Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

Funny.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

sounded more like another reason you should log cooking/cleaning....

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

I brought my mom into this after this comment:
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners.

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.

No, it just means that cleaning and cooking are NOT an exercise!!

The MFP Exercise database says cooking and cleaning are so exercise:

b0ab97bb304d34a76e284a4839d87708.png

It also lists "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet", "mild stretching", and "mowing the lawn - riding mower".

Not sure those really count either...

Hmmm--playing the accordion definitely burns calories! I have a huge old accordion that weighs more than 20 pounds. I don't ever log playing music though.

I think that music makes sense if you are performing--maybe not so much if you are sitting on your couch at home.

Rock stars are definitely burning some calories...that's why they are almost always skinny! LOL
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.

It also lists "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet", "mild stretching", and "mowing the lawn - riding mower".

Hmmm--playing the accordion definitely burns calories! I have a huge old accordion that weighs more than 20 pounds. I don't ever log playing music though.

I think that music makes sense if you are performing--maybe not so much if you are sitting on your couch at home.

Rock stars are definitely burning some calories...that's why they are almost always skinny! LOL
    That and the cocaine.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

My perception is that a lot more people need to get off their *kitten* and move.

I'm sorry, but if you are walking 1.whatever miles, you are NOT ACTIVE. The absolute minimum standard is 5 miles/day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've seen some dumb s*&^ in that exercise database. You can also log playing a musical instrument while sitting down or standing. We're not talking lugging a tuba around with a marching band, like sitting there with a guitar strumming some Wonderwall. Da *kitten*? Who logs this?

Likely the same people who go to a hatha/restorative yoga/mediation session because yoga makes you soooooo skinny.

There were no obese people at the ashram I lived in in upstate New York and many skinny people. Of the residents, no calorie counters. Can't speak to the guests.

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

Try harder.

Haha... gold star for you.

I said this before but got no responses... What do you have to lose by NOT logging those "exercises", besides MORE WEIGHT?

Oh right because you want a way to justify going over your calories so that it looks like you didn't on the app. Too bad your body doesn't do the same.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    The absolute minimum standard is 5 miles/day.
    Citation needed.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also, I certainly hope anyone who logs sex (or certain acts, anyway) also includes the relevant entry in his or her food log.

Random semi-related story: when I was in college I was on the school paper and would occasionally review the books that got sent to us, one of which was this dreadful book by an alum (Jay McInerney--of course this was the '80s) called _Story of My Life_, in which the narrator was a woman who had lots of sex but refused to do certain things because it supposedly resulted in the consumption of something like 500 calories.

I thought the book was horrible, but still for some reason totally believed this claim for some years, because it just wasn't something I ever thought to check. (Not that the narrator seemed like a reliable one, especially for scientific facts.)

Later (in 2007 or so) I remembered this, because apparently the narrator was based on the real life woman who had a baby with John Edwards.

[Edited to be more discrete, because maybe it's the policy here.]
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Try harder.

My perception is that a lot more people need to get off their *kitten* and move.

I'm sorry, but if you are walking 1.whatever miles, you are NOT ACTIVE. The absolute minimum standard is 5 miles/day.

Oh dear I am definitely not active. Walked no more than 5 mins today
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I've worn a Fitbit in the past, my normal "not trying to walk extra" day would be somewhere around 3000 or so steps. 8000 steps I could reach if I made it a habit to get up and walk around the building a few minutes twice a day and maybe take a short lunchtime walk.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Try harder.

I don't think that everybody needs to walk 12 miles a day, but 5 would be good...and it takes very minimal effort. Don't tell me you are trying really hard when you are getting 4000 steps a day. I'm old, I have disabilities/injuries, I have a sedentary job and I do a heck of a lot more.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Try harder.

I said this before but got no responses... What do you have to lose by NOT logging those "exercises", besides MORE WEIGHT?

Oh right because you want a way to justify going over your calories so that it looks like you didn't on the app. Too bad your body doesn't do the same.

Maybe you missed my post when I said I am consistently losing a pound per week, or the posts by the women who lost 96 pounds and the one who lost 35 #? We all log cooking and cleaning.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I've seen some dumb s*&^ in that exercise database. You can also log playing a musical instrument while sitting down or standing. We're not talking lugging a tuba around with a marching band, like sitting there with a guitar strumming some Wonderwall. Da *kitten*? Who logs this?

Likely the same people who go to a hatha/restorative yoga/mediation session because yoga makes you soooooo skinny.

There were no obese people at the ashram I lived in in upstate New York and many skinny people. Of the residents, no calorie counters. Can't speak to the guests.

For some, tracking ensures deficit or maintenance. For others it's a fortunate accident. For all the CICO determines the end product. What is the point you were trying to make with that comment?
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Try harder.

Maybe you missed my post when I said I am consistently losing a pound per week, or the posts by the women who lost 96 pounds and the one who lost 35 #? We all log cooking and cleaning.

You still didn't answer my question. I didn't ask how much you were losing, so I didn't "miss your post".

That will work until you get closer to your goal and you begin to wonder why you've "stalled".

Lose weight the way you plan to maintain it. Not logging those non-exercise activities.
  • fatcity66
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

That and the cocaine.

Very true...coke, heroin, or whatever drug of choice...
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

For some, tracking ensures deficit or maintenance. For others it's a fortunate accident. For all the CICO determines the end product. What is the point you were trying to make with that comment?

The point was to counter her sneering at yoga and to show that there are many paths up the mountain.

• DeguelloTex
    Options

The point was to counter her sneering at yoga.
    My fiancée does yoga and it can be very difficult.
  • fatcity66
    Options

My fiancée does yoga and it can be very difficult.

See my post above regarding Bikram Hot Yoga...it definitely has helped me lose weight. I wish I had more money, I would do it more. It's quite expensive, unfortunately.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Countering the "sneering" by insinuating that yoga was the cause of lack of obesity? An invalid counterpoint isn't really useful.