Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

I mostly agree with you, but not here. I very, very rarely get 10,000 steps. My fitbit has 3000 as my goal. I don't meet that most days. I am a student home from uni, I work two days a week and going to and from my workplace is probably 3000 steps all together. I don't understand where I'm supposed to get my extra steps in? Yesterday I walked all the way around my nearest city - even up the steep hill (creatively named 'Steep Hill') and down again, shopping etc. I was out for about six hours. I still only walked 10500 steps. When I'm at uni, on days I'm in lectures, I walk to uni. Getting there is 3000 steps, with about 1000 walking around uni and 3000 steps back to accommodation, so 7000 is MY 'I'm alive and I left the house today'.
    Yes, 5000 is fairly sedentary, but not extraordinarily so. How on earth do you walk that many when home sick? On days when I don't get out of bed except to eat and use the loo (days like this make up about 3 days a week for me) I walk MAYBE 300 steps.

I seriously wonder what she does at her home to get to 6500 steps on a day where she barely moves. Assuming a step is about half a meter wide, that would be 2 miles walked... inside your apartment/house.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

I mostly agree with you, but not here. I very, very rarely get 10,000 steps. My fitbit has 3000 as my goal. I don't meet that most days. I am a student home from uni, I work two days a week and going to and from my workplace is probably 3000 steps all together. I don't understand where I'm supposed to get my extra steps in? Yesterday I walked all the way around my nearest city - even up the steep hill (creatively named 'Steep Hill') and down again, shopping etc. I was out for about six hours. I still only walked 10500 steps. When I'm at uni, on days I'm in lectures, I walk to uni. Getting there is 3000 steps, with about 1000 walking around uni and 3000 steps back to accommodation, so 7000 is MY 'I'm alive and I left the house today'.
    Yes, 5000 is fairly sedentary, but not extraordinarily so. How on earth do you walk that many when home sick? On days when I don't get out of bed except to eat and use the loo (days like this make up about 3 days a week for me) I walk MAYBE 300 steps.

I seriously wonder what she does at her home to get to 6500 steps on a day where she barely moves. Assuming a step is about half a meter wide, that would be 2 miles walked... inside your apartment/house.

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Try harder.

When I can barely get out of bed with a migraine -- and I live in a house with steps -- I can't imagine clocking that many steps. Do you set a stride length in Fitbit? Because if you do, I really have to wonder about that in this case, especially taken in tandem with some of the other things being said by the same poster.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, I certainly hope anyone who logs sex (or certain acts, anyway) also includes the relevant entry in his or her food log.

Random semi-related story: when I was in college I was on the school paper and would occasionally review the books that got sent to us, one of which was this dreadful book by an alum (Jay McInerney--of course this was the '80s) called _Story of My Life_, in which the narrator was a woman who had lots of sex but refused to do certain things because it supposedly resulted in the consumption of something like 500 calories.

I thought the book was horrible, but still for some reason totally believed this claim for some years, because it just wasn't something I ever thought to check. (Not that the narrator seemed like a reliable one, especially for scientific facts.)

Later (in 2007 or so) I remembered this, because apparently the narrator was based on the real life woman who had a baby with John Edwards.

[Edited to be more discrete, because maybe it's the policy here.]

There is an entry in the data base for what you're implying.

And I do hope that those who log such things log, well... CICO... calories both in and out.

It's apparently 10 calories in, if you're a heterosexual female doing the logging.

Heh, I actually quoted the diary entry from the original version of this post.

And then I got nervous that quoting the diary would nonetheless be considered obscene or something by TPTB so edited, because I do not understand precisely what is considered too obscene and not. (Obscenity, of course relates to "contemporary community standards," and I believe that those present where I live may not be reflective of the view of those prevailing on MFP, just going by the fact that certain words that are not normally considered swear words will be blotted out if one writes them.) ;-)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Try harder.

Abe-Simpson-walking-in-and-out-the-simpsons-7414427-320-240.gif

haha

I have actually gotten 30k+ just hanging around my house and yard. (Big project day.) If she's chasing after kids or dogs, I believe it!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Also, I certainly hope anyone who logs sex (or certain acts, anyway) also includes the relevant entry in his or her food log.

Random semi-related story: when I was in college I was on the school paper and would occasionally review the books that got sent to us, one of which was this dreadful book by an alum (Jay McInerney--of course this was the '80s) called _Story of My Life_, in which the narrator was a woman who had lots of sex but refused to do certain things because it supposedly resulted in the consumption of something like 500 calories.

I thought the book was horrible, but still for some reason totally believed this claim for some years, because it just wasn't something I ever thought to check. (Not that the narrator seemed like a reliable one, especially for scientific facts.)

