Worst fitness plans ever!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The fact that they have banned deadlifts disqualifies them as a gym. imo

That's why I want to workout there. To see if they would kick me out when I do them.

I don't want to be a member, I just want to hear the "lunk alarm" go off and see them kick someone out just once.

I was a member back when I first started exercising and the lunk alarm would routinely go off 1-2 times over the hour or so I was there 3 nights a week. It was... annoying.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Sorry for the doublepost but I couldn't resist...

2a79e743599ad6b46ca0d479e51b1772.jpg

I seriously translated this pic to: Bro tried to deadlift, security beat him down. "YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE!!""
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    edited July 2015
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,903 Member
    This is the thread that never ends...
    It just goes on and on my friends...
    Some people... started reading it not knowing what it was,
    Now they'll continue reading it forever just because:

This is the thread that never ends...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Five crunches in a single day is nowhere near the point at which any reasonable person -- in shape or not -- would fizzle out. Nor would a measly fifteen jumping jacks do that, and so forth. While doing too much can cause some people to fizzle out, these so-called "plans" go far beyond merely scaling back.

As far as starting with a little bit and then adding more goes, people usually do that IF they see results. When it comes to such horribly lightweight regimens though, one can't expect to see any substantial results. The Mayo Clinic recommends "least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes a week of vigorous aerobic activity" plus some strength training. These programs don't come anywhere close to that.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/expert-answers/exercise/faq-20057916

Now this is the point at which certain poster here say, "But these plans are good for some people! Maybe that's all that someone can do!" That is postulating extreme and purely hypothetical situations though, and such cases should not be used for developing guidelines for the general public. Besides, if somebody struggles to do five lousy stomach crunches, then that person needs to be under a physician's watchful care rather than relying on generic recommendations from a so-called gym.

Ooh ooh... wait, which certain poster? :bigsmile:

Again, you're taking your goals and projecting it on everyone else. What results do you think I was seeing with five minutes of Zumba? Not everyone working out has some grand end destination or is looking for unrealistic results in the shortest possible amount of time. Some people work out just to get moving for any number of reasons. Could be just to get the bum off the couch and DO SOMETHING other than being lazy or otherwise somewhat immobile. And if I can be successful at a little, maybe I'll do more.

LOL "general public". I'll admit, PF failed at their PSA. Oh wait, it wasn't one. They're just a business advertising a product that people can pass on if they do not want
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited July 2015
    Well, duh. Of course people can pass on a lousy product if they want to. And a company can use unethical means if they so choose. That doesn't make it ethical for a company to use such tactics.

For some reason, this simple concept continues to elude you. You place all the "personal responsibility" (to use your term) on the consumer, while absolving the company of any responsibility in such dealings.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Well, duh. Of course people can pass on a lousy product if they want to. And a company can use unethical means if they so choose. That doesn't make it ethical for a company to use such tactics.

For some reason, this simple concept continues to elude you. You place all the "personal responsibility" (to use your term) on the consumer, while absolving the company of any responsibility in such dealings.

How could it possibly be unethical to provide a product or service that some people may find useful just because *you* don't? Is this your personal company, instituted for the singular purpose of pleasing and satisfying you? Go back and re-read your topic. Your made up concept doesn't elude just me. Multiple people have told you that at various points in their fitness journies, they may not even have been able to execute this plan. Your constant response has been that we must be somehow incapacitated and needing to work with a doctor, even though it's been explained that that's not always the case. You're looking for all the wrong things in all the wrong places. I like your citing of the recommendation for how long people should work out per week. Ever think that adults could choose to execute (or exceed!) that recommendation for themselves, and not necessarily say oh here's the PF plan, I'm going to ignore everything else I've ever learned or read, or any personal goals I may have, and restrict myself to just this for the rest of my life?

