mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Because logging food matters, vigorously scrubbing a toilet doesn't

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

Everything?

What about using the bathroom?

Better yet, do you measure/weigh everything you void? I remember seeing something like that on an episode of Law & Order when the victim had an eating disorder.

• demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    Contrary to most, I DO log all of my activity, because I have my activity level set as sedentary. I also track my steps, and this motivates me to get up and move around as much as possible at my desk job.

BMR is if you stayed in bed all day.......Sedentary is higher than that.

Steps for different activity levels:

http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/rate-your-activity-level-based-on-steps-per-day/

Oh, how interesting. I call myself lightly active, but according to your link I'd be well over highly active (when not injured).
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

So CI is critical to <1% but CO doesn't matter. Weird religion this.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    It's a good thing I don't log sex...multiple entries a day.

Okay now you're just bragging ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

The point is exactly that CO matters.

Scrubbing toilets is included in the calculation already. People are double dipping.

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

I think it would be if you were on the "trying to gain weight" side of the fence rather that the "trying to lose weight" side...

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing I don't log sex...multiple entries a day.[/quote

Well you would have to remove yourself from your list
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

Everything?

Everything meaning activities in the MFP cardiovascular exercise database like cooking, cleaning, gardening, walking, yoga, swimming, etc.
  • kshama2001
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Everything?

Some call that heavy lifting.
  • KarlaH9801
    KarlaH9801 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do not log regular, day-to-day cleaning. However - when I spend two or more hours scrubbing walls, windows, and ceilings, you bet I'll log it! If my arms are sore the next day, it's exercise!!! :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

sounded more like another reason you should log cooking/cleaning....

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It's a good thing I don't log sex...multiple entries a day.

Well you would have to remove yourself from your list

hehe....
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You all can stand by what you believe, and I will stand by what I believe. Anything can be taken to a detrimental extreme. I am not doing that, however, and as I said, I am still getting fine results over a year in this journey of mine! I am in it to win it, and, yes, I am dead serious about it. Thank you for helping me steeling my resolve even more than it was already.

I wish everyone success with whatever approach they are taking, and with that – I bid you all adieu from this thread.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Exactly.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Because obviously no food has been included in the MFP baseline calorie goal, but some light level of activity has. Rather trivial point, actually.

I would also add that there is a higher probability of somewhat accurate estimation on the CI side. Trying to account for margin of error in individual daily activities when tracking CO, well that just makes my head hurt.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    You may not be getting quite as good of a workout between the sheets as you think. According to a study conducted by the New England Journal of Medicine, sex lasts six minutes on average and only burns about 21 calories.
    Who are these marathoners they're surveying to come up with six minutes?