doctor suggested low carb diet

Options

Replies

• dmb0011
    dmb0011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    carbs and fats just dont seem to mix well for weight loss, I've lost 20kg on high carb/ low fat, and i know people wh've lost weight on low carb high fat, whatever works the ebst fro you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Another thing I've found is that if I eat carbs earlier in the day, it sets up my body's expectation for more sugar/carbs and I was crazy hungry all the rest of the one day I ate watermelon at noon.

I don't know why this sentence made me :laugh: so much

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Follow the doctors suggestions...the doctor was letting you know that you absolutely need to make some changes to your diet to lose weight. When I want to be "full" I load up on my favorite kinds of veggies and eat the crap out of them. I eat fish and chicken and pork and Greek yogurt to get my protein. Best of luck to you.
  • pf1975_NW
    pf1975_NW Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I was where you are now when I started. My doctor told me "low" carb. However I have insulin resistance. You don't mention that as an issue. So this was the best plan for me. But again, low carb, not no carb. I am amazed when I see some people with single digit carbs on their diaries; I have no idea how they can do it. But good for them. However, I lost all my weight with 50 to 60 carbs a day, high protein and high fat. I was never hungry. But too, like others said, you still have to watch calories. It's just a tool to help you get there. And I have continued this way of eating after meeting my goal. It is a good way to eat, and It truly is do-able. There is a good website "authoritynutrition" you could look at online. I won't beleaguer the specifics my dr told me about the plan, but if you want them, message me. But again, I wouldn't suggest "no" carb ... go "low carb". Even vegetables and fruit have carbs. good luck.
  • ncbeachybum
    ncbeachybum Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just started a "low carb diet" and I use that term loosely. I did it because my doctor suggested it as well. I am currently on day 8 and I love it. I feel so much better. I know I am missing some key nutrients and I am currently researching how to make sure I'm staying healthy and getting what my body needs. I don't want this to be temporary, as I am making a lifestyle change. I don't need pasta, bread, sodas, fruit juices every single day. It will take some adjusting and you definitely need to do your research and maybe work with a dietician. I wish you the best of luck!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pf1975_NW wrote: »
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul

no, they don't.

do you have a peer reviewed study to back up that claim?
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever and whenever I want and steadily lose weight because I weigh my foods and stay honest about how much I am eating. Use MFP, log ACCURATELY, exercise regularly and trust the process. It will work!
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    dmb0011 wrote: »
    carbs and fats just dont seem to mix well for weight loss, I've lost 20kg on high carb/ low fat, and i know people wh've lost weight on low carb high fat, whatever works the ebst fro you

What on Earth???????
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs from your diet.

• ndj1979
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337

sample of ten...?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

What on Earth???????

He's kind of right. Probably by accident. The alternative is high-carb, high-fat - which means very low protein. And that's pretty much universally recognized as the worst possible way to maintain diet adherence, for most people, not to mention it wreaks havoc on body composition.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs calories from your diet.

fixed it for you
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.

Well, that issue could be caused by a lack of fat and fiber (as well as fluids) in your current diet so reducing simple carbs and adding more protein and veggies (as well as healthy fats like nuts and nut butters) can help deal with back ups.

There is a big difference between reducing carbs and going low carb. It is not an all or nothing thing. Try reducing simple carbs (sugars, unless they have fiber with them like in fruit) and substitute whole grains for refined grains. See how that affects your hunger.

I agree that you should see your PCP and arrange for a referral to a Registered Dietician who can help you figure out an appropriate level of all 3 macros for you.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.

Doctors need to be more specific as to why they want you to do certain things. My guess is she wants you to eat more fiber...you can get lots of fiber from fruits and veggies. (this will have the added benefit of filling you up more.) Also, the more processed something is, the harder it is for me to go too. As I get older, going at least once a day has become hugely important. lol
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

???????????????????

There is nothing wrong with balancing them out. I eat 35% carbs and 30% fat (along with 35% protein) and they mix just fine for weight loss.
    58841349.png
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    pf1975_NW wrote: »

Please avoid all carbs = drugs arguments, they aren't productive. Thanks.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

???????????????????

There is nothing wron with balancing them out. I eat 35% carbs and 30% fat (along with 35% protein) and they mix just fine for weight loss.
    58841349.png

I also am scratching my head on this one earl... You want to eat a balanced diet folks. protien fat and carbs....
  • LynnSullivan1
    LynnSullivan1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    ndj1979, it makes perfect sense because your body releases insulin (which causes your body not only to store fat but also induces cravings). The body releases insulin for the meal you just ate as well as predicts your next meal will have a similar carb/glycemic load and release a similar amount at that next meal. My reaction may be exacerbated due to my diabetes/dysfunctional metabolism, but... it certainly does make sense medically.