resters.
    • The guys that stack the bench, squat, or leg press, but perform a 1/4 of a rep and one set.
    • Some grunting and expresssion is okay, but within reason. Don't have a seizure or sound like you're having sex.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    2 things I hate..

When someone is using the weight machines that you want to use but they stop between sets and sit on their cell phone. Like, you don't actually mean to take a 2 minute break do you?? UGH!

& When a guy purposely walks by you while you are using the machines to use the water fountain when there are many other routes CLOSER he could have taken. & he does this repeatedly, after each lift- about 10 times in 20 minutes. Haha.

Yet another reason why I lift by myself. I admit, I can take a while if the weight is heavier and I've exerted quite a bit of energy.

My gym is also equipped with 7 Squat Racks, 9 Benches, and 4 Deadlift platforms. Separate rooms for shoulders, back, legs, and arms. Entire room of dumbbells and fixed weights too. So generally, there isn't much of a problem waiting... even at peak hours.

Is your gym a franchise?

Nope

• branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    2 things I hate..

I am super jealous of your gym.

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    When people stare you down for only doing a quick walking pace on the treadmill... Even if I'm on max incline, with a previous ankle injury. And I mean, the STARE DOWN OF DOOM. And there are plenty others free.

I just stare right back at them. They almost alwayse blink first and go away. STAND YOUR GROUND AND BE PROUD OF it (or should i say walk your ground)
  • for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    When they stand there and watch you! :confounded:

A lady was touring the gym yesterday and she had her little boy with her. Little man stood there and watched me on the treadmill for a good five straight minutes. It was actually starting to creep me out. He didn't even blink. lol

He could have had autism, or a mental handicap or he could have just been interested in the treadmill because he had never seen one before? Seriously the judginess in this thread is ridiculous. And YES I just said judginess and no I don't care if it isn't a word or if it is or isn't spelled correctly just in case someone wants to go there.

Sounds like someone missed her nap.

Nope, just don't really care for people judging others when they have no clue what these other people go through or what their circumstances are. If I saw a young boy staring at me on a treadmill for 5 minutes straight (because I have small children and I know that they don't have the best attention spans) I would ABSOLUTELY NOT think this child was creepy but thats just me I suppose. And taking a nap has nothing to do with being a decent person. SMDH!

here's an idea. If the thread hurts your sensitivities so much, why do you even bother hanging out here. There's a lot of things in this world that offend me and you know how I handle them? I don't go near them. Then again, that's just me. Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. SMDH!!!!!

You mean like the little creepy boy? So calling an innocent child creepy on a public forum = not going near them. Got it. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

Aw, get over yourself. I didn't not say "creepy" little boy. I said that I was creeped out a bit and he did seem to have a nice mom and family. I'm am very underwhelmed by your phony outrage Ms. Branflakes.

And I am underwhelmed by your ability as a grown adult to take ownership of the things that you say. And also, I have zero desire to get over myself, I quite like being me, but thank you again for your concern.

But I did not say "creepy child" and will not own up to it. You know, something tells me that you have a long laundry list of things that you like getting pi@@ed off at. You might want to check this one off the list and move on to something else. I'm pretty much done here. You have a nice day!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

A lady was touring the gym yesterday and she had her little boy with her. Little man stood there and watched me on the treadmill for a good five straight minutes. It was actually starting to creep me out. He didn't even blink. lol

He could have had autism, or a mental handicap or he could have just been interested in the treadmill because he had never seen one before? Seriously the judginess in this thread is ridiculous. And YES I just said judginess and no I don't care if it isn't a word or if it is or isn't spelled correctly just in case someone wants to go there.

Nope, just don't really care for people judging others when they have no clue what these other people go through or what their circumstances are. If I saw a young boy staring at me on a treadmill for 5 minutes straight (because I have small children and I know that they don't have the best attention spans) I would ABSOLUTELY NOT think this child was creepy but thats just me I suppose. And taking a nap has nothing to do with being a decent person. SMDH!

here's an idea. If the thread hurts your sensitivities so much, why do you even bother hanging out here. There's a lot of things in this world that offend me and you know how I handle them? I don't go near them. Then again, that's just me. Maybe I'm the one who's got it wrong. SMDH!!!!!

You mean like the little creepy boy? So calling an innocent child creepy on a public forum = not going near them. Got it. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me.

Aw, get over yourself. I didn't not say "creepy" little boy. I said that I was creeped out a bit and he did seem to have a nice mom and family. I'm am very underwhelmed by your phony outrage Ms. Branflakes.

