acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The fact that they have banned deadlifts disqualifies them as a gym. imo

How do you ban deadlifts? Why? . . . . What kind of gym is this?

a place that got rid of squats racks. They only have smith machines now. Youtube lunk alarm at Planet fitness warning they are hilarious.

Why would they feel the need to ban them?
    Because they consider it to be "lunk" behavior. Deadlifting supposedly intimidates other people -- makes them feel bad about themselves. For this reason, PF chooses to prohibit it.

I have known people who were either kicked out or sternly rebuked for doing other "intimidating" exercises too, such as renegade rows, jumping rope, and running too fast on the treadmill.

That's unfortunate . . . I am pretty sure I was intimidated the first time I went to the gym, but then someone told me no one else really cares what you're doing almost everyone is there for themselves. Now I am there for myself. However, if I see someone running faster than me on a treadmill beside me it's huge motivation for me to keep going, plus I can pretend like we're racing and I'm running just as fast because she's no further ahead than I am ;) lol

Also - competition sometimes breeds progress. If you have no one else to compete against then how will you push yourself? I think some healthy competition is great for gym environments, if you want it. If not, then be like most people and go for yourself, ignore what other people do.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oqmlCij01qgf5wso1_500.gif
    newfutures wrote: »
    This has to be one of the worst!
    p2a2e7e7v213.gif

what is that??

Gifs not working today. Maybe this will?
    zidrek2b8r05.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oqmlCij01qgf5wso1_500.gif
    Gif.gif 902.1K
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    It attracts the kind of people they want --- people who will pay $10/month but won't put in much effort. People who will give up quickly and who are eager to believe that a few seconds of exercise per day is all you need. People who won't use the facility very often and who won't create much wear and tear on the equipment.

Their entire marketing strategy is designed to attract such people. That's why the only foods they offer are the fattening ones. It's how they appeal to their desired clientele.

I find it amusing that you don't belong to PF or ever been in one, which I haven't seen you say you have, yet you know exactly who belongs there. They really grind your gears, don't they? Most of these threads are based on "I heard they force feed you pizza every day to keep you fat" or "you are discouraged from working out" by people who have never even set foot in a PF. Like a game of telephone, by the time you get to the person at the end, it's all jumbled and mostly untrue.

I could tell you who belongs to MY PF, because I have belonged there for 7 years, but you don't want to hear the truth. You would rather create your own truth. And that's cool. Have fun with that.

It was closer than 24-hr fitness. So I walked in, took one long, good look around, realized that it was quite deliberately a joke, and left.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The fact that they have banned deadlifts disqualifies them as a gym. imo

:o
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oqmlCij01qgf5wso1_500.gif
    newfutures wrote: »
    This has to be one of the worst!
    p2a2e7e7v213.gif

what is that??

Gifs not working today. Maybe this will?
    zidrek2b8r05.gif

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7oqmlCij01qgf5wso1_500.gif

:smiley: That is pretty funny.
  • Bree_Travels
    Bree_Travels Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Still perplexed about how tanning = fitness. LOL

Secondly, why would anyone pay for a membership and drive to work out to do 10 pushups? Insanity.

so... if tanning = fitness does that mean that Sauna= strenuous workout? I mean... I'm sweating a WHOLE LOT! lol!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I am torn. I'd never go to that gym, I'll stick with my old dirty stinky gym where real people sweat and lift real weights thank you very much. However, if I saw someone who was extremely obese and out of shape doing a work out like that, I'd encourage them. We all started somewhere... It's not like I walked into my MMA class for the first time and threw a perfect jab or landed a perfect roundhouse :wink: But right, expectations have to be higher than this. I mean sure, start here (minus the tanning), but build up to X and so on. And... eating pizza at a gym? that has to be a joke right?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Still perplexed about how tanning = fitness. LOL

Secondly, why would anyone pay for a membership and drive to work out to do 10 pushups? Insanity.

so... if tanning = fitness does that mean that Sauna= strenuous workout? I mean... I'm sweating a WHOLE LOT! lol!

My MIL measures the effectiveness of a workout solely by the amount she sweats. LOL.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    Options
    I admit...our 24hr fitness DID have pizza and pasta night, but the people who ate it were the lifters bulking. LOL. Everyone else ignored it. Ours was very warehouse-y with zero amenities. I loved it because I could come at 11pm and not have to be with anyone but the desk guy.

I switched to the "fancy" gym and hated going there for me, but the childcare was much better quality, so I just sucked it up. Everything was far apart, and the weight room actually kinda sucked and had a bunch of jerk kids who hung out in it and were obnoxious.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    What about massage...does that count?
    Oh dont try this workout at home.
    z633s853ide2.gif

• lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    a PF opened a half-mile from my house. Instead of continuing to drive almost 3 miles daily to 24 Hour Fitness, and pay THREE TIMES what PF charges, I dropped my 24 membership and I've been going to PF for 2 months now.

I love it.

I run to the gym and back home, I don't ever eat anything there, though I've also never seen food there. I love the atmosphere. I love that I can do circuits without anyone getting in my way. It's never remotely as crowded as 24 was. The showers are always super clean, and so are all of the weights and machines.

For my personal uses, PF is the best. But I know better not to listen to their ridiculous "workout" ideas. And I have the $10/month membership, so you wont be seeing me in any tanning beds (do people really want skin cancer that badly?!) or hydromassage bs....

I'm a proponent for getting a hard workout in regardless of where/how you do it.
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love this type of thread. I belong to a Planet Fitness. I also belong to what I call a "Country Club" gym. The PF has everything I need at a GREAT price except for a pool. That is why I belong to the other place also. I call it a "Country Club" gym because it has the pool, wood lockers, the locker room has a sauna AND a steam room, etc.

