Replies

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    organic is lame

the fact that this thread is still going is lame

get a room you two

9AE55740-4D81-49B5-976D-01B4192A18D1-34487-00000C748A3F0D71_1.1.2.mp4.jpg?versionId=4updxTe8arBRwMNfySw0ucIhBpLoy.C_
    LOL, you looking for that free testosterone boosting argument?
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    And I don't recall claiming hyperbole was banned. It is a bad use of technical term that actually has a meaning. Two species dropping in numbers, without actually going extinct, isn't even the cusp of a mass extinction event. In extinction events, things go extinct.

Fifty nine insect species are known to have vanished in our modern time (IUCN 2007), however, thousands are estimated to have disappeared. In the United States, 160 insect species are presumed to be extinct or missing.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    organic is lame

get a room you two

9AE55740-4D81-49B5-976D-01B4192A18D1-34487-00000C748A3F0D71_1.1.2.mp4.jpg?versionId=4updxTe8arBRwMNfySw0ucIhBpLoy.C_

my real question is, are those testosterone boosts multiplicative or additive

so we have the arguing

the superman pose

doing squats

I'm probably missing a few things

how many testosteronez will I gain
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, we do seem to be in the beginning of mass-extinction event, one probably largely having to do with carbon footprints - which interestingly is something conventional tends to do well at reducing.

I'm not seeing it. We're still discovering more new species every year than we're seeing go extinct, nothing I've seen suggests we're on the cusp of some kind of global wipeout.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »
    And I don't recall claiming hyperbole was banned. It is a bad use of technical term that actually has a meaning. Two species dropping in numbers, without actually going extinct, isn't even the cusp of a mass extinction event. In extinction events, things go extinct.

Fifty nine insect species are known to have vanished in our modern time (IUCN 2007), however, thousands are estimated to have disappeared. In the United States, 160 insect species are presumed to be extinct or missing.

There are somewhere around 10 million known species of life on this planet. "160" doesn't even qualify as noise.
  • ScreeField
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    There are somewhere around 10 million known species of life on this planet. "160" doesn't even qualify as noise.

Yes, 160 would be noise, especially if you count all "species of life" on this planet. 10 million refers to all life on earth, not just insects. And, of that 10 million, we've identified just 10%. A fraction of that 10% is identified insect life.

It's estimated that there are approximately 91,000 identified species of insects in the US and 73,000 unidentified species (Smithsonian). The 160 (plus another 59) refers to known and identified species, in the US, which have become or presumably become extinct. One study suggests 16,000 at-risk for extinction in the US.

If you read the quote more carefully, it stated: thousands [of species of insects] are estimated to have disappeared. So, although we've documented only 160 + 59, it's estimated thousands of undocumented/unidentified insects have become extinct in recent years. So, thousands extinct in comparison to a few hundred thousands.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Even thousands is in the noise.

Sorry.
  • senecarr
    Options
    organic is lame

get a room you two

my real question is, are those testosterone boosts multiplicative or additive

so we have the arguing

the superman pose

doing squats

I'm probably missing a few things

how many testosteronez will I gain
    Additive, you stack the test.
  • ScreeField
    Options
    Even thousands is in the noise.

Sorry.

10% is noise? Weird.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Yes, 160 would be noise, especially if you count all "species of life" on this planet. 10 million refers to all life on earth, not just insects. And, of that 10 million, we've identified just 10%. A fraction of that 10% is identified insect life.

It's estimated that there are approximately 91,000 identified species of insects in the US and 73,000 unidentified species (Smithsonian). The 160 (plus another 59) refers to known and identified species, in the US, which have become or presumably become extinct. One study suggests 16,000 at-risk for extinction in the US.

If you read the quote more carefully, it stated: thousands [of species of insects] are estimated to have disappeared. So, although we've documented only 160 + 59, it's estimated thousands of undocumented/unidentified insects have become extinct in recent years. So, thousands extinct in comparison to a few hundred thousands.

http://www.currentresults.com/Environment-Facts/Plants-Animals/number-species.php

"The greatest species diversity exists among insects, which account for about one million of the earth's species known to science. Mammals make up one of the smallest groups, with just 5,513 members."
  • ScreeField
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, as I mentioned:

10 million refers to all life on earth, not just insects. And, of that 10 million, we've identified just 10%. A fraction of that 10% is identified insect life.

Total Life on the Planet (Identified vs Estimate of Unidentified):
    10 million total estimated x 0.10 (10%) = 1 million identified species (or "accounted for" per your quote)

Total Identified Insects on the Planet:
    some value less than 1 million (aka: a fraction of 1 million) = total identified insects on the planet

However, this is the second time now that total life on earth is being confused with number of insects in the US.

It's estimated that there are approximately 91,000 identified species of insects in the US and 73,000 unidentified species (Smithsonian). One study suggests 16,000 at-risk for extinction in the US.

Total insects in US:
    91,000 + 73,000 = 164,000

Total % of Insects at-risk in the US:
    16,000 / 164,000 = 9.76%
  • senecarr
    Options
    Yes, as I mentioned:

10 million refers to all life on earth, not just insects. And, of that 10 million, we've identified just 10%. A fraction of that 10% is identified insect life.

Total Life on the Planet (Identified vs Estimate of Unidentified):
    10 million total estimated x 0.10 (10%) = 1 million identified species (or "accounted for" per your quote)

Total Identified Insects on the Planet:
    some value less than 1 million (aka: a fraction of 1 million) = total identified insects on the planet

However, this is the second time now that total life on earth is being confused with number of insects in the US.

