Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in on the way to my stationary bike to update on my daily goals:
    - Laundry (DONE. Except ironing. I HATE IRONING. Tomorrow's goal? ;))
    - Housework (DONE. Yay for shiny house!)
    - 30-60 minutes of exercise (On my way! Planning for 65 minutes/300 calories.)
    - Climb the stairs (Done! 18 flights--9 down, 9 up.)
    - Take a walk (Done! Roughly 1.5 kilometers walked.)
    - Try to meet my calorie goal (Err... Still working on that one. 1000 calories to go? *sheepish grin*)
    - Drink 2 liters/~8 cups of water (Getting there. 5 cups/1.25 liters done so far.)

I'm doing pretty well today. :)

You did fantastic! And I would skip the ironing. Who cares about a few wrinkles!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Still trying to catch up, but totally want to share this (not sure I'd call it an NSV, but anyway...)

Last night my husband and I went to the gym. It was deadlift day for me and I had told him that I managed to knock out 225 pound deadlifts on my last deadlift day. So, I load up my deadlifts with 225 pounds and I notice that my husband is intently watching me. I knocked out my 225 pounds, five reps, totally nailed it. And my awesome husband literally gave me a standing ovation, in the middle of the gym! It seriously brought tears to my eyes. I <3 him!

That is so sweet! And great job on the deadlift!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    nonoelmo wrote: »
    Too many posts to reply to, so I'll blanket respond:

To all the negative stuff - That's terrible, I'm sorry, and things are/will be better!

To all the positive stuff - Great job! Weeeeeeeee!

Confession: I'm getting really tired of people giving me crap for "dieting" as though it somehow inconveniences THEM that I eat smaller portions if they make a calorie-heavy meal, or make "better" choices if we go out. This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary fix to drop a few pounds, peeps. I'm in this for the long haul, so getting in the habit of "cheating" because it makes them feel better isn't part of my game plan. Sorry, not sorry.

I have been gluten-free, egg-free and basically dairy-free for more than 20 years (long before it was known). I've been both given crap and had people bend over backwards to help. SO is great about it. When not with SO or at home I plan ahead and eat what is right for me to eat. I laugh right back at the people giving me crap. Yup, that's right, this is how I eat. Yes it is weird but I'm happy and healthy. :wink: For most people it is just a way to make noise and for the socially inept it is a way they try to contribute to the conversation. It has never bothered me. I hope you get to that point. Yup, that's the way it is....(Big smile.)

Some people are always weird about what other people eat, diet or not. Some of them are even dangerous. I have food allergies and some people just refuse to believe it and will try to sneak things I'm allergic to into my food to prove that it is all in my head. Yes, that time my throat closed up was all in my head and I definitely didn't need medical attention to breathe. Thank you so much for helping me out there buddy.

E.T.A. Caught a spelling mistake.

Who does stuff like that? And the scary thing is I've heard this story from two other people before.

That is so nuts. WHO would do that???
  • Oberon21
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    Seriously, who does something like that to their own child? And grandchild? That could have ruined not only my life, but my son's because who knows what would have happened to him. And, I can tell you guys with 100% certainty that this was her plan from the beginning. She gave me that money, and waited to make sure I used most of it, so I could not just give it back, with the plan of ruining my life.

Wow. That is just Machiavellian and unbelievably cruel.

Well, she was obviously quite sharp mentally to plot out that whole nasty, twisted scenario. :/

I'm sorry you endured that... but happy that the administrator figured things out before legal action was taken.

eta: It's no consolation, but my father was all set to ruin my future when I left their home at 17 -- figured I couldn't do any worse living on my own than with two alcoholics. The day I moved out, he threatened to take me to court and have me proved "mentally unfit" and returned to their home. Thankfully I realized that there wasn't a shred of evidence that would support his case... I was an honour student, worked part-time, never a brush with the law... so I figured he was bluffing (and he was).

I am sorry that happened to you. At 17 my parents would have held the door open for me and said see you later! My dad was a functional alcoholic who was scary every night after he had a few. To this day I withdraw when men get angry mentally and physically. I can't handle it at all. And I loved my dad to death. When sober.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    For those in the US and the Brits celebrating the 4th along with us what are your weekend plans?

I am going to my mom's in Long Island and getting 2 long rides in to Montauk on my bike and at least one swim. My sister and her husband are visiting from Seattle too. I may cook Saturday if I can fit it in. Back at barn to work Sunday. Anyone have any fun things planned?

I'm doing a "Freedom 44 (Mile) Bike Ride" tomorrow morning. I'm sure we'll find some fireworks somewhere and probably have some kind of cookout with burgers, etc. on Saturday.

Nice! Enjoy!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    Okay, it arrived. I admit I ordered the small thinking that was appropriate for women...its a tad bit tiny (only in 2nd hole) but thinking that is a good reminder to keep weight off! Losing weight in my wrists was definitely a plus. I love seeing my wrist bones. :)

Charging now.

