21 day Sugar Detox?

Options
Bree_Travels
Bree_Travels Posts: 14 Member
starting a sugar detox on Monday and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for recipes?

Thanks!
-Aubrey

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Probably not gonna find much support for this here...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, but maybe anything without sugar? Intrinsic sugars are in dairy, fruit, and veggies, as well as some starches like plantains and sweet potatoes, and I personally would not cut those out even for 21 days (especially not veggies, although it's also right in the middle of the best fruit season where I live).

If you are just "detoxing" (again, not the correct word) from added sugars, stuff without added sugar? I don't actually add sugar to most savory dishes or any beverages, so that seems pretty simple. Some store-bought marinades and dressings and such (and ketchup, obviously) would have sugar, so read labels or use more homemade stuff.

I don't see the benefit, but go for it if you want to.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Since when was sugar a toxin? Seems I've been eating toxins all my life then.

Your liver, kidneys and skin detox your body from any harmful chemikillz or anything harmful.

OP just opened a can of worms.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    OP, you do not need to "detox" from sugar, however if you are looking to reduce the amount of added sugar or overall sugar in your diet, you might try checking out low carb recipes. The very nature of that WOE (way of eating) reduces or eliminates foods which tend to have added sugars, and the foods you eat that do have sugar tend to be fruits and vegetables, which naturally contain sugars but also have a decent amount of fiber, which help you feel full and may prevent the overeating/binging effect that a lot of people experience with hyper-palatable foods that contain high amounts of sugar and fat.
  • acmiranda7
    acmiranda7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sugar is poison to our bodies! Fructose from fruits is digested slowly and our bodies need this kind of sweets. White cane sugar and flour anything turns to sugar and then fat. I've eliminated all sugars and grains for 30 days and I eat veggies nuts plain European full fat yogurt, meat and fruits. I'm down 10 lbs
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Umm no . Sugar isnt a toxin so why would you need to detox from it ?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    acmiranda7 wrote: »
    Sugar is poison to our bodies! Fructose from fruits is digested slowly and our bodies need this kind of sweets. White cane sugar and flour anything turns to sugar and then fat. I've eliminated all sugars and grains for 30 days and I eat veggies nuts plain European full fat yogurt, meat and fruits. I'm down 10 lbs

so you eat no fruit, vegetables, bread, etc, because poison?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - what gave you this idea?

the only reason to avoid sugar is if you have a medical condition. Other than that, sugar can be enjoyed in moderation and it will not make you fat, sick, a devil from another dimension, etc….
  • ndj1979
    Options

news flash …yogurt and fruit contain sugar.

you lost weight because you replace calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods ….CICO
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

The only thing that turns into fat is excess calories regardless where they come from.

You lost weight because you cut out foods and created a calorie deficit. The deficit is why you lost the weight, not the cutting of sugar.

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

You lost weight because you ate at a calorie deficit. It comes down to cico not because you eliminated grains and cane sugar.
    There's many newcomers here who lurk these boards but are too afraid to post. Spreading information like this isnt a good idea because a newcomer might actually believe it and think they need to eliminate these things in order to lose weight.
    I lost all my weight while enjoying the foods i love in moderation. Portion control. It comes down to overall calories not eliminating foods
  • mskezh
    mskezh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @yetispaghetti I understood what you are asking, but asking that question on this website, will not get you the information you are looking for too many smart mouth people up here. try allrecipes.com
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    mskezh wrote: »
    @yetispaghetti I understood what you are asking, but asking that question on this website, will not get you the information you are looking for too many smart mouth people up here. try allrecipes.com

Good response! Why all the judging people?
  • Azexas
    Options
    Interesting, who exactly is judging?
  • esmesqualor
    esmesqualor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I just meant that she was asking for recipes not opinions on her choice to eliminate sugar. And, she obviously means processed sugar, not whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc...
  • Azexas
    edited July 2015
    Options

I just meant that she was asking for recipes not opinions on her choice to eliminate sugar. And, she obviously means processed sugar, not whole grains, veggies, fruits, etc...

So no one is actually judging. Got it.

For the record, people are trying to stop the misinformation being presented. Maybe not for the OP, but for the lurkers that come into read these threads. Sugar isn't a toxin, therefore a "detox" isn't necessary.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Not true at all (although I asked).

Most so-called detoxes go beyond just cutting (or cutting out) added sugar, because that's trivially easy to do (I've done it from time to time). For example, one of the more common ones is the Diane Sanfillipo one, and it wants you to pay money to be told what foods to eat and not eat (and I'm certain that fruits, or most fruits, are on the don't eat list, along with various other foods that don't actually contain added sugar):
    The 21-Day Sugar Detox is a proven, whole-foods based program designed to help you bust sugar and carb cravings. The program includes a complete outline of included foods and foods that will be eliminated for the three weeks (Yes/No Foods Lists), as well as a library of resources, information, recipes, and more to help you along the way. The 21DSD includes three different levels, so that you can ease in to a new way of eating depending on how you currently eat. Every level is effective, and it is not required that you complete the program at the highest level (3) in order to see and feel the amazing results and benefits of the program.

And it is stuff like this that explain why OP is getting the kinds of reactions that she is.

For many people of course cutting down on sweets is a good idea and cutting them out for a bit might be helpful depending on your issues.
  • NeeruamRuee
    NeeruamRuee Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Thank you! I did the same for a month as well and lost 5 pounds and everyone around me noticed it. Sugar is a POISON to our bodies.
  • 3438nancy
    3438nancy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be very addictive . Did anyone read Sugar Blues ? A Senator once try to declare it a drug in court but the Coca Cola Company put the kabosh on it. Sometimes I have to go cold turkey to break the cycle so I get it.
    Everything in moderation though, people have very different individual needs For me, I can eat sweets once in a while but Im taking a risk that I may binge