For those of you that Drink Diet Soda Everyday..............

Options

Replies

• Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Making claims like these need to be substaniated with credible links. I wouldn't know who Dr. Douglass is from Dr. Pepper.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    You know? I really want a soba right now.
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Generally I believe:
    Food is to be enjoyed
    Healthy food is better for you
    The human body is an amazing machine!!

I agree!! :)
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    there's something to be said about drinking 12 ounces of liquid that provide 0 caloric benefit to your body, that alone should be a red flag.

look out, there are no calories in water!!!

yea I saw that coming... be reasonable we both know water is exempt of the point.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    there's something to be said about drinking 12 ounces of liquid that provide 0 caloric benefit to your body, that alone should be a red flag.

look out, there are no calories in water!!!

yea I saw that coming... be reasonable we both know water is exempt of the point.

I heard that living causes death. Better not do that either.... >.>
  • AmesLee78
    AmesLee78 Posts: 111
    Options
    I switched to diet in 2005 (I think.) A few months ago I switched back to regular after reading some things about it. I figured I only drink ONE can a day that a regular soda couldn't be too bad. The other thing is, after I switched back my headaches got so much better! Instead of having 3-4 a week I have maybe 2-3 a month.
  • eternalfyr
    eternalfyr Posts: 3
    Options
    To me it doesnt matter if diet soda is worse for me than regular soda, they are both completely empty calories and harmful to your body over all. I drank a 12 pack a day for 9 years and once I started my current diet and exercise plan I stopped drinking it completely. I have never had a craving for it. I do catch myself ordering it out of habit, but there has not been a single soda in the apartment in 7 weeks. My room mate agreed to quit as well. He didnt change a single thing with his horrible diet and no exercise schedule, yet somehow managed to lose 26 pounds in 7 weeks. Hmmm wonder how that happen.Just cause I know it will come up my loss has been 32 lbs over the same seven weeks
  • ehilgeman
    ehilgeman Posts: 45
    Options
    Not a surprise that it's bad for me. But, really, people, I gave up smoking, I rarely drink alcohol, I'm eating healthy/whole foods most of the time, I exercise 5x/week: is it realllllyyyyyy soooooo bad to have a Diet Coke once in a while?

Every other day, it seems I hear about something new that's going to kill me - I suspect that, if I eat too many vegetables, scientists could find a way to predict that I will have a heart attack. My take on all this? As long as it's in moderation, it's probably not going to shorten your life span by that much anyway. Better that I have a diet soda periodically than that I get frustrated with denying myself everything and eat a chocolate cake.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I am well aware that diet soda isn't necessarily good for me (and I don't drink that much of it anyway), I also know that the pack of cigarettes I smoke every day isn't good for me. But I have given up a lot of vices that were far worse than that, so in the long run I'm just not that concerned about the possible effects of a little aspartame. And no matter how healthy I am or how 'clean' I eat I'm not going to live forever anyway.
  • brittanyscherich
    brittanyscherich Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It's nice of you to think of us all. But everyone already knows diet pop is bad for you. And now, you're just being condescending. It's a free country and if we want to have a diet pepsi or whatever, it's that person's business and not yours.
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I had a heart attack at the age of 36. By that point I had NEVER EVER drank a diet soda. Now that I drink diet dr pepper every single day (And even for breakfast) I have lost 25 pounds since December. My Diabetes went down from a 9.7 to a 6.6. And my heart is fine.

So. yeah.

*sips Diet Dr Pepper
  • Kristinemillar
    Options
    The problem with these studies, and there are many out there covering a multitude of foods... Only this week there was a report that eating red meat gives you stomach cancer.. is that they do not seem to take into account any other aspect of the subjects lifestyles, if they are pre-disposed to any of the medical conditions genetically, if there are environmental factors that could contribute.

I take all these reports with a hefty pinch of salt. If I want to drink diet drinks (I maybe have 1 a day) then I will.. If I want to eat red meat I will, Heck, Lettuce can be bad for you if you eat too much of it..

As an adult, like everyone else here, it is my right to make the choices that I do regarding diet and habits... I smoke 10-15 cigarettes a day but drink only very occassionally.. My smoking (ALWAYS done outdoors) has no direct effect on anyone but me as does my decision to drink diet drinks...

Like they say, everything is bad for you in the wrong amounts.. so EVERYTHING IN MODERATION is the way to go.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    >mfw you think correlation equals causation.
  • cafeteriagirl
    cafeteriagirl Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to disagree with you. I was a regular soda drinker from way back. My dr. said drinking diet soda is a whole lot better. I need the caffeine or I get migraine headaches. You cant take away all the sugars I feel, and even gum has aspartamin however you spell that word. Even if you look in sugarless gum it has that. Thanks for posting the caution but I will continue to drink diet soda there are a lot of other things that are worse for you.
  • hairypete1138
    hairypete1138 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I generally only drink pop of any sort (usually diet coke, pepsi max or diet ginger ale) when I'm mixing it with Scotch or Vodka, so I'm aware I'm using a double-barrelled firing squad, and I just enjoy it in infrequent moderation.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    I generally only drink pop of any sort (usually diet coke, pepsi max or diet ginger ale) when I'm mixing it with Scotch or Vodka, so I'm aware I'm using a double-barrelled firing squad, and I just enjoy it in infrequent moderation.

the only thing I put in my vodka is more vodka :wink:
  • 90210UK
    90210UK Posts: 81
    Options
    Death by diet soda or death by Fat-ness??? :) Diet soda for me!!!!!!

Ah sure they say ketchup gives you cancer so I am sure us diet coke drinkers will be fine.... I'm just lucky I'm not a chain smoking, alcholic, kethcup addict, diet coke drinker :)
  • blodauwen
    blodauwen Posts: 4
    Options
    what does everyone use instead of sweetners which are in all low fat yogurts etc and used instead of sugar in coffee etc?
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    what does everyone use instead of sweetners which are in all low fat yogurts etc and used instead of sugar in coffee etc?

I personally will stay away from any pre-sweeten/fruit yogurt and get plain-ole-jane greek yogurt instead. I sweeten it myself with real raw/unfiltered sugar, raw honey or agave nectar. I rather have the real deal than some fake 'sweetener', and I'm able to control the sweet taste.

I don't put sugar in my coffee.

Edit: Oh, and fruit too! Fruit alone gives yogurt enough sweetness. :)
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    haven't had sugar in tea for years