anyone else on 1000cal and struggling?

Options

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Note To Members

Please note that I've had a little clean up of this topic, although some of the removed replies were giving firm advice and were breaking no guidelines I felt it necessary to remove any reference to certain replies made.

I would also like to point out that although we greatly appreciate all positive and helpful input within the community, promoting any VLCD (Very Low calorie Diet) is a breach of community guidelines that are set in place to protect all members of the community.

If you ever see any such intance of this kind of promotion, please report it to the moderation team so that we can review it and take apropriate action.

With respect,
    Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It is recommended that no one eat below 1200 calories

-1500 is the recommended minimum for men

Says who?

I believe MFP got that information from the National Institute of Health.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

Jinx, you owe me a soda.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It is recommended that no one eat below 1200 calories

-1500 is the recommended minimum for men

Says who?

I believe MFP got that information from the National Institute of Health.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1375583-a-message-about-myfitnesspal-s-updated-nutrition-goals

Jinx, you owe me a soda.

I posted 2 mins before you :tongue:
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    and it's likely that 1200 wouldn't be enough for you.

Give it time and try eating more. Then it's more likely that you will keep the weight loss and not gain weight back. It is a high chance that if you don't eat enough, you'll end up binging as soon as you ''get rid of the weight'' (and quickly) and gain the weight back plus more.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    There is a difference in the meanings of the phrases "safe and effective" versus "absolute bare minimum" or even "dangerous" as some users interpret the claim.

It is also "safe and effective" to lose weight at 1500 and 2000 calories for women and men respectively, but we don't treat those as absolute thresholds, do we?

I'm not sure that anyone replying actually read the link from the NIH.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Ha, in fact, if you bothered to read the document from the NIH, you will note on Chapter 4, Page 74, the following phrase:
    A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal for women and 1,200 to 1,500 kcal for men.

Ahem... "BAM."
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    There is a difference in the meanings of the phrases "safe and effective" versus "absolute bare minimum" or even "dangerous" as some users interpret the claim.

It is also "safe and effective" to lose weight at 1500 and 2000 calories for women and men respectively, but we don't treat those as absolute thresholds, do we?

I'm not sure that anyone replying actually read the link from the NIH.

Usually dangerous is an antonym for safe.
    The LCD ranges given there assume the person is under a physician's care.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ha, in fact, if you bothered to read the document from the NIH, you will note on Chapter 4, Page 74, the following phrase:
    A patient may choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal for women and 1,200 to 1,500 kcal for men.

Ahem... "BAM."

The same document is designed to address "overweight and obese" individuals, per BMI guidelines. Based on their own table, the OP does not classify as either (has a sub-25 BMI). So this "patient" should probably not "choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal". So you are basically picking a fight that doesn't actually apply to this particular situation. Good job.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Ahem... "BAM."

The same document is designed to address "overweight and obese" individuals, per BMI guidelines. Based on their own table, the OP does not classify as either (has a sub-25 BMI). So this "patient" should probably not "choose a diet of 1,000 to 1,200 kcal". So you are basically picking a fight that doesn't actually apply to this particular situation. Good job.

Exactly. In no fantasy world is it healthy for a 6', 165-lb, 22-year-old person to eat 1,000 calories a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Ahem... "BAM."

If you bothered to read the sentence you quoted, it says patient. Not quite the same.

And to answer your initial question as to WHO made that recommendation. MFP. You know the place where we signed up and agreed to their terms of service. Them, that's who.

YOU, I like!
  • mantium999
    Options

Ahem... "BAM."

If you bothered to read the sentence you quoted, it says patient. Not quite the same.

And to answer your initial question as to WHO made that recommendation. MFP. You know the place where we signed up and agreed to their terms of service. Them, that's who.

I like how you logic
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Ahem... "BAM."

:heart:
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Ahem... "BAM."

The word 'patient' implies that their diet is under the supervision of a qualified physician. Those guides are also for people of average height. OP has stated she's 6' tall, well over the national average for women in any nation.

Also look at the title of the document "Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, evaluation and treatment of overweight and obesity in adults". Once again, OP has a healthy BMI (she's 6' tall. As a girl who's 6'1, I can't believe she'd even attempt 1000Cal a day), and should not eat that low, no matter what the guidelines say.

@georgiarosea I've gone and done the calculation for TDEE for you. If you're completely sedentary, an 0.5kg / 1lb a week weight loss still requires you eat 1400Calories a day. Add in exercise, and it's more. Yes it will take longer for you to lose the weight, but you'll feel better in the process. Besides, what is an extra month compared to the rest of your life?
  • buket1819
    buket1819 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Ahem... "BAM."

1.b. Rate of weight loss
    —A reasonable time line for weight loss is to achieve a 10 percent reduction in body weight over 6 months of therapy. For over weight patients with BMIs in the typical range of 27 to 35, a decrease of 300 to 500kcal/day will result in weight losses of about 1⁄2 to 1lb/week and a 10 percent weight loss in 6
    months. For more severely obese patients with BMIs ≥35, deficits of up to 500 to 1,000 kcal/day will lead to weight losses of about 1 to2 lb/week and a 10 percent weight loss in 6 months.

Quoted from page 72.

• mantium999
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also taken from the same article "From the 25 RCT articles with a duration
    of ³ 6 months, compared to controls, LCDs
    brought about a mean weight loss of approximately
    8 percent of body weight over a period of
    6 months and up to 1 year. The nine studies
    with an intervention lasting from 3 months up
    to 6 months also averaged approximately 8 percent
    weight loss compared to controls."

A 200 lb person, losing 8%, over six months, equates to 16 lbs, or 2.66 lbs per month. 16 lbs, times 3500 calories per pound, is a 56,000 calorie deficit. That equates to a weekly deficit of 2333, or a daily deficit of 333. A 5'5, 200lb woman, with little to no activity level, has an approx TDEE of 2000. Subtract 333 calories, and they should lose the same 16lbs over 6 months by consuming 1667 calories. This suggests that the LCD was no more effective than eating at a moderate deficit.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    Wait, MFP gave me a goal in the 1300s and doesn't yell at me unless I go under 1200. I am set as Male. Am I missing something?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    The National Institutes of Health indicates that eating plans of 1,500 calories for men, and 1,200 calories for women, are safe and effective in achieving weight loss. To align with these guidelines myfitnesspal has implemented a separate calorie minimum for males of 1,500 calories per day. Previously, the minimum was 1,200 calories for both men and women.
    Wait, MFP gave me a goal in the 1300s and doesn't yell at me unless I go under 1200. I am set as Male. Am I missing something?

There was a bug that was giving people goals of like 700--maybe you signed up during that period? I recommend going into goals and running your numbers again.
  • wosslogic
    wosslogic Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not OP, but people don't realize that 1200 isn't enough for VERY short people to lose weight. :/ I maintained for three months on 1200 and have only started losing weight since I started sticking to 1000... It sucks a LOT, but it's actually necessary
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    wosslogic wrote: »
    Not OP, but people don't realize that 1200 isn't enough for VERY short people to lose weight. :/ I maintained for three months on 1200 and have only started losing weight since I started sticking to 1000... It sucks a LOT, but it's actually necessary

And that comes up when a short person makes a thread, but OP is six feet tall.