Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    ibnfaqir wrote: »
    Your diary is filled with garbage. You wont lose anything no matter how many pills you take. The truth hurts.

Here's the truth; doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

OP may be eating 'garbage', but if she did create a caloric deficit then I'm certain she'd lose weight. Granted, she isn't. She's eating more than she thinks by the look of her logs; "Generic - Tamale". No, OP, you have to be accurate. You're obviously not.

If diet pills worked, no one would be fat. Ask yourself this, "if diet pills work, why am I even here?". Might sound a bit intimidating but think about it...

There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy though. The immediate goal is dropping weight. But what is the end goal? She talked about being around longer for her three children.

Exactly.

In addition, junk food is high in calories and low in nutrients. You generally get a lot more bang for your calorie buck by eating real, filling foods.

That's all true, for sure. It's also true though that food should not have a moral value attached to it (unless you're talking about feeding the hungry etc) and IMO it's really important to be able to scarf a burrito now and then without having guilt throw you completely off the wagon. Food is just piles of chemicals, it doesn't have goodness or badness and it's not garbage until it goes into the garbage.

I'm not making a moral judgement about it, just saying that for a lot of people, eating more whole foods is a diet choice that is easier to stick with over time. It's purely a practical question. 400 calories of hot dogs/buns/sweet condiments isn't going to keep you full for very long. 400 calories of salad, veggies and meat, on the other hand, is likely very filling...and you might even be able to have some fruit for dessert. Which one is more sustainable and less likely to lead to binge eating in the end?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    At her current weight Suger can probably safely lose at a rate of between 1% and 1.5% of her bodyweight a week without too many problems, other than compliance.

It is HARD to generate such large deficits.

Any long term sustainable deficit will easily beat a larger deficit that makes things too hard and leads to giving up.

This is not a sprint and it doesn't need to be one in order to enjoy success!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Your diary is filled with garbage. You wont lose anything no matter how many pills you take. The truth hurts.

Here's the truth; doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you eat in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight.

OP may be eating 'garbage', but if she did create a caloric deficit then I'm certain she'd lose weight. Granted, she isn't. She's eating more than she thinks by the look of her logs; "Generic - Tamale". No, OP, you have to be accurate. You're obviously not.

If diet pills worked, no one would be fat. Ask yourself this, "if diet pills work, why am I even here?". Might sound a bit intimidating but think about it...

There's a difference between losing weight and being healthy though. The immediate goal is dropping weight. But what is the end goal? She talked about being around longer for her three children.

Exactly.

In addition, junk food is high in calories and low in nutrients. You generally get a lot more bang for your calorie buck by eating real, filling foods.

That's all true, for sure. It's also true though that food should not have a moral value attached to it (unless you're talking about feeding the hungry etc) and IMO it's really important to be able to scarf a burrito now and then without having guilt throw you completely off the wagon. Food is just piles of chemicals, it doesn't have goodness or badness and it's not garbage until it goes into the garbage.

I'm not making a moral judgement about it, just saying that for a lot of people, eating more whole foods is a diet choice that is easier to stick with over time. It's purely a practical question. 400 calories of hot dogs/buns/sweet condiments isn't going to keep you full for very long. 400 calories of salad, veggies and meat, on the other hand, is likely very filling...and you might even be able to have some fruit for dessert. Which one is more sustainable and less likely to lead to binge eating in the end?

Why make it hard on her
    She is trying hard
    And when she keep this up ( which i really hope) she will succeed and take over time wise choices too.

She knows that veggies and fruit is better to keep her full. She is trying and at her weight it is taking baby steps what helps a lot too.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Why make it hard on her
    She is trying hard
    And when she keep this up ( which i really hope) she will succeed and take over time wise choices too.

She knows that veggies and fruit is better to keep her full. She is trying and at her weight it is taking baby steps what helps a lot too.

The point is that is would likely be EASIER on her.

Really, looking at her diary, the biggest issue is inconsistent and inaccurate tracking. No matter what she eats, that's an area for improvement.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    But she needs time to change, dont you see thaqt.
    She is trying

I went cold turkey, others go step by step
    Others baby steps or whatever.

She knows what to do and what ill make her succeed she is working on it :).We aren't all the same
  • rhail6666
    rhail6666 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm using this app, a fitbit hr, and fit sticks. It's working very well for me.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    rhail6666 wrote: »

Not to deviate but what are fit sticks?
  • rhail6666
    rhail6666 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Jackie9950 wrote: »
    rhail6666 wrote: »

Not to deviate but what are fit sticks?

I messaged you about them. I don't want to hijack the thread.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    suger723 wrote: »
    Most days the only meal I eat is dinner I wake up to my bad habit a Red Bull and my phentermine, then I on my work days I don't eat anything during the day and when I don't know the exact calories I pick the higher option on the lists to make sure I don't pass my intake for the day

Ugg! mixing Red Bull with Phentermine would make my head spin! Phen is a stimulant and then you are adding a stimulant on top. That really is not a breakfast of champions...

I
    This!!! Never mind make your head spin - the two stimulants can cause anything from a heart attack to a freaking stroke!!!! Please don't do this - eat more meat and veggies, less pink lemonade and brownies, and log and weigh everything - your diary looks really empty some days.....
  • suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    . And I'm going out on a limb and guessing that since she mentioned everyone in her family is very overweight, that her children may be following down her path as well.

No, my kids are far healthier than I. Out of my three children only one has any weight issues. I have dealt with the pain, bully's and embarrassment far to many years to let my children go through what IVE been through. I don't buy junk food for my children. Their father has is the exact opposite of me he out eats me 10 fold every day of the week and weights a whole 175lbs of pure muscle.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Suger, you are going to have victory. Take it one day at a time. You've made progress and you can build on that. Consult these forums often as they are filled with solid advice that WORKS.

But please, stay away from anything Dr. Oz. :s
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Big hug-hang in there. You can do this!!!
  • suger723
    suger723 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    Big hug-hang in there. You can do this!!!

Thank you