Worst fitness plans ever!

Replies

• newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Wow, so according to most of you, basically everyone at planet fitness is there to eat pizza and "feel" like they're working out, without actually breaking a sweat.

It's just an inexpensive gym, with plenty of equipment, that suits a lot of people's needs. Why the hate?
    The majority of the people I see at my PF are not even overweight! Many are in extremely good shape, and there are plenty of pretty large dudes who lift there.

It's a great starting point for someone who is self conscious about even joining a gym. I had never joined one before, and was incredibly anxious about it. When I saw the lady at the register was my size, it made me feel much less intimidated and more at ease. What's wrong with that?

I see so many people there every day, busting their *kitten*. Yet you all make it out to be like they're lazy.

I agree that what was posted is not a good workout routine at all. Blame that on PF's marketing. That doesn't mean everyone who goes to this gym is a fool who would follow that garbage. Maybe they don't want to spend a fortune just to get a good workout.

well said!
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    KCoolBeanz wrote: »
    I can't believe I'm actually going to defend this (maybe because I haven't had any coffee and I'm feeling totally weak), but for someone that is totally sedentary and has never gone to the gym, it might be a gentle way to show that anything is better than nothing? In reality, it's crap.
    True but was that not taught when we were all kids at some point in life?

Not these days, they are taking PE out of a lot of schools, and people aren't forcing their kids to go outside.

That is ridiculous.

its true
  • LLduds
    LLduds Posts: 258 Member
    What is PF's rationale behind banning deadlifts?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    LLduds wrote: »
    Planet Fitness is a judgement free zone. No lunks allowed!

lunk_alarm.jpg

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Sorry for the doublepost but I couldn't resist...

2a79e743599ad6b46ca0d479e51b1772.jpg
  • ThatMouse
    ThatMouse Posts: 229 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Sorry for the doublepost but I couldn't resist...

2a79e743599ad6b46ca0d479e51b1772.jpg

Someone explain to me what the hell is going on in that, because all I see is a cop with a broom pointing at some dude's *kitten*, fast food bags and multiple bottles of some kind of soft drink. Extreme fast-food eating?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    Planet Fitness is a judgement free zone. No lunks allowed!

lunk_alarm.jpg

I guess you cannot wear
    $_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F
  • ShrinkingSloth
    ShrinkingSloth Posts: 26 Member
    newfutures wrote: »
    Wow, so according to most of you, basically everyone at planet fitness is there to eat pizza and "feel" like they're working out, without actually breaking a sweat.

It's just an inexpensive gym, with plenty of equipment, that suits a lot of people's needs. Why the hate?
    The majority of the people I see at my PF are not even overweight! Many are in extremely good shape, and there are plenty of pretty large dudes who lift there.

It's a great starting point for someone who is self conscious about even joining a gym. I had never joined one before, and was incredibly anxious about it. When I saw the lady at the register was my size, it made me feel much less intimidated and more at ease. What's wrong with that?

I see so many people there every day, busting their *kitten*. Yet you all make it out to be like they're lazy.

I agree that what was posted is not a good workout routine at all. Blame that on PF's marketing. That doesn't mean everyone who goes to this gym is a fool who would follow that garbage. Maybe they don't want to spend a fortune just to get a good workout.

well said!

Well said. This ends the thread.
  • ShrinkingSloth
    ShrinkingSloth Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2015
    newfutures wrote: »

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member

Well, all I can say is based off the tour I took and what the guy working at PF said in that time. The way he put it is: "we are a judgment free zone, so no body building or heavy weight lifting." They also don't have intense classes like zumba and yoga. Rationale? I don't know. I am glad some locations vary because it seems odd that they view zumba and yoga as intense classes since at my gym an old man takes part in Les Mills grit strength and zumba every week. They seem to follow a rationale that assumes the lifts are "intimidating" and that those who do the heavy lifts are "judgmental" based on what I've seen and some of the comments made.

Best part of gym tour besides the slight urge to one day own a purple treadmill? Seeing other people working out.
  • heytherejune
    heytherejune Posts: 7 Member
    There's a very interesting podcast on NPR that talks about how gyms are being designed to keep people out, but make them feel good at the same time.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/12/17/371463435/episode-590-the-planet-money-workout

After you listen to this podcast, their marketing start to make perfect sense.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    It's pretty much what DawnEmbers said. Deadlifting makes some people feel bad about themselves, so Planet Fitness says that people who deadlift are lunks and deserve to have an alarm sounded when they engage in such horrible behavior.

Of course, based on their signage, the same thing applies to anyone who carries a (gasp!) gallon jug of water. Or, if their TV commercials are any indication, any weightlifters, "hot" women, and Zumba instructors. For a so-called "judgment free zone," they are pretty judgmental.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    edited July 2015
    Um...is this like a challenge to add these things into your regularly scheduled workout? Like..."add 5 MORE squats! Do 15 MORE jumping jacks than yesterday!" Because I can see that...

But this isn't an exercise plan.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member

This is why, everybody doesn't want to hear it.

https://youtu.be/KMN1vLa1O1w
  • yopeeps025

Wow that was so funny.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member

I can't stand employee's swearing at patrons either. Distasteful and unprofessional IMHO.
  • yopeeps025
    RGv2 wrote: »

I can't stand employee's swearing at patrons either. Distasteful and unprofessional IMHO.

Coach had to pull him away before a TKO happened.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    edited July 2015
    I'm not really a fan, but it is cheap. This last winter was we got a ton of snow in New England. At one point the PF I go to had about 6-8 broken treadmills. One day I was leaving and heard a guy asking when they were going to be fixed. The response was, "not until spring when everyone takes their running back outside." I kind of suspected that was the case, but I didn't expect them to say it outright.
    I understand they are in business to make a profit, but to point blank say or even imply that we are using the equipment too much, is unprofessional.
  • yopeeps025
    I decided I will ask my friends, lets all go to Planet fitness and first one kick out for normal lifting wins. Also with tank tops too. I wanna see if they kick out my friend for being too lean and muscular right at the door.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    You know it would be nice to go to a gym where they actually enforce the rules!!