And I am underwhelmed by your ability as a grown adult to take ownership of the things that you say. And also, I have zero desire to get over myself, I quite like being me, but thank you again for your concern.

But I did not say "creepy child" and will not own up to it. You know, something tells me that you have a long laundry list of things that you like getting pi@@ed off at. You might want to check this one off the list and move on to something else. I'm pretty much done here. You have a nice day!

No comment on the irony of your post from before?
  • branflakes1980
    Options

Ah the internet, and lack of tone when typing. My dear, I am not pi@@ed off at all, and it takes alot to actually pi@@ me off (did I mention I have small children) with that comes the patience of a Champion! LOL! Offended would be a much better word. No sweat off my back at all. You have yourself a wonderful day, and I really hope you don't run into any curious children in your endeavors. :wink:

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

To be "creeped out" by something usually infers that what is "creeping you out" is "creepy"...........

I'm not on anybody's side, just pointing that out.
  • for_ever_young66
    edited June 2015
    Options

Ah the internet, and lack of tone when typing. My dear, I am not pi@@ed off at all, and it takes alot to actually pi@@ me off (did I mention I have small children) with that comes the patience of a Champion! LOL! Offended would be a much better word. No sweat off my back at all. You have yourself a wonderful day, and I really hope you don't run into any curious children in your endeavors. :wink:

I happen to be the uncle of 7 nieces and nephews and I helped raise a few of them and I'm God Father to 2 of them, including a niece who is 3 weeks old. So there's no fear of children here.
  • branflakes1980
    Options

I happen to be the uncle of 7 nieces and nephews and I helped raise a few of them and I'm God Father to 2 of them, including a niece who is 3 weeks old. So there's no fear of children here.

And I happen to be the aunt of a mentally handicapped niece that would be the one staring at the treadmill for probably a lot longer than 5 minutes creeping you out. And I also did not say anywhere that you were afraid of children, you in fact were the one who said fear. I just said I hope you don't run into any. Cheerio!

• for_ever_young66
    edited June 2015
    Options

And I happen to be the aunt of a mentally handicapped niece that would be the one staring at the treadmill for probably a lot longer than 5 minutes creeping you out. And I also did not say anywhere that you were afraid of children, you in fact were the one who said fear. I just said I hope you don't run into any. Cheerio!

So based on this whole little exchange, you've come to this conclusion that I have a hatred of special needs children. Good God woman, you're something else! By the way, if you ever take any exams like the LSAT, the GRE or the GMAT, there's a segment of the exam called "Critical Reasoning" that tests your ability to arrive at a conclusion based on the premise/evidence presented to you. You would fail that section miserably!!!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Considering the heavy weights and what not, is it even safe to bring kids into a gym? Especially ones that might not have the best ability to determine whether something's dangerous? That's the first thing that gets my attention.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

So based on this whole little exchange, you've come to this conclusion that I have a hatred of special needs children. Good God woman, you're something else! By the way, if you ever take any exams like the LSAT, the GRE or the GMAT, there's a segment of the exam called "Critical Reasoning" that tests your ability to arrive at a conclusion based on the premise/evidence presented to you. You would fail that section miserably!!!!

Irony
  • racheln2017
    racheln2017 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe off machines infuriate me. My gym is really tiny, and there's about 5 different towel and spray bottles scattered all over. It's so easy to wipe down machines yet some people just don't bother! Also, those people who find it necessary to grunt extremely loudly during every. single. rep. We get it.
    Also, in a tiny gym, when there are 5 treadmills and 2 bikes, do not hog one machine if you aren't using it. My gym is commonly used by much older people (like late 70s, but I don't mind, go them for trying to stay fit!) But every time I go this same couple is there, and the husband is using the bike, but the wife is sitting right next to him on the other bike... not doing anything. Just reading. Then she will eventually move when he moves to weight machines, and she will sit on a machine... and keep reading. Doesn't do anything. And if I'm on the bike when they get there, they stand BEHIND me tapping their feet until I move. And when I get off, she just glares at me like I was trespassing on her property. It's so infuriating. I use the bike as a warm up before going on the treadmill, and I want to finish my 20 minutes peacefully. ugh.
  • projectcosplay
    projectcosplay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    not that it's the most obnoxious thing, but I think some of my apartment mates find it annoying in our apartment gym that this one guy ALWAYS is watching Teen Titans in the gym really loud. No hate on the Titans from me, but it's pretty funny.
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    So, now that the mentally handicapped have been thrown out there in this thread, I guess we can all sit back and just wait for a reference to Nazis or Hitler before we call it a wrap.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I hate it when they wear perfume. Good sweat is nice. Smelly perfume is an obnoxious intrusion.