VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    kami3006 wrote: »
    The fact that they have banned deadlifts disqualifies them as a gym. imo

How do you ban deadlifts? Why? . . . . What kind of gym is this?

a place that got rid of squats racks. They only have smith machines now. Youtube lunk alarm at Planet fitness warning they are hilarious.

Why would they feel the need to ban them? I'm still confused on that. If it's somewhere in these 7 pages, I didn't read it lol.

Also - I just checked out their website for the first time as we don't have them in Canada . . . that I know of . . . and they have Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays . . . seriously? If you're going to give away free food (and we all love food) why not make it Veggies & Hummus Wednesday or Protein Smoothie Friday? Seriously, you will not have burned off the calories you're consuming with pizza and bagels with the original work outs posted.

I bet a lot of protein smoothies have far more calories than a slice of pizza....

It's funny how people on MFP always say there "Are no fattening foods, just eating too much of anything" but then the exact opposite is said in this thread. You'd think MFP wouldn't "mind" the pizza and bagel thing so much.

(Oh by the way, I'm not trying to single you out here, just that I read it a few times and yours was the most recent)
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

a place that got rid of squats racks. They only have smith machines now. Youtube lunk alarm at Planet fitness warning they are hilarious.

Why would they feel the need to ban them? I'm still confused on that. If it's somewhere in these 7 pages, I didn't read it lol.

Also - I just checked out their website for the first time as we don't have them in Canada . . . that I know of . . . and they have Pizza Mondays and Bagel Tuesdays . . . seriously? If you're going to give away free food (and we all love food) why not make it Veggies & Hummus Wednesday or Protein Smoothie Friday? Seriously, you will not have burned off the calories you're consuming with pizza and bagels with the original work outs posted.

I bet a lot of protein smoothies have far more calories than a slice of pizza....

It's funny how people on MFP always say there "Are no fattening foods, just eating too much of anything" but then the exact opposite is said in this thread. You'd think MFP wouldn't "mind" the pizza and bagel thing so much.

Looking for the like button again :)

• acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well technically yes, you can lose weight eating whatever as long as you are under your caloric needs (CICO) however for nutrition purposes, I find my body runs so much better and my work outs are so much better when my food serves nutrition purposes too (IE - complex vs simple carbs). For me (and this is JUST ME, not a blanket statement) the quality of the food I consume are just as important as the quantity.

And as far as calories of a smoothie . . . they can, it depends on what you put in them. The funny thing is though that many people (not everyone, again, but many) treat smoothies as a drink while many times they're meant to be a small meal/meal replacement. So again, it's nutritional value of the food.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    I will admit...I like to people watch. Helps me learn. So being a member of a gym is valuable to me. I also have a home gym, but need to do both. Why? I need the interaction at my local gym. For me that is the fun part about joining a gym. I actually will say hello and make conversation. Not too much though. I am there to get my workout in. :) I have a great low monthly gym, but super crowded. No worries about cardio machines, but free weights....its like the NYC subway. One important requirement I have for a gym is that it is clean and that they invest in new equipment. I am happy to say my gym is spotless and that every year they are buying new equipment. So I avoid the crowds by getting in the gym at 5am. What ever program you do...whether at home or at a gym...it is about dedication. Set goals, build a plan/program and dedicate yourself to it. In the end you will make yourself stronger both physically and mentally. Now go bang it out.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

(Oh by the way, I'm not trying to single you out here, just that I read it a few times and yours was the most recent)

I don't comment on the food in that place. I comment on the quality or lack of quality workout I could do there. Which for my goals my muscles might atrophy and I cannot jump rope. That's a problem for me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well technically yes, you can lose weight eating whatever as long as you are under your caloric needs (CICO) however for nutrition purposes, I find my body runs so much better and my work outs are so much better when my food serves nutrition purposes too (IE - complex vs simple carbs). For me (and this is JUST ME, not a blanket statement) the quality of the food I consume are just as important as the quantity.

And as far as calories of a smoothie . . . they can, it depends on what you put in them. The funny thing is though that many people (not everyone, again, but many) treat smoothies as a drink while many times they're meant to be a small meal/meal replacement. So again, it's nutritional value of the food.

I agree with you on your choices. I just wanted to remind people of what they say elsewhere on these forums :) And wouldn't the nutritional value of the pizza be dependent on the type of pizza? And if I'm training to run a marathon, the bagel is just what the doctor ordered, not the protein smoothie.

I'm standing up for pizza and bagels everywhere!

(I'm not a fan of that workout regimen from the beginning of this thread)
    (I should also add that my country doesn't have PF anyway... but it's fun to read about)
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This is a joke, yes?

(We don't have planet fitness in the UK)

Your obesity rate is not as high as USA either :wink:

No, but it's getting pretty close.