PF has a place for many people. It is a basic gym with basic equipment for beginner or mid level people. They have things like the Lunk alarm, no dead lift, no squat rack, etc to discourage your more advanced exerciser that wants to go there for solely because of the price.

PF is the Honda Civic of gyms. If you want a Ferrari performance you don't buy a Civic, you buy a Ferrari. If you want Mercedes comfort and styling you buy a Mercedes not a Civic.

I love the Tootsie Rolls. I get 2 every time I leave. Most satisfying 22 calories of my day and since I know I will be having that little treat I don't have any urge to buy any other candy at any other time.

I have a friend that is 100% on making it Pizza night once a month. It is the only 2 pieces of pizza he allows himself to eat each month.

Combination of logging, Fitbit, outside walking/hiking, and Planet Fitness has allowed me to lose 37lbs in the last 11 months. I am happy with that.

And the absolute best thing about PF. Open 24 hours a day. At least 1/3 of my visits are between midnight and 4am. That is a benefit that is hard to come by.

Each person is 100% responsible for there own exercise program. If what someone is doing is not what you would do then just shut your pie hole and mind your own business. They may succeed. They may fail. Either way it will be based on what they choose to do.
  • KayLynn702
    KayLynn702 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok...I admit, I USED to be a member of Planet Fitness - but the lack of motivation, the workers sitting on the counter texting and gabbing all day, not even asking if you need anything, and the fact that I eventually had to scan my own card! Really? I lost the oomph and motivation to go there.

I started my "healthy way of life" so to speak on October 15, 2014...in April 2015 I had hit a major plateau and was about to give up - the gym was blah to me.

So I looked into other gyms around town and found LifeTime - now before i get criticized for how much I spend at this gym it is definitely worth it to me. April to current, my mental and physical state has changed dramatically, people tell me they haven't seen me this happy and confident in along time. Things Lifetime offers is priceless in my opinion.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    KayLynn702 wrote: »
    Ok...I admit, I USED to be a member of Planet Fitness - but the lack of motivation, the workers sitting on the counter texting and gabbing all day, not even asking if you need anything, and the fact that I eventually had to scan my own card! Really? I lost the oomph and motivation to go there.

I started my "healthy way of life" so to speak on October 15, 2014...in April 2015 I had hit a major plateau and was about to give up - the gym was blah to me.

So I looked into other gyms around town and found LifeTime - now before i get criticized for how much I spend at this gym it is definitely worth it to me. April to current, my mental and physical state has changed dramatically, people tell me they haven't seen me this happy and confident in along time. Things Lifetime offers is priceless in my opinion.

I mean it it fits in the limit do it.
  • Oxmarqt
    Oxmarqt Posts: 378 Member
    Options

And that is all that matters no matter the gym and no matter the cost!!!

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You mean there's a gym where they ask you if you need any help? and for me scanning my own card is a good thing, gets me to my work out just that much faster. If you have ten people in line, 2 scanners, but only one person at the desk, then one either is not a member, or have lost their card??? Never heard of LifeTime but it sure looks nice.
    Oxmarqt wrote: »
    I love this type of thread. I belong to a Planet Fitness. I also belong to what I call a "Country Club" gym. The PF has everything I need at a GREAT price except for a pool. That is why I belong to the other place also. I call it a "Country Club" gym because it has the pool, wood lockers, the locker room has a sauna AND a steam room, etc.

PF has a place for many people. It is a basic gym with basic equipment for beginner or mid level people. They have things like the Lunk alarm, no dead lift, no squat rack, etc to discourage your more advanced exerciser that wants to go there for solely because of the price.

PF is the Honda Civic of gyms. If you want a Ferrari performance you don't buy a Civic, you buy a Ferrari. If you want Mercedes comfort and styling you buy a Mercedes not a Civic.

I love the Tootsie Rolls. I get 2 every time I leave. Most satisfying 22 calories of my day and since I know I will be having that little treat I don't have any urge to buy any other candy at any other time.

I have a friend that is 100% on making it Pizza night once a month. It is the only 2 pieces of pizza he allows himself to eat each month.

Combination of logging, Fitbit, outside walking/hiking, and Planet Fitness has allowed me to lose 37lbs in the last 11 months. I am happy with that.

And the absolute best thing about PF. Open 24 hours a day. At least 1/3 of my visits are between midnight and 4am. That is a benefit that is hard to come by.

Each person is 100% responsible for there own exercise program. If what someone is doing is not what you would do then just shut your pie hole and mind your own business. They may succeed. They may fail. Either way it will be based on what they choose to do.

I'm with you there, as long as it's under my calorie count, what's wrong with having a piece of candy or a couple of slices of pizza. I mean is getting fit really about self control?? You have to have some sort of discipline just to work out on a regular basis.

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options

Deadlifts and Squats are staples of just about every novice lifting routine. So they're not 'only for advanced exercisers'. If you were to start stronglifts or starting strength tomorrow you'd be doing at least 1 of those lifts. A Honda Civic will get most people from where they are to where they want to go. Planet Fitness will not.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »

Deadlifts and Squats are staples of just about every novice lifting routine. So they're not 'only for advanced exercisers'. If you were to start stronglifts or starting strength tomorrow you'd be doing at least 1 of those lifts. A Honda Civic will get most people from where they are to where they want to go. Planet Fitness will not.

Planet fitness would kick me out in seconds. I still want to do my challenge there with my bros.

Honda civic can still get me to work and anywhere else I go.