It's estimated that there are approximately 91,000 identified species of insects in the US and 73,000 unidentified species (Smithsonian). One study suggests 16,000 at-risk for extinction in the US.

Total insects in US:

16,000 / 164,000 = 9.76%

So you're assuming that the number of insect species that are going insect within the number of insect species we've identified is representative of the whole of insect species going extinct? The problem with that is, one reason we identify and label insect species is we're interested in them because they appear to be in decline.
    What's more, even if accurate, what is the replacement rate? We might be losing insect species, but the net might be a gain (I'm honestly doubtful of that, but not willing to assume). What is the historical estimate of the turn over rate for insects before humans or human civilization, if we're worried this is human caused?
  • ScreeField
    edited June 2015
    Options

Total insects in US:

16,000 / 164,000 = 9.76%

10% of the total insects in the United States are at risk for extinction. This does not include those already extinct in modern history (estimated to be in the thousands). This does not include any estimate for total world populations or declines. This is US only. This is both identified and as-yet unidentified. The confusion seems to come from commenters' who muddy the calculation with an estimated value for the "total life on earth" which is outside the scope.

Although, a comparison of US rates of decline vs rates in countries without pesticide use would be quite interesting.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Total insects in US:

16,000 / 164,000 = 9.76%

10% of the total insects in the United States are at risk for extinction. This does not include those already extinct in modern history (estimated to be in the thousands). This does not include any estimate for total world populations or declines. This is US only. This is both identified and as-yet unidentified. The confusion seems to come from commenters' who muddy the calculation with an estimated value for the "total life on earth" which is outside the scope.

Although, a comparison of US rates of decline vs rates in countries without pesticide use would be quite interesting.

So it's completely irrelevant to anything. There's no wild polar bears in the US, doesn't mean polar bears don't exist anymore.
  • senecarr
    Options
    I think it is worth remembering this was brought up as a reply to the fact that 2 species having a decline in numbers is a mass extinction.
    This is eristic arguing at its highest.
  • ScreeField
    Options
    I think it is worth remembering this was brought up as a reply to the fact that 2 species having a decline in numbers is a mass extinction.
    This is eristic arguing at its highest.

I provided 2 examples based on commonly known and documented information. Both examples directly link pesticide use (herbicide and insecticide) to the decline in insects. One of which (honeybee) is vital for pollination of specific crops. The other, Monarch Butterfly, is a commonly known insect. I then demonstrated a 10% decline in the total estimated population of insects in the US. Findings greater than 5% are a generally accepted starting point to measure statistical significance. The decline in total insects, and the individual bee decline and the Monarch decline all meet this criteria.

My logic is sound and well-supported and there is no flaw in foundation or assumptions.

The US is experiencing a decline in insects.

Honeybee colony collapse is known and documented.

Monarch Butterfly numbers are down by a known and documented amount.

Other butterfly species are down as well, known and documented.

The bee collapse in the US is directly linked to pesticide use.

An effective insecticide kills insects.

An effective herbicide kills insect habitat and food supply ("weeds" aka native plants).

The US consumes roughly 40% of the total world insecticide and herbicide market.

And, you agree that we seem to be in the beginning of a “mass-extinction” event:
    Interestingly, we do seem to be in the beginning of mass-extinction event, one probably largely having to do with carbon footprints

However, suggesting "carbon footprints”, an arbitrary calculation created to allocate greenhouse gas emission, is the cause of insect decline, not insecticide use (for which sole purpose is to kill insects) is like saying: I'm fat because of this algebraic formula, not because I eat too much.

Insecticides kill insects. Mathematical formulas do not.

(With this, I will make my exit from this thread. Thanks for the discussion, laughs, and entertainment. It's been great, but I'm wasting too much life.)
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    warnock83 wrote: »
    In the area that I live there is a huge community of clean eating/organic eating. Do you think that eating organic is important?

I think eating whole foods (plants and vegetables) is important. It is my preference to support organic farmers and hope to put more of my food dollars to local growers -- especially growers that use techniques that keep soil alive, the workers safe, and have minimal (negative) environmental impact.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    flg4q2mzrhhg.jpg
    I used to work on an organic farm. They were held to very high standards and NEVER used pesticides. You know how we got rid of these guys? Hand picked them off the plants and squished them!

... Squish them? :,(
  • skylarLorenzo
    skylarLorenzo Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am new here, but just reading briefly over this, I wanted to say that I have noticed when my household eats organic beef (which is not often, we are not big into red meat), however when organic we only need one hamburger patty to feel full (same weight etc of non organic). When we eat non organic beef we always want 2 or 3 pattys. I have also noticed this with ground turkey meat in place of red meat, Same exact if natural and esp if organic we only need one patty verse non organic we need 2 or 3 to feel full. For me that alone speaks to way we in this house only buy organic meats.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I am new here, but just reading briefly over this, I wanted to say that I have noticed when my household eats organic beef (which is not often, we are not big into red meat), however when organic we only need one hamburger patty to feel full (same weight etc of non organic). When we eat non organic beef we always want 2 or 3 pattys. I have also noticed this with ground turkey meat in place of red meat, Same exact if natural and esp if organic we only need one patty verse non organic we need 2 or 3 to feel full. For me that alone speaks to way we in this house only buy organic meats.

that makes absolutely no sense and has nothing to do with organic food