Worst fitness plans ever!

Options

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am a one month member at planet fitness and I don't see any of what people complain about here. I dead lift often.
    As kami3006 said, some locations are more lenient with regard to this rule. Officially though, dead lifting is prohibited.

Also, when some people say that deadlifting is allowed at their PF location, they're referring to use of the Smith machine. Obviously, that's not a true deadlift. (I'm not talking about you when I say this, of course, as I would have no way of knowing if that's the case at your particular PF.)
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I am a one month member at planet fitness and I don't see any of what people complain about here. I dead lift often. They do have a weight limit on it but fortunately I am not close to maximum. I have yet to see the lunk alarm go off although I am waiting for it. The pizza? Why is it a problem? It is once a month and the reward of pizza is enough to get my daughter running her butt off. A good thing. Tanning is crap but they have the red light therapy which cleared up a skin problem I had in a very short time. Hydromassage rules.

Very heavy people are so uncomfortable in a 'regular' gym, myself included.

I did have an employee say 'you are in here all the time " like it was a bad thing. That I didn't like. But I am in much better shape than I was.

Is is hokey? Yes. Are there fat people there? Yes. Does it work if you go? Yes.

The original workouts that are posted here are crazy stupid though.

What is the deadlift weight limit?
    Not sure. I am not even half way down the rack of what I can pick up. I will look tonight.

Some are corporate owned. Some are franchised, so the rules can vary a small bit. Many of them have banned it outright.

Glad you're able to get the deadlifts done.

I was going to say the PF that I go to does not allow deadlifts(I haven't built up to deadlifts yet, so it doesn't bother me), but the one about 15minutes from my job does... They have a decent amount of weights for it, so I agree-it is not universal...
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I am a one month member at planet fitness and I don't see any of what people complain about here. I dead lift often.
    As kami3006 said, some locations are more lenient with regard to this rule. Officially though, dead lifting is prohibited.

Also, when some people say that deadlifting is allowed at their PF location, they're referring to use of the Smith machine. Obviously, that's not a true deadlift. (I'm not talking about you when I say this, of course, as I would have no way of knowing if that's the case at your particular PF.)
    Deadlifting... in the smith machine...? That hurts to think about...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I am a one month member at planet fitness and I don't see any of what people complain about here. I dead lift often. They do have a weight limit on it but fortunately I am not close to maximum. I have yet to see the lunk alarm go off although I am waiting for it. The pizza? Why is it a problem? It is once a month and the reward of pizza is enough to get my daughter running her butt off. A good thing. Tanning is crap but they have the red light therapy which cleared up a skin problem I had in a very short time. Hydromassage rules.

Very heavy people are so uncomfortable in a 'regular' gym, myself included.

I did have an employee say 'you are in here all the time " like it was a bad thing. That I didn't like. But I am in much better shape than I was.

Is is hokey? Yes. Are there fat people there? Yes. Does it work if you go? Yes.

The original workouts that are posted here are crazy stupid though.

What is the deadlift weight limit?
    Not sure. I am not even half way down the rack of what I can pick up. I will look tonight.

I think she's talking about those fixed weight barbells ('halfway down the rack') not a Smith Machine.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    haha I wish my gym kept their barbells organized by weight... but they get used so often, people just put them wherever.
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Saturday: 10 minutes hydromassage OR massage chair

I don't know guys. 10 minutes sounds really intense, and this choice thing is just way too stressful. But, y'know what? Once I actually make a decision, I'm sure I'll deserve half a pizza because it's just so hard to dedicate myself to this.

Also, 5 minutes tanning sounds very hard. I don't know if I could hold that prone position for so long - it's so hard on my lungs and joints. I don't think that's healthy - anyone who does that has to be a lunk.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Wow, so according to most of you, basically everyone at planet fitness is there to eat pizza and "feel" like they're working out, without actually breaking a sweat.

It's just an inexpensive gym, with plenty of equipment, that suits a lot of people's needs. Why the hate?
    The majority of the people I see at my PF are not even overweight! Many are in extremely good shape, and there are plenty of pretty large dudes who lift there.

It's a great starting point for someone who is self conscious about even joining a gym. I had never joined one before, and was incredibly anxious about it. When I saw the lady at the register was my size, it made me feel much less intimidated and more at ease. What's wrong with that?

I see so many people there every day, busting their *kitten*. Yet you all make it out to be like they're lazy.

I agree that what was posted is not a good workout routine at all. Blame that on PF's marketing. That doesn't mean everyone who goes to this gym is a fool who would follow that garbage. Maybe they don't want to spend a fortune just to get a good workout.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Tanning .. massage ... WTF!

