doctor suggested low carb diet

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs calories from your diet.

fixed it for you

You didn't fix anything - on the contrary, as usual you went and broke something.

OP is almost certainly not going to be able to maintain reasonable macros AND a caloric deficit without cutting a whack of carbs.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i was in the emergency yesterday and while everything turned out alright, the doctor had a discussion about my weight. being 277 pounds, 30 years old and only 5'4 i seriously need help. she went on a whole thing about how i need to cut out carbs and go on a low carb diet, that eating more protein and veggies will keep me fuller longer and help me lose the weight. after being on here i have seen so much hate towards diets like this. i am so confused as to what to do. I am tried the eat what i want aslong as it fits in my calorie budget, but have always failed because i kept feeling super hungry and would eventually go over. i am in desparate need of help with this.

Assuming you're eating a typical American diet, yeah, relative to what you ate to get to 277, you're going to have to cut a whack of carbs calories from your diet.

fixed it for you

You didn't fix anything - on the contrary, as usual you went and broke something.

OP is almost certainly not going to be able to maintain reasonable macros AND a caloric deficit without cutting a whack of carbs.

she weighs 277 pounds...

by reducing her overall intake by 25% she will lose weight.

but if that is breaking something, then I would hate to see your fix.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    she was telling me to get rid of bread/pasta/corn and potatoes and all that good stuff. she told me anything from a box is no good, that i need to eat real food.

Thats what I did. I still have the good complex carbs.
  • WriteAndGetFit
    WriteAndGetFit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, I know you're getting a lot of conflicting advice here, but if you do decide to pursue low-carb, just know that there are loads of people on here that have been very successful with it. I myself am 5'2", 35 and have already lost 50lb+. This link can help get you started with all the basics. What ever you choose to do, good luck!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    lol i wasnt going to post why i was in emerg...but i was having pain and they determined i was ahem....backed up pretty bad. and then the doctor was going on about this low carb diet and my weight.

So, you were in the ER and the diagnosis was chronic constipation but the doctor saw you were over weight and decided to give you some dieting advice as well? Oy vey.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979, it makes perfect sense because your body releases insulin (which causes your body not only to store fat but also induces cravings). The body releases insulin for the meal you just ate as well as predicts your next meal will have a similar carb/glycemic load and release a similar amount at that next meal. My reaction may be exacerbated due to my diabetes/dysfunctional metabolism, but... it certainly does make sense medically.

then are you avoiding protein too, because of insulin spikes?

yes, it makes sense for you due to a medical condition that you have. OP has not identified any such condition, so for her it makes zero sense.

• tloving3916
    tloving3916 Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I have to agree that low carb is a great way to start. I found I would feel fuller longer. It is really important to try to adjust your intake to avoid calorie dense food. By no means should you forbid it, just play around looking for alternatives that keep you full and don't have a lot of calories. Don't think of it as a negative, think of it as an exciting new field of study. Honestly, I am more excited about food now than ever before, going to the grocery store and getting food for the week is super fun! I love exploring new meals and flavors. It is much easier to eat similar foods for one week too, less planning. Just be mindful and enthusiastic about your new life style.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

fixed it for you

she weighs 277 pounds...

SAD is 50% carbs, 35% fat, 15% protein. For a 25% reduction, those numbers need to total 75.

You're sure as heck not going to reduct protein intake, leaving the other two. Let's assume the reduction is split roughly evenly across fat and carb macros, so carbs drop to 35% and fat drops to 25%.

Going from 50->35 is dropping carb intake by a third, which is a huge reduction.

Bottom line, OP ain't getting anywhere without cutting a whack of carbs from their intake.

• ndj1979
    Options

fixed it for you

she weighs 277 pounds...

SAD is 50% carbs, 35% fat, 15% protein. For a 25% reduction, those numbers need to total 75.

You're sure as heck not going to reduct protein intake, leaving the other two. Let's assume the reduction is split roughly evenly across fat and carb macros, so carbs drop to 35% and fat drops to 25%.

Going from 50->35 is dropping carb intake by a third, which is a huge reduction.

Bottom line, OP ain't getting anywhere without cutting a whack of carbs from their intake.

Did OP send you her macro breakdown?

• ndj1979
    Options

fixed it for you

she weighs 277 pounds...

Bottom line, OP ain't getting anywhere without cutting a whack of carbs caloris from their intake.

and fixed it for your again ..
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337

sample of ten...?

I found this telling that he didn't read the study but just cherry picked:

"It was shown that the intermeal interval between the drink and the meal was consistently longer after the fat-rich drink compared with the simple carbohydrate drink and that total subsequent food intake did not differ in energy content or macronutrient composition. Thus, in this case when timing was the dependent variable, it showed that subsequent food intake was quite constant, whereas the usual preload experiments show that when timing is fixed, people differ in food intake "

In fact, when subjects had the fat drink actually ate 500 calories more after the first two drink but this was not considered a significant difference due to the high variance. In other words the study conlcluded that the timing differs but intake does not.
  • pf1975_NW
    pf1975_NW Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    pf1975_NW wrote: »
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul

Please avoid all carbs = drugs arguments, they aren't productive. Thanks.