Later (in 2007 or so) I remembered this, because apparently the narrator was based on the real life woman who had a baby with John Edwards.

[Edited to be more discrete, because maybe it's the policy here.]

There is an entry in the data base for what you're implying.

And I do hope that those who log such things log, well... CICO... calories both in and out.

It's apparently 10 calories in, if you're a heterosexual female doing the logging.

Heh, I actually quoted the diary entry from the original version of this post.

And then I got nervous that quoting the diary would nonetheless be considered obscene or something by TPTB so edited, because I do not understand precisely what is considered too obscene and not. (Obscenity, of course relates to "contemporary community standards," and I believe that those present where I live may not be reflective of the view of those prevailing on MFP, just going by the fact that certain words that are not normally considered swear words will be blotted out if one writes them.) ;-)

Of course, we're both assuming that said female is an 11 (as the joke goes).

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I seriously wonder what she does at her home to get to 6500 steps on a day where she barely moves. Assuming a step is about half a meter wide, that would be 2 miles walked... inside your apartment/house.[/quote]

I believe she is my upstairs neighbor. :s
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

I believe she is my upstairs neighbor. :s [/quote]

YESSSSSS...we have similar neighbors. And I often hear rhythmic banging as well as strange vocalizations at night sometimes...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hmmm...quote feature is not quite working correctly...tried it twice.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Because logging food matters, vigorously scrubbing a toilet doesn't

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

ETA - everything meaning activities in the MFP cardiovascular exercise database like cooking, cleaning, gardening, walking, yoga, swimming, etc.

Hahahahahahahaha, it's okay to admit you're in a dry spell.

I don't get it. I truly don't get why you'd log every activity. And what does that include? "Stapling report, .3 seconds; walking to mailbox, 2 minutes; justifying logging chores to strangers on the internet, 78 minutes . . . "

Lol, I just walked to the mailbox and thought about how I don't log this and have no plans to do so. I also don't log anything I do sitting, like justifying logging chores to strangers on the internet :)

Forgetting to log means I've been doing something but not logging ;)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »

It is also showing 1:58 as the last post on the forum main page, while yours was posted at 2:34. Looks like the mods are censoring cleaning the thread.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »

I believe she is my upstairs neighbor. :s [/quote]

I lived downstairs from her 30 years ago!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Maybe they're just really small steps.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

I don't think that everybody needs to walk 12 miles a day, but 5 would be good...and it takes very minimal effort. Don't tell me you are trying really hard when you are getting 4000 steps a day. I'm old, I have disabilities/injuries, I have a sedentary job and I do a heck of a lot more.

That's nice dear.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

Try harder.

The fact that you could barely move and that you moved 6500 steps....one thing means the opposite of the other thing.

Try harder? Judgmental much?
    senecarr wrote: »

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

My perception is that a lot more people need to get off their *kitten* and move.

I'm sorry, but if you are walking 1.whatever miles, you are NOT ACTIVE. The absolute minimum standard is 5 miles/day.

Damn and I thought your previous comment was judgmental. This one is JUDGE-O-RAMA!!!

Everyone starts at a different level. My perception is your perception is full of bologna.

And where is that stat that the minimum standard is 5 miles?

I think she's getting the 5 miles from the suggested 10,000 recommended steps per day, as these values are the same (unless you're short like me and 10k steps is only 4 miles), but I couldn't find anything on any government website stating this. The most I could find was 150 minutes per week of moderate activity:

http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/guidelines/chapter4.aspx
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    how dirty is your house that you consider cleaning it exercise? i have a 5000 sf house with 5 people living in it... and ive never once considered cleaning it exercise. LOL
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    fatcity66 wrote: »

It is also showing 1:58 as the last post on the forum main page, while yours was posted at 2:34. Looks like the mods are censoring cleaning the thread.

I wonder if they get to log it.

Only if it includes the use of coconut oil
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    how dirty is your house that you consider cleaning it exercise? i have a 5000 sf house with 5 people living in it... and ive never once considered cleaning it exercise. LOL

I log CI and CO. It would feel bizarre to me to do otherwise. CO doesn't only occur at a gym.

However, since I see other posters' point about not double logging activity that is included in Sedentary (although none of them could provide a link here on MFP stating that cooking and cleaning is included in this) I'm going to put a fitbit on my Christmas wish list, do the negative calorie adjustment thing so I'm not logging what may already included in the Sedentary activity level, and see what happens then.

Meanwhile, I will continue losing my goal of a pound a week while logging cooking and cleaning, as I have been doing for the past three months.