Eating Fruit

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2015
    Options
    4Deepak wrote: »
    Interesting to note that the sugars, both fruit and beet/cane, are the same! Did not know.
    Sugar is the same but with fruit we get fiber and other micro. Most added beet/cane sugar is stripped of these and hit the blood stream all at once; where sugar in it's natural plant form is metabolized more gradually and accompanied by more nutrition.

One thing to consider, most people don't eat foods in isolation, which is why the GI index is crap. If I eat a large salad but have some chocolate after, then the fiber will slow the absorption of the sugar. On the other hand, if I am working to add muscle, eating fasting acting sugars post workout can be very beneficial. So it's all contextual. Either way, if your calories are the same, weight loss will be the same.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Interesting to note that the sugars, both fruit and beet/cane, are the same! Did not know.
    Sugar is the same but with fruit we get fiber and other micro. Most added beet/cane sugar is stripped of these and hit the blood stream all at once; where sugar in it's natural plant form is metabolized more gradually and accompanied by more nutrition.

But no one eats sugar on its own. I suppose some eat candies and sugary drinks on their own, but that's only a subset of the ways in which added sugar is used. (Personally, I prefer not to drink calories, and most sweet things I like also have fat--in fact, for most of us a lot of the calories that get attributed to "sweets" are really from fat, like butter or cream, not sugar.)

To use an example I like, there's no meaningful difference between some rhubarb sauce with added cane sugar and an apple sauce made with just apples. (And like fiber, protein and fat tend to slow how fast the body reacts to the sugar.)

This is also why people make WAY too much of the GI/GL stuff. [Edit: oh, I see psulemon beat me to it!]

Also, there are benefits to getting quick energy and insulin spikes, both when doing cardio and when trying to build muscle. (Regular exercise also tends to make people more insulin sensitive.)

Everything is context.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Good for weight loss or not? Especially those that have high sugar content. Comments/Suggestions very welcome

Good - even the ones with the higher sugar content.

This is not only because they come jammed pack with nutrients and other good stuff like anti-oxidants but also they help keep you full (satiety). If you have two items both of which have the same calorie content but one helps keep you fuller which one do you think has less likelihood of making you over eat, all things being held equal?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I just bought blueberries for 1.29 and strawberries for 1.49 per lb. I say that's good!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Fruit can help with weight loss if you want something sweet and replace a higher calorie food with fruit, for example Kit Kats versus strawberries:

2779955636b9ccc2461b64fc01ca5a13.png
  • Life0fbrian
    Life0fbrian Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fruit is good for you, bananas are high in sugar so just eat them in moderation or before/after working out. there is a time and place for everything but for the most part fruit is great and should be eaten unless your dr tells you not to because of a health condition.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    If your calorie deficit doesn't allow enough calories to be eating fruit each day then it's way too restrictive for you. Get it down you, it's full of essential vitamins and fibre and natural sugars are fine in moderation. Don't demonise fruit!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    My only thing about fruit and eating at a deficit is that sometimes it leaves me hungrier after I've finished than I was before I ate it. This only happens with some fruits, namely apples and pears. I've heard from other "MFP veterans" that they experience the same phenomenon. Not sure what it is...

For this reason, I stick to bananas if I'm hungry. If I'm just looking for a snack though, fruit's an awesome sweet treat in any form. And it will give you a lot of nutrition for its calorie count, too. I also grew up in a family full of diabetics who regularly ate all sorts of fruits and stayed within their normal BG levels, so I really don't think the sugar content is an issue.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Not diabetic. Just that most fruit has high calories.

Have you met strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, watermelon ...............
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Everything is context.

Absolutely. But people (teenagers) in my house, eat candy and full sugared soda's, more than I would wish for them.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

Have you met strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, pineapple, watermelon ...............

Whoa - didn't see that reply. I'm not sure what your calorie allotment is, but if fruit has too many calories for you, you might be too low.

I ate a very large peach (I forget the grams, but they're in season right now, so this thing was a monster), it was only 97 calories and sated my fruit cravings for at least a day or two.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I eat all the fruit.

Pretty much anything I would eat in place of fruit, has more calories than the fruit does.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is good for you. It's good for me and my weight loss. I eat a LOT of fruit and have lost a lot of weight.

Fruits and veggies are, for the most part, low in calories. They give us good things our bodies need. Tummies stay full when fruits and veggies enter. We can get our fiber from fruits and veggies.

They just have all kinds of wonderful ness going on.

Fruits are so yummy, too. When I'm eating a bowl of berries, it's hard to say, "Gee, I wish I could eat candy" - because Please. The candy can't compare. The berries are better.

There is so much you can do with fruit. So freaking much.

I heart fruit. It's good for my weight loss.

...and if you're not eating fruit, what are you eating that's low in calories and giving you anything good? Just veggies?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

Nonsense. How can the body tell the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar form sugarcane or other plants, which is chemically the same, and how can the body store sugar if doesn't process it?

Broscience. How I wish it would stop :s
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I cant be arsed eating fruit. I just take a multi Vitamin and cross my fingers.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Uh… No, it doesn't.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @slideaway1, I suggest chasing that multivitamin down with a Metamucil chaser. Just so you don't miss out on all the beauty of fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Everything is context.

Absolutely. But people (teenagers) in my house, eat candy and full sugared soda's, more than I would wish for them.

Oh, I see. I agree that moderation with such things is necessary and that fruit can be a good alternative to other sweet foods.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Marillian wrote: »
    fruit has natural sugar, which your body will process and not store it like refined/processed sugar.

Nonsense. How can the body tell the difference between sugar from fruit and sugar form sugarcane or other plants, which is chemically the same, and how can the body store sugar if doesn't process it?

Broscience. How I wish it would stop :s

It always reminds me of how the mother of my best friend in jr high insisted that calories from cheese went right to the butt (which she considered a bad thing, it was the '80s).