A lunk alarm, someone is motivated and puts in the time to be in awesome shape that they can get kicked out? Seems counter-intuitive to me.
  • KCastilleja88
    KCastilleja88 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also go to Planet Fitness early in the morning and as the Hodgetwins would say "I DO WHATEVER THE F*%$! I WANNA DO!" If you go early you wont have to worry about the alarm going off when you drop the weights lol, plus its less crowded. I only go there cause its cheap and better than my small apartment gym. Plus I also have a membership at UFC Gym so PF is just there when I need weights.
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow, so according to most of you, basically everyone at planet fitness is there to eat pizza and "feel" like they're working out, without actually breaking a sweat.

No. We are criticizing the company's methods and "fitness plans," not the people who go there.

As someone pointed out earlier, some knowledgeable people do go, despite the ridiculous policies, because they need something cheap.
    It's just an inexpensive gym, with plenty of equipment, that suits a lot of people's needs. Why the hate?
    Because it's NOT just an inexpensive gym. It's a gym that provides false information about fitness, that discourages people from working hard, that feeds fattening food to its clientele, and so forth, and so on.

Of course, if you can convince me that lying in a tanning bed is a good workout, then I might we willing to reconsider that position.
  • Noodle797
    Noodle797 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Alright. I know that some people don't like it when a certain large fitness chain gets criticized, but I just have to let it out. These fitness "plans" were pulled directly from their Facebook page.

How can anyone think that these are sensible regimens for getting into shape? I'd even say that these plans will do more damage than good. Apart from the unhealthy tanning program (which obviously won't build an ounce of muscle or reduce fat), they would also lull people into thinking that a good exercise program requires no effort to speak of. A lot people already think that way, and promoting such a notion is just darned irresponsible.

58b12yq8wi8x.png

So, I've been working out nearly every day for 6 months & tbh 10 crunches would've been extremely difficult for me back in January, maybe impossible. I agree that the tanning is stupid, but honestly for people who are incredibly out of shape like I was this looks like an ok starting point. Sorry if my inability to do more than 10 Burpees disgusts anyone, but it's definitely better than sitting on the couch. Heck, I have a neighbor who is working up to walking a complete lap around her living room. Everyone has to start somewhere! :)
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I was going to a all women's gym for years and I really enjoyed it but they had very obese people just doing hand/ arm exercises , basically peddling their arms and watching TV. I saw this day after day and thought what a waste of time and really money. They would be better off doing a group walk together outside the gym just to get their hearts moving a bit.. I also have seen obese people join this local running club for this Summer Fitness Camp for improving your marathon skills, where everyone is a size 2 and after one 1 1/2 hours of a very hard work out in very hot weather ,they quit. Workouts have to be realistic, they have to fit your personal circumstances and have to have some common sense. A 300 + pound person shouldn't be in a running camp with my husband who can run 10 miles a day for years at a time. Of course they quit and give up. Both times I felt like saying something but didn't. Those were the two situations I saw that just didn't make any sense- at least the second one, the camp, costs only $30.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I was out of town and wanted something better than the hotel fitness room so walked to a PF across the street (having heard of their limitations, but with no transportation in a strange city what do you do). Asked about a one day guest pass and was told it was $20. WTF, they charge $20 for a 1 month premium membership.

Obviously I walked out the door.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »

So, I've been working out nearly every day for 6 months & tbh 10 crunches would've been extremely difficult for me back in January, maybe impossible. I agree that the tanning is stupid, but honestly for people who are incredibly out of shape like I was this looks like an ok starting point. Sorry if my inability to do more than 10 Burpees disgusts anyone, but it's definitely better than sitting on the couch. Heck, I have a neighbor who is working up to walking a complete lap around her living room. Everyone has to start somewhere! :)

I agree with you - if they put this out there as a beginners type of plan I have no problem with it. Except the tanning. They could have options for that one like tanning OR smoking cigarettes OR taking a naked spacewalk.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If you can't do 10 crunches as part of a circuit, then you should walk for half an hour. 10 crunches burns nothing.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options

The majority of the people I see at my PF are not even overweight! Many are in extremely good shape, and there are plenty of pretty large dudes who lift there.

It's a great starting point for someone who is self conscious about even joining a gym. I had never joined one before, and was incredibly anxious about it. When I saw the lady at the register was my size, it made me feel much less intimidated and more at ease. What's wrong with that?

I see so many people there every day, busting their *kitten*. Yet you all make it out to be like they're lazy.

I agree that what was posted is not a good workout routine at all. Blame that on PF's marketing. That doesn't mean everyone who goes to this gym is a fool who would follow that garbage. Maybe they don't want to spend a fortune just to get a good workout.

