Worst fitness plans ever!

Options

Replies

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It attracts the kind of people they want --- people who will pay $10/month but won't put in much effort. People who will give up quickly and who are eager to believe that a few seconds of exercise per day is all you need. People who won't use the facility very often and who won't create much wear and tear on the equipment.

Their entire marketing strategy is designed to attract such people. That's why the only foods they offer are the fattening ones. It's how they appeal to their desired clientele.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It attracts the kind of people they want --- people who will pay $10/month but won't put in much effort. People who will give up quickly and who are eager to believe that a few seconds of exercise per day is all you need. People who won't use the facility very often and who won't create much wear and tear on the equipment.

Their entire marketing strategy is designed to attract such people. That's why the only foods they offer are the fattening ones. It's how they appeal to their desired clientele.

I'd like to think they are making decent money with that,still kinda feels wrong... I mean, from what I read, you can't deadlift LOL, you can't "lift heavy" what on earth does that even mean? Heavy as compared to what/whom? Can I do leg press at 140kgs or that's too heavy?

I guess it's a place to go and feel you are at least moving some body parts instead of sitting on a couch. But not for people who are engaged in weight lifting,if there are limitations and what not.

Also,I have to say it again... free pizza xD while "working out"
    Pffff

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I know right. Where are the protein shakes at like golds gym does. I do understand from my experience golds gyms are for the female body builders.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I find it amusing that you don't belong to PF or ever been in one, which I haven't seen you say you have, yet you know exactly who belongs there. They really grind your gears, don't they? Most of these threads are based on "I heard they force feed you pizza every day to keep you fat" or "you are discouraged from working out" by people who have never even set foot in a PF. Like a game of telephone, by the time you get to the person at the end, it's all jumbled and mostly untrue.

I could tell you who belongs to MY PF, because I have belonged there for 7 years, but you don't want to hear the truth. You would rather create your own truth. And that's cool. Have fun with that.
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015
    Options

I find it amusing that you don't belong to PF or ever been in one....
    And that is where you are wrong. Your objection is invalid. If you want to use this line of argumentation, it is doomed to fail.
    Most of these threads are based on "I heard they force feed you pizza every day to keep you fat"...
    Tell ya what. Why don't you cite an example of someone actually saying that Planet Fitness forces people to eat pizza? You're going to have to search long and hard, because I'm pretty sure that nobody here has said such a thing. Until you find such a cite, you might want to refrain from saying such things.

Planet Fitness does use fattening foods to ENTICE people to sign up. That itself is a pretty questionable tactic. We can be thankful that they don't actually ram the donuts down people's throats, but that still doesn't make this tactic ethical or savory.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I find it amusing that you don't belong to PF or ever been in one, which I haven't seen you say you have, yet you know exactly who belongs there. They really grind your gears, don't they? Most of these threads are based on "I heard they force feed you pizza every day to keep you fat" or "you are discouraged from working out" by people who have never even set foot in a PF. Like a game of telephone, by the time you get to the person at the end, it's all jumbled and mostly untrue.

I could tell you who belongs to MY PF, because I have belonged there for 7 years, but you don't want to hear the truth. You would rather create your own truth. And that's cool. Have fun with that.

Just to add to this -

EVERY gym wants people to sign up and not show up. They bank on it. Gyms have far more members than they have space to accomodate them.

I have never been to a PF. I do have friends on here who are hard working, successful people who use the gym.
    I am not a fan of their marketing strategy but whatever.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    This has to be one of the worst!
    p2a2e7e7v213.gif
  • spartan_d
    Options

Just to add to this -

EVERY gym wants people to sign up and not show up. They bank on it. Gyms have far more members than they have space to accomodate them.

This argument again?

Gym owners do know that some people will seldom use their facilities, and I'm sure that they appreciate the income. That's entirely different from adopting tactics that are specifically designed to attract people who will seldom use the gym, while simultaneously deterring people who will use it fastidiously.