USA: 68.8 percent of adults are considered to be overweight or obese.

UK: 64% of adults are classed as being overweight or obese.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-25576400
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I don't lift, but I see people doing deadlifts and squats at the planet fatness I belong to. I also see people sitting on exercise equipment and reading the paper while eating pizza. For $10 a month the people watching is superb. And they let me use the treadmills and ellipticals in a weather controlled environment while I surreptitiously try to take pics with my phone of the funnier stuff going on there.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    @enterdanger Please befriend me. I want to see the funny pics. :)
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I've been going to PF for a couple months, it's right by my house and $10 a month. People leave me alone and let me do my own business - no snob stares. I've never seen pizza being served, people just sitting there, or anything like what you guys are talking about.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    When I was a kid my fathers gym had hot dogs with the fixins galore. And a full service alcohol bar. I always wondered why my father wanted to go to the gym. It was really nice. :)
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If the exercises listed in the OP or a membership to Planet Fitness gets someone up off the sofa and taking their first steps to making healthy positive changes to their lifestyle then I'm all for it.

We all started somewhere and for a LOT of people on MFP it wasn't in great shape. So for all the posts slamming this sort of thing you may want to stop looking down your noses and remember where you were and the condition you were in when you first started. Strong people don't tear others down, they build them up.

It really doesn't matter how someone starts improving their health and physical condition........as long as they start!

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I don't comment on the food in that place. I comment on the quality or lack of quality workout I could do there. Which for my goals my muscles might atrophy and I cannot jump rope. That's a problem for me.

Wait......wut now?
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options

If I don't get enough simple carbs, I can't exercise. :D Has to do with my muscle disorder. Cheap energy = good energy for me. I try to get at least 40 grams of protein a day, but I'll freaking FILL my carbs with simple sugars and go home whistling. If I'm too low in carbs, I'll be sleeping all the next day.

Personally, I'm fine with the food. 24h gym had the food, too. But it wasn't a SELLING POINT of the gym. It was a gym-rat bonding experience thing that they had. The regular goers actually decided what was served. (Oh, and in the new location, there is a shake bar and the rest. lol.)
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I will echo what many have already said. PF convenient and cheap. I have one half way between my home and work. I stop on my way to work (about 6am), never crowded, plenty of equipment. I work out, shower (Very Clean) and on my way. Who cares about their exercise plans, workers, etc. For me, I can't beat what they offer. I never heard the lunk alarm, seen anyway get berated for what they are or are not wearing. I never been there on a pizza night. I have been there when they offer bagels, I just eat my normal protein bar for breakfast. I will never understand the "hatred" for PF by so many on MFP.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    If the exercises listed in the OP or a membership to Planet Fitness gets someone up off the sofa and taking their first steps to making healthy positive changes to their lifestyle then I'm all for it.

We all started somewhere and for a LOT of people on MFP it wasn't in great shape. So for all the posts slamming this sort of thing you may want to stop looking down your noses and remember where you were and the condition you were in when you first started. Strong people don't tear others down, they build them up.

It really doesn't matter how someone starts improving their health and physical condition........as long as they start!

So spot on. Remember your humble beginnings because it will make you more great. Thank you for that. I actually do think about how I started every time I step into the gym. Then I see someone busting their hump at 5am in the gym and it motivates me even more. This is why I need a gym membership.

• sakibihabibi
    sakibihabibi Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness doesn't give a *kitten* about its members. It's all about the money and profits
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options

That argument would make at least some sense if these were being marketed as beginner routines. They're not, though.

And to reiterate what's been said earlier, even an absolute beginner should be able to do a lot more than what's in these routines. We all have to start somewhere, but these plans do nothing to challenge a newbie. In fact, they are bound to give beginners completely unrealistic expectations -- especially with all this talk of tanning and lying a massage chair.
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Planet fitness doesn't give a *kitten* about its members. It's all about the money and profits

All gyms are about money and profits or else they will go quickly out of business. Personally I don't care if they don't care about me, as long as there is good equipment at a cheap price.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I will echo what many have already said. PF convenient and cheap. I have one half way between my home and work. I stop on my way to work (about 6am), never crowded, plenty of equipment. I work out, shower (Very Clean) and on my way. Who cares about their exercise plans, workers, etc. For me, I can't beat what they offer. I never heard the lunk alarm, seen anyway get berated for what they are or are not wearing. I never been there on a pizza night. I have been there when they offer bagels, I just eat my normal protein bar for breakfast. I will never understand the "hatred" for PF by so many on MFP.

It's because their business model is to demine and caricaturize the fitness enthusiast while, in full hypocrisy, sell a judgment free zone all while judging those they don't want to utilize their gym through their commercials and the term lunk to describe those they don't want.

I thought it was pretty clear....meh.