Yes, I have personal responsibility for my own health and fitness. Companies may present a variety of product and service options, if they so choose. I want more options, not less, and I can then select which one(s) best suits my needs. There's no rule that every option presented has to work for everyone. It is after all a marketed product, which could be targeted to a niche population. The fact that I may not be their target market doesn't make the product unethical.
  • williamwj2014
    williamwj2014 Posts: 750 Member
    edited July 2015
    I started my fitness journey at planet fitness. It's an affordable gym for $10 a month and has some beginner equipment. Would I recommend this gym if your dream is to get big and muscular? No. But for someone starting their fitness journey, it offers you plenty to get rolling. Some of their practices are pretty stupid such as tootsie rolls at the front desk..some even offer pizza (none in the Las Vegas area did the pizza or bagels though) I never heard no lunk alarm at the gym I went to, must be something at select places. I began hating that gym after I wanted to get into lifting but It got me on the right track. Definitely do like the gym I go to now since its a legitimate gym with plenty of toys!

As for this thread, yeah that's some funny plans and remember seeing one of them haha.
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

How could it possibly be unethical to provide a product or service that some people may find useful just because *you* don't? Is this your personal company, instituted for the singular purpose of pleasing and satisfying you?

In his book, "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People," Stephen Covey offers the following piece of advice: "Seek first to understand, then to be understood." You would do well to heed that advice.

I have emphasized, over and over again, that the problem is NOT that these plans don't suit me personally. Rather, the problem is that these plans would be helpful to practically nobody. Anyone who;d be challenged by such a routine would require physical rehab and a physician's care, not some generic recommendations from a "gym."

Again, I have stated this multiple times now, yet you keep insisting that I object because it doesn't suit me personally. Up until now, I've been giving you the benefit of the doubt, but it has now become obvious that you're deliberately ignoring this distinction. You would much rather pretend that I protest because these plans don't fit MY particular needs. And why? Because it's much easier to argue against a caricatured stance rather than what one's opponent is actually stating.

Logicians have a term for that. It's called a strawman argument, and it's considered unacceptable in rational discourse. You might want to look it up.

Also, the problem is NOT that Planet Fitness merely "provide(s) a product or service." The problem is that they RECOMMEND these plans, even though they fall far short of what even a beginner would require for basic fitness. Again, I refer you to the Mayo Clinic's recommendations on the amount of exercise that a typical person needs. These plans don't come anywhere close to meeting those requirements. Heck, the tanning portion alone would actually be harmful.

Despite all this, I'm pretty sure that you will continue to say, "So what if these plans don't help you personally? They don't have to be for you!" I predict that you will continue to attack based on that point, completely ignoring the actual nature of my complaint, which is that practically nobody would benefit from such pathetic fitness plans.

Clearly, the overwhelming majority of respondents in this thread grasp that distinction. I wish that you would, too.

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm glad you guys don't know my workout routine.

lol awesome
  • MelodyandBarbells

I have emphasized, over and over again, that the problem is NOT that these plans don't suit me personally. Rather, the problem is that these plans would be helpful to practically nobody. Anyone who;d be challenged by such a routine would require physical rehab and a physician's care, not some generic recommendations from a "gym."

Again is that practically nobody would benefit from such pathetic fitness plans.

Stating something over and over again doesn't make you right.

Why are you ignoring multiple posts stating that out of shape people who didn't actually require a physicians care would not even have been able to complete this plan, or even something simpler? When I needed to lose weight, my doctor said "you need to lose weight". Not "I understand you've over eaten so much that you can't run for five minutes without doubling over and crying for Mommy. Here's a rehab plan to get you started". Where are you getting this, that anyone who can't execute an easy plan, which, frankly would likely be a whole lot of couch potatoes, automatically requires a physician's care and assistance to get fit? By casually dismissing this segment of the population, you call them "practically nobody" and insist the plan is useless. Since it doesn't work for you, and segments of the population you're aware of, you're saying it shouldn't be published. Therefore it may benefit you to become more aware of more people and their fitness related interests :)
    Clearly, the overwhelming majority of respondents in this thread grasp that distinction. I wish that you would, too.

The overwhelming majority of posters enjoy a "Planet Fitness is ridiculous" discussion. It's easy to get the two confused ;)

• MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    24-Hour Fitness is also $10-15 a month. For $20, you get CHILDCARE.

And it's open all the time!

And yes, it's insanely unethical to imply that those are "workout plans."
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member

Again is that practically nobody would benefit from such pathetic fitness plans.