Counting on people not to show up is one thing. Specifically marketing to people who will almost never show up, while also using tactics that will hinder their progress... that's just plain sleazy.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Even if you took all three weeks and did it as part of one training session it STILL wouldn't be a good workout.
    it would not haha maybe i should do all that except for the tanning part just for fun today :p
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Just to add to this -

I have never been to a PF. I do have friends on here who are hard working, successful people who use the gym.

Not *every* gym. That NPR podcast that was posted earlier in the thread included a gym that kicks people out if they don't come frequently enough. It was geared towards people very serious about fitness and cost around $500/month.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »

Just to add to this -

Not *every* gym. That NPR podcast that was posted earlier in the thread included a gym that kicks people out if they don't come frequently enough. It was geared towards people very serious about fitness and cost around $500/month.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said every, but it is common.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    LLduds wrote: »

Just to add to this -

Sorry, I shouldn't have said every, but it is common.

Probably going to be more common among chain gyms versus smaller gyms too.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The fact that they have banned deadlifts disqualifies them as a gym. imo

How do you ban deadlifts? Why? . . . . What kind of gym is this?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »

a place that got rid of squats racks. They only have smith machines now. Youtube lunk alarm at Planet fitness warning they are hilarious.

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

a place that got rid of squats racks. They only have smith machines now. Youtube lunk alarm at Planet fitness warning they are hilarious.

Why would they feel the need to ban them? I'm still confused on that. If it's somewhere in these 7 pages, I didn't read it lol.

Also - I just checked out their website for the first time as we don't have them in Canada . . . that I know of . . . and they have Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays . . . seriously? If you're going to give away free food (and we all love food) why not make it Veggies & Hummus Wednesday or Protein Smoothie Friday? Seriously, you will not have burned off the calories you're consuming with pizza and bagels with the original work outs posted.
  • spartan_d
    edited July 2015
    Options

Why would they feel the need to ban them?
    Because they consider it to be "lunk" behavior. Deadlifting supposedly intimidates other people -- makes them feel bad about themselves. For this reason, PF chooses to prohibit it.

I have known people who were either kicked out or sternly rebuked for doing other "intimidating" exercises too, such as renegade rows, jumping rope, and running too fast on the treadmill.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    dead-horse.gif

• yopeeps025
    Options

Why would they feel the need to ban them? I'm still confused on that. If it's somewhere in these 7 pages, I didn't read it lol.

Also - I just checked out their website for the first time as we don't have them in Canada . . . that I know of . . . and they have Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays . . . seriously? If you're going to give away free food (and we all love food) why not make it Veggies & Hummus Wednesday or Protein Smoothie Friday? Seriously, you will not have burned off the calories you're consuming with pizza and bagels with the original work outs posted.

Have you ever did deadlifts in silence? That might be the answer.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Why would they feel the need to ban them?
    Because they consider it to be "lunk" behavior. Deadlifting supposedly intimidates other people -- makes them feel bad about themselves. For this reason, PF chooses to prohibit it.

I have known people who were either kicked out or sternly rebuked for doing other "intimidating" exercises too, such as renegade rows, jumping rope, and running too fast on the treadmill.

That why the place gets made fun of a lot.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am a member of planet fitness and, maybe it's gym (or location) specific but there are some very serious weight lifters that go to my gym. I've never been told no deadlifting (I see people, including myself doing it everyday) or no heavy weight lifting. I do not partake in the bagel/ pizza thing and I disagree with them offering it along with the candy but it doesn't stop me from getting a really good workout. My biggest complaint is they do not have a squat rack but other than that, I'm pleased and have gotten some really good results going there 4-5 days per week for the last 3 months. I belonged to a gym previously and it was VERY intimidating but it's always the same 5 am crew and we go about our business, speak, smile, laugh, joke and then go about our day. Plus, it's crazy cheap. Eventually I do hope to "outgrow" it but until then, I'm good.