The reason PF is inexpensive is because they are banking on people quickly dropping off...therefore they don't have a lot of equipment that needs to be maintained/replaced. So I think the judgment you're seeing is towards PF, not the people who join.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Noodle797 wrote: »
    Alright. I know that some people don't like it when a certain large fitness chain gets criticized, but I just have to let it out. These fitness "plans" were pulled directly from their Facebook page.

How can anyone think that these are sensible regimens for getting into shape? I'd even say that these plans will do more damage than good. Apart from the unhealthy tanning program (which obviously won't build an ounce of muscle or reduce fat), they would also lull people into thinking that a good exercise program requires no effort to speak of. A lot people already think that way, and promoting such a notion is just darned irresponsible.

58b12yq8wi8x.png

I definitely see your point. I know someone who was so out of shape that when she had to go to physical therapy after an accident, she had to work her way up for weeks, maybe months, from simple movements to actually WALKING on a treadmill (the accident didn't affect her legs, just back pain).

It's possible someone really out of shape would use this as a starting point and eventually say "hey, those 10 pushups aren't that bad anymore! Let me try another 10!"

But the tanning part is horrible.
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're talking about people with serious disabilities or who are recovering from an accident... sure, I can understand how doing ten pushups or so would be difficult. And yes, there may even be cases of extreme obesity wherein someone cannot squeeze out a single crunch. For the vast majority of people though, even if they're out of shape, they should be able to do so... even if it means doing pushups from one's knees.

Also, as I pointed out earlier, they're not marketing these plans as beginner routines, or routines for the badly injured. They're simply presenting them as sensible fitness plans. The tanning and massage chairs should immediately clue people in that these plans were not well designed.

As for not being able to do ten crunches -- remember, these are very small movements. Not full situps, but small contractions of the abdominal muscles. There may be some out-of-shape people who can't manage that, but I can guarantee that the vast majority can. If you can get out of bed without rolling out of it, then you can do a crunch. And even if you can't, there are alternatives such as walking that will burn more calories than ten measly crunches.

Sorry folks, but there's no defending these fitness "plans." Not in any sensible way, at least.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think that PF putting out these "plans" is irresponsible because they will make people think they are "exercising" and "being active" enough and will usually allow themselves to eat more as a result. How many calories does 10 crunches or 15 burpees burn? Not enough for an Oreo cookie, that's for sure.

Seriously, anyone who spends any amount of time in these boards has seen the multitudes of "I'm eating healthy and exercising, why aren't I losing weight?" posts that appear every single day. The misinformation about what it takes to lose weight that's out there is overwhelming. I can guarantee that for every person who's asking, there are many more out there who aren't. They think they're doing what they need to do to lose weight and they're not. "Fitness plans" like these, put out there by an organization that people trust to help them manage their weight and health only make the problem worse.
  • DennyB1964
    DennyB1964 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness.

Why?

Because I'm cheap, and my problem is not knowledge, it's actually doing what I already know how to do.

I signed up when I was unemployed and desperately needed something to take my mind off what felt like a 24/7 job search in a state with 14% unemployment. Yeah, it sucked. Within a couple of weeks, I got a job, and I got caught up in just working. I went a total of two times.

About 6 weeks ago, I decided I was done with feeling like crap, knew what I needed to do, and since I was still paying the $10 every month I might as well use it. The guy at the desk said it had been something like 437 days since my last visit. :o

I go in and do weight training for a little over half an hour. I don't care about a deadlift limit because I'm hypermobile and don't trust my joints to not randomly pop out and back in again. I'm all about the machines because no one dies from a barbell landing on their head. You're welcome. After the weights, I head for the treadmill because it's about 110F and monsoon season here. Not a chance I'm going out in that. I walk/run alternating for about 2 miles, and I'm working on making that all running. But I only started the running part last week. I'm increasing gradually.

I ignore the bagels and pizza. Honestly, I haven't even seen them in the 6 weeks I've been going, so maybe they're all gone by the time I get there. I hate to say it, but I like the idea of a lunk alarm because this is not my first gym, and when you have people who are only there to be seen and gossip about people who are really trying, it makes you want to smack them upside the head. But you can't because they'd kick your *kitten*. :# So this kind of enforces the idea that everyone is there to get in a workout, not be seen or stroke your own ego.

Maybe it's just my location, but there are a LOT of people who have obviously been training for a while and doing it well. And there are people who obviously don't know what they're doing (I'm trying to help my boyfriend, for one). The hydromassage, tanning beds and the other benefits are included when you pay $20 per month, not $10, so it's not even an issue for me.

Do I like their tactics? No, not at all. But I will use them for my purposes, and if they're not really making much money off of me, then I won't worry.