Don't advise me what to say - I am trying to help this person!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    carb timing has nothing to do with anything.

apart from when it influences eating intervals through hunger ....

graphic-6.medium.gif

http://ajpregu.physiology.org/content/277/2/R337

sample of ten...?

I found this telling that he didn't read the study but just cherry picked:

"It was shown that the intermeal interval between the drink and the meal was consistently longer after the fat-rich drink compared with the simple carbohydrate drink and that total subsequent food intake did not differ in energy content or macronutrient composition. Thus, in this case when timing was the dependent variable, it showed that subsequent food intake was quite constant, whereas the usual preload experiments show that when timing is fixed, people differ in food intake "

shocking...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The other issue with certain carbs is they are addictive - they give you a buzz and that causes the brain to seek more of them! So reducing carbs and replacing the white ones with brown ones (in general) will help.

Personally I low carb all the time but spike them post weight training to maximise the anabolic properties of insulin for muscle growth and to reduce fat storage - works a treat! This is just a snippet of what I do but it works and it's worked for many others too! All the best, Paul

are you going to backup your claim that carbs are addictive?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Now my opinion ;) -
    Probably the BEST thing you can do for yourself is use MFP to your advantage. Set up your calorie deficit, then set up your macros (protein/fat/carbs) to a healthy ratio (just shooting from the hip, 40% protein, 30% fats/carbs works well for most), log all your foods and try to hit your macro goals. If you do that, I would bet that you will see how imbalanced your current diet really is.

What your doctor is saying is not that bad of advice, but she is generalizing what works for her and what she thinks about you without really taking the time to get info about what you really do.

40% protein is above the Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range of 10 - 35% of calories from protein.

fair enough, but who cares about AMDR? People that are trying not to starve.

"Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Ranges (AMDRs), which aim to minimize chronic disease risk while maintaining adequate macronutrient intakes against the back drop of adequate energy intake and physical activity, were also introduced"

If you care about not losing muscle mass during weight loss, those recommendations are low IMO and in the opinions of many. You really need to quote protein numbers from a sports nutrition source since we, in this forum, tend not to worry about starving to death. That said, I stated that I was shooting from the hip. If you really get to it, setting macro intakes using percentages is not a good idea.

Remember that 40% of a lower number may still be less than 35% of a higher one (deficit vs. maintenance).
    Eg. 1400cal*.4=560cal or 2000cal*.35=700 cal. So 40% in this case is still in the range of the recommended amount.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    While there is a lot of good advice on this thread it also contains a lot of non sense. IMO (we all have them don't we), hehehe I would suggest you go with the 40/30/30 macro that was mentioned earlier and focus your carbs around complex carbs not simple carbs. Carbs are NOT the enemy but everyone has a different response to them. I lost about 60 lbs following the above macros. Calorie deficit reduces weight. Low carb helps to speed things up a little but 1-2 lbs a week is what you should be shooting for anyway. When I get strict with my diet...say before beach vacation I'll drop carbs to non bread carbs but I still eat my fruit and veggies. The main problem with excess carbs is your body turns carbs into sugar and any unburned sugar gets stored as fat. As someone mentioned earlier his heavy carbs come right after his workout. I do this too but EVERY-BODY is different. You have to find what works for you.
    At 277 lbs I'm guessing your diet contained a lot of unhealthy foods/ fast foods, packaged food and junk foods. If you cut these out along with Soda, cookies, cakes and candies and eat like your Dr said "real food" you will find that you are not hungry and the weight is falling off. Eating healthier foods will allow you to eat more food and you will not be hungry. Spread your food over 6-8 meals every 2 or so hours and drink lots of water and you'll never be starving. When we are starving we tend to make poor food choices. Also prepare your food in advance for the work week so you're never tempted for that 1000 calorie BK run that others make.
    My last suggestion is this. Educate yourself on proper eating. God has provided us with wonderful food but the fast food / restaurant places have taken all the thinking out of meals and destroyed our way of eating.
    Good Luck to you and God Bless.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

fixed it for you

she weighs 277 pounds...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the percentages always have to equal 100? You can't reduce your macro percentages by 25, they always total 100% of your total calories. So your percentages will remain the same, it's your grams of each that decrease. Or did I read this wrong?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

fixed it for you

she weighs 277 pounds...

Did OP send you her macro breakdown?

Which part of , explicitly stated "SAD" assumption did you not comprehend? Plus if I don't have them, neither do you, which makes your comments even less relevant.

And we haven't adequately dealt with protein intake. It really probably should go up, which means to keep things isocaloric, carb intake will need to come down further.

So we're likely looking at a 40%-ish cut in carbs.

And yeah...that size cut qualifies as a "whack of carbs"....
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

You aren't being helpful.