doctor suggested low carb diet

Replies

• ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    I just started a "low carb diet" and I use that term loosely. I did it because my doctor suggested it as well. I am currently on day 8 and I love it. I feel so much better. I know I am missing some key nutrients and I am currently researching how to make sure I'm staying healthy and getting what my body needs. I don't want this to be temporary, as I am making a lifestyle change. I don't need pasta, bread, sodas, fruit juices every single day. It will take some adjusting and you definitely need to do your research and maybe work with a dietician. I wish you the best of luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    pf1975_NW wrote: »
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul

no, they don't.

do you have a peer reviewed study to back up that claim?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    I eat whatever and whenever I want and steadily lose weight because I weigh my foods and stay honest about how much I am eating. Use MFP, log ACCURATELY, exercise regularly and trust the process. It will work!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    dmb0011 wrote: »
    carbs and fats just dont seem to mix well for weight loss, I've lost 20kg on high carb/ low fat, and i know people wh've lost weight on low carb high fat, whatever works the ebst fro you

What on Earth???????
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs from your diet.

• ndj1979
    yarwell wrote: »
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337

sample of ten...?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    carbs and fats just dont seem to mix well for weight loss, I've lost 20kg on high carb/ low fat, and i know people wh've lost weight on low carb high fat, whatever works the ebst fro you

What on Earth???????

He's kind of right. Probably by accident. The alternative is high-carb, high-fat - which means very low protein. And that's pretty much universally recognized as the worst possible way to maintain diet adherence, for most people, not to mention it wreaks havoc on body composition.
  • ndj1979
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs calories from your diet.

fixed it for you
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.

Well, that issue could be caused by a lack of fat and fiber (as well as fluids) in your current diet so reducing simple carbs and adding more protein and veggies (as well as healthy fats like nuts and nut butters) can help deal with back ups.

There is a big difference between reducing carbs and going low carb. It is not an all or nothing thing. Try reducing simple carbs (sugars, unless they have fiber with them like in fruit) and substitute whole grains for refined grains. See how that affects your hunger.

I agree that you should see your PCP and arrange for a referral to a Registered Dietician who can help you figure out an appropriate level of all 3 macros for you.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.

Doctors need to be more specific as to why they want you to do certain things. My guess is she wants you to eat more fiber...you can get lots of fiber from fruits and veggies. (this will have the added benefit of filling you up more.) Also, the more processed something is, the harder it is for me to go too. As I get older, going at least once a day has become hugely important. lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015

???????????????????

There is nothing wrong with balancing them out. I eat 35% carbs and 30% fat (along with 35% protein) and they mix just fine for weight loss.
    58841349.png
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    pf1975_NW wrote: »
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul

Please avoid all carbs = drugs arguments, they aren't productive. Thanks.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

???????????????????

There is nothing wron with balancing them out. I eat 35% carbs and 30% fat (along with 35% protein) and they mix just fine for weight loss.
    58841349.png

I also am scratching my head on this one earl... You want to eat a balanced diet folks. protien fat and carbs....
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    ndj1979, it makes perfect sense because your body releases insulin (which causes your body not only to store fat but also induces cravings). The body releases insulin for the meal you just ate as well as predicts your next meal will have a similar carb/glycemic load and release a similar amount at that next meal. My reaction may be exacerbated due to my diabetes/dysfunctional metabolism, but... it certainly does make sense medically.
  • Mr_Knight

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs calories from your diet.

fixed it for you

You didn't fix anything - on the contrary, as usual you went and broke something.

OP is almost certainly not going to be able to maintain reasonable macros AND a caloric deficit without cutting a whack of carbs.

• ndj1979

fixed it for you

You didn't fix anything - on the contrary, as usual you went and broke something.

OP is almost certainly not going to be able to maintain reasonable macros AND a caloric deficit without cutting a whack of carbs.

she weighs 277 pounds...

by reducing her overall intake by 25% she will lose weight.

but if that is breaking something, then I would hate to see your fix.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    she was telling me to get rid of bread/pasta/corn and potatoes and all that good stuff. she told me anything from a box is no good, that i need to eat real food.

Thats what I did. I still have the good complex carbs.
  • WriteAndGetFit
    WriteAndGetFit Posts: 7 Member
    Hi OP, I know you're getting a lot of conflicting advice here, but if you do decide to pursue low-carb, just know that there are loads of people on here that have been very successful with it. I myself am 5'2", 35 and have already lost 50lb+. This link can help get you started with all the basics. What ever you choose to do, good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

So, you were in the ER and the diagnosis was chronic constipation but the doctor saw you were over weight and decided to give you some dieting advice as well? Oy vey.