I believe that while you are exercising you are suppose to wear it half way up your forearm to get an accurate HR and calorie burn.

That is why I could not get one, the L fit my wrist, but would not fit my forearm.

Mine doesn't fit very far up on my arm, but it seems to take fairly accurate measurements even just above my wrist bone.

Mine ended up having to be on last hole to be comfortable. But at latest count it is doubling the steps of my gear. I am not sure why and having read back enough yet to see if anyone explained it to me but I am not trusting it yet.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Kalici wrote: »
    I added extra water to my protein shake to make it last longer. It's gross. I won't be doing that again.

I find most protein shakes gross when they're mixed with water. I'd rather sacrifice calories on milk and make it more palatable! I would even add crushed ice and blend it sometimes to make it a bit more "shake-like" ;)

I am apparently weird because I actually like the protein shakes with just water. When I first started I mixed it with my yogurt and had to gag it down. It was disgusting. Now I just weigh it out in my measuring cup and use a whisk to mix it. So lazy, but it tastes good to me! :)

I prefer them with water too (after trying milk, juice, yogurt, coffee...) but it turns out I prefer them most when I don't have them at all, haha. I started buying Quest bars instead, which are pretty much just a protein shake in solid form, and taste way better to me. Less cleanup of all that gross powder remnant too.

I usually do mine with one glass of low fat almond milk and one of water and frozen fruit. Really enjoy it. I had to choke the one from this am down. I do not like it with that much water.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    FroggyBug wrote: »
    For those in the US and the Brits celebrating the 4th along with us what are your weekend plans?

I am going to my mom's in Long Island and getting 2 long rides in to Montauk on my bike and at least one swim. My sister and her husband are visiting from Seattle too. I may cook Saturday if I can fit it in. Back at barn to work Sunday. Anyone have any fun things planned?

LOVE Montauk. My friends and I used to go all the time; just drive out for the day so we could eat lobster rolls and walk around.

I thought this earlier but wanted to comment on it. Every time I see the word Montauk I always think of that Montauk monster picture that went around years ago (that weird thing they found dead on the beach).

I have no idea what this is. I will need to look it up!Montauk is great except for the tourist and New Yorkers in for the weekend. Grrrr....
  • Oberon21
    Options
    Too tired to post today. My ex decided at 1:43 AM that would be a good idea to start texting me drunken garbage.

I would keep all those texts...in case you need them in the future. Sorry he's so difficult! Has he always been like this? Didn't you say you've been sober for quite awhile?

Yep I forward then all to my e-mail. This has been going on for nearly 3 years now and to be honest it gets very tiresome. For the most part I have learned to ignore it and not fan the flames but some days it is really really tough. He has been diagnosed with depression and as being bi-polar so I try to cut him some slack but I just wonder if I am going to have to live with this for the rest of my life. That thought makes me want to just sit down and cry!

Maybe he will eventually meet someone else and leave you alone. I am glad you have your wonderful son but it's got to be doubly hard as you can't just block the nut out of your life because of him.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    I added extra water to my protein shake to make it last longer. It's gross. I won't be doing that again.

I find most protein shakes gross when they're mixed with water. I'd rather sacrifice calories on milk and make it more palatable! I would even add crushed ice and blend it sometimes to make it a bit more "shake-like" ;)

Yep! I did thus too before I stated adding the frozen fruit. It's just gross with just water.
  • Oberon21
    Options

LOVE Montauk. My friends and I used to go all the time; just drive out for the day so we could eat lobster rolls and walk around.

My mom is in East Hampton do I go out a lot! :) I just hate all the New Yorkers who "want to get away" then bring their big city bad manners out with them.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    So, I'm 900 posts behind and too busy at work right now to every catch back up. :p Just wanted to stop by and say I'm still alive. Hope everyone is doing well and having a terrific summer!

Welcome back!
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around. My relationship with my boyfriend imploded spectacularly on Wednesday night.

I'm heading up to Glasgow today, ready for the mountain tomorrow night. There will be video and pics which I will share, but I'm unlikely to keep up with the thread until next week.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend, particularly my American friends. Enjoy that independence we gave you ;)

• Oberon21
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been around. My relationship with my boyfriend imploded spectacularly on Wednesday night.

I'm heading up to Glasgow today, ready for the mountain tomorrow night. There will be video and pics which I will share, but I'm unlikely to keep up with the thread until next week.

I hope everyone has a lovely weekend, particularly my American friends. Enjoy that independence we gave you ;)

Oh no! So is he doing the mountain with you? Did you work it out? ??

And 'gave' right (snorts)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Oh no! So is he doing the mountain with you? Did you work it out? ??

And 'gave' right (snorts)

He is still climbing, together remains to be seen. We're still talking, but a long way from fixed.

• BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    bkhamill wrote: »
    All this talk of sexual assault makes me wonder how many women have suffered this.

@bkhamill and well, everyone really, here are some statistics regarding sexual assault:

About Victims
    •44% of victims are under age 18
    •80% are under age 30

Breakdown by Gender and Age

Women
    1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape).

17.7 million American women have been victims of attempted or completed rape.

9 of every 10 rape victims were female in 2003.

Lifetime rate of rape /attempted rape for women by race:
    •All women: 17.6%
    •White women: 17.7%
    •Black women: 18.8%
    •Asian Pacific Islander women: 6.8%
    •American Indian/Alaskan women: 34.1%
    •Mixed race women: 24.4%

Men
    About 3% of American men — or 1 in 33 — have experienced an attempted or completed rape in their lifetime.

•From 1995-2010, 9% of rape and sexual assault victims were male.
    •2.78 million men in the U.S. have been victims of sexual assault or rape.

Reporting to Police
    •68% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police
    •98% of rapists will never spend a day in jail

About Rapists
    •Approximately 4/5 of assaults are committed by someone known to the victim
    •47% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance

Effects of Rape
    Victims of sexual assault are:
    3 times more likely to suffer from depression.

6 times more likely to suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder.

13 times more likely to abuse alcohol.

26 times more likely to abuse drugs.

4 times more likely to contemplate suicide.

Victims of sexual assault are also 33% more likely to be the victim of another sexual assault.

Sexual Assault Numbers

There is an average of 293,066 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.

Every 107 seconds, another American is sexually assaulted.
    Here's the math. According to the U.S. Department of Justice's National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS)--there is an average of 293,066 victims (age 12 or older) of rape and sexual assault each year.

There are 525,600 minutes in a non-leap year. That makes 31,536,000 seconds/year. So, 31,536,000 divided by 293,066 comes out to 1 sexual assault every 107 seconds.

When do sexual assaults occur?
    According to the U.S. Department of Justice's NCVS study, rates of sexual assault (meaning, the number of victims per 1,000 people age 12 or older) fluctuate depending, in part, on the time of year. Summer has the highest rates of rape and sexual assault, while winter and fall the lowest. From 1993-2010, rape and sexual assault rates were on average 10% lower in the fall than the summer, 9% lower on average in the winter, and 6% lower on average in the spring.

Thanks to all you ladies for sharing your stories. Remember we are not victims, we are survivors. There is a difference.

Now back to catching up....
  • Oberon21
    Options
    @ Italian_Buju I am so sorry about your mess with your mother and how horrible she was. I never understand why some people have children. Just come remembering she was the horrible one and you emerged from that mess and have control of your own life and have not been defined by it.
  • Oberon21
    Options
    All just swamped so just wanted to provide my update...

Yesterdays goals were basically all failures. My new fitbit made 10K but my regular tracker only had me at 9,087 (I trust that one more).
    I didn't get the run in
    I didn't get to studying
    I ate late and had 2 glasses of wine

So.... ticked at myself for poor performance.

Today is a shorter list as I had to get up early to clean for the cleaning people so no time to exercise so...
    1. Clean house for cleaning people (this is kind of a cheat since I did it already)
    2. Pay bills (check)
    3. Focus on catching up on some things at work (so not paying attention to MFP and accepting I will have to catch up tomorrow!). I am not paying enough attention to all the little stuff I have to do for work! So need to get back to being on top of my game.
    4. 10K steps on old pedometer/25,000 on the Fitbit (the Fitbit seems to be 2 1/2 the number of steps that my Gear tracks so I am going with this plan as I have been trying to get 10K on the old one all during my weight loss)

So that is my update for today, and my goals. I may catch up tonight.

Have a great day everyone!

Patricia

Okay, status...
    Got house cleaned (by me and cleaning folks) check
    Paid bills check
    Caught up with stuff on work, not entirely, but resisted spending day on MFP and just kept plugging away... check
    Got my 10K in (10K on gear, 19.5 on fitbit...by end of day it ended up double steps on fitbit to gear....going to continue to explore this strange phenomenon of the differing pedometers, going to keep going by gear as its lower and its how I lost all my weight so far... I am not trusting fitbit yet).

Sooo today:

Drive to
    1. my mom's (I need to get going!)
    2. Run 4-6 miles
    3. Bike to Montauk (as long as rain holds)
    4. Spend 1 hour on dissertation
    5. Try to not drink TOO much with sister at my Mom's (heavy drinker... and no way am I saying I am not drinking knowing she is there... I will need wine... family is a serious source of stress)
    6. 10K steps on
    gear minimum/20K on fitbit

Have a great day all!
  • Oberon21
    Options
    And lastly for my CMM fellow participants, I tried to register, but its too early, I put my email in for a reminder when its available... get running!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Good luck @orangesmartie you've got this!!!