Why are you ignoring multiple posts stating that out of shape people who didn't actually require a physicians care would not even have been able to complete this plan, or even something simpler? When I needed to lose weight, my doctor said "you need to lose weight". Not "I understand you've over eaten so much that you can't run for five minutes without doubling over and crying for Mommy. Here's a rehab plan to get you started". Where are you getting this, that anyone who can't execute an easy plan, which, frankly would likely be a whole lot of couch potatoes, automatically requires a physician's care and assistance to get fit? By casually dismissing this segment of the population, you call them "practically nobody" and insist the plan is useless. Since it doesn't work for you, and segments of the population you're aware of, you're saying it shouldn't be published. Therefore it may benefit you to become more aware of more people and their fitness related interests :)

The overwhelming majority of posters enjoy a "Planet Fitness is ridiculous" discussion. It's easy to get the two confused ;)

I like you!
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015

For the sake of argument, let's assume that you're correct. How does this justify repeatedly misstating my position?

Quite simply, it does not. There is nothing honest about retorting, "So what if this plan doesn't suit you?" when my contention is that practically nobody would benefit from these ridiculous plans.
    Why are you ignoring multiple posts stating that out of shape people who didn't actually require a physicians care would not even have been able to complete this plan, or even something simpler?
    Because, in your own words, "Stating something over and over again doesn't make you right." There may be SOME people, under extreme and highly hypothetical situations, for whom these plans would be perfectly fine. For the overwhelming majority, these plans don't come anywhere close to what one would need.

And before you repeat your mantra of, "But it's a starting point," I'd like to remind you that PF doesn't present them as mere options or ways to start. They present them as actual plans, recommending them to the general public. As MamaBirdBoss said, that is insanely unethical.

• spartan_d
    When I needed to lose weight, my doctor said "you need to lose weight". Not "I understand you've over eaten so much that you can't run for five minutes without doubling over and crying for Mommy. Here's a rehab plan to get you started". Where are you getting this, that anyone who can't execute an easy plan, which, frankly would likely be a whole lot of couch potatoes, automatically requires a physician's care and assistance to get fit? By casually dismissing this segment of the population, you call them "practically nobody" and insist the plan is useless.

Nobody's saying that a fitness plan has to be difficult. Even under the scenario that you outlined though, the plans proposed by Planet Fitness are still woefully inadequate. There's a huge difference between running for five minutes and doing FIVE LOUSY CRUNCHES.

So you can't run? Okay, then walk. Can't jump without getting winded? Then you can do some free squats. Can't swim? Then walk in the pool, using the water to provide resistance. It's perfectly fine to modify one's routine based on one's ability. The Planet Fitness plans, however, are so pathetic that YES, PRACTICALLY NOBODY -- not even the severely out of shape -- would consider them to be a serious challenge.

These plans are horribly inadequate, even for a couch potato. Anyone who struggles with them needs to be under a physician's watchful care -- a physician who would know better than to recommend lying in a tanning bed or a massage chair.

Your argument would have more weight if PF were to say, "These plans are only recommended for the extremely obese or for people who are recovering from surgery." They don't, though. They simply offer them as plans recommended for the general public, and that is most certainly unethical.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Man, PF sure can tick some people off. At least they get lots of attention in these forums. They're doing something right! LOL
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    ^^^^^^^ where's the like button (LOL)
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Man, PF sure can tick some people off. At least they get lots of attention in these forums. They're doing something right! LOL

Really.....This is the first PF thread I've seen in probably over a year.

I guess if you call hypocrisy and caricaturizing people as "doing something right"...than ya...they must be.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member

I'm curious what segment of the population you think can't complete but do not require physical therapy. Your average couch potato could (at minimum) complete a week's worth of planet fitness' workout plan in a single session provided they actually put forth effort.
    I have a 470lb coworker that I occasionally exercise with and I know for a fact that he is capable of doing 10 squats or 10 crunches without much trouble and I know he wouldn't consider that a full day's workout. I get that everyone has different capabilities but he is an extreme example and if he is capable of completing those things then they shouldn't be a problem for someone who weighs 300 pounds. So again, what segment of the population do you thingk spartan_d is alienating? Certainly no one under 470lbs...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member

Which does what for there establishment besides decrease clientele?