Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    LaarainNYC wrote: »
    I log things like cleaning only when it's out of the ordinary and pretty strenuous. I find that logging the calories is an incentive to move. However, I don't usually eat back my exercise calories. It's just nice to feel like I have a cushion. It's a psychological thing for me. I'm in the <30 lbs to lose club and if I ate back my exercise calories I would gain weight or at best maintain.

Yes, I find logging activity to be an incentive to move as well and as I said earlier, I don't eat back all my exercise calories so I too always have a cushion.

• kshama2001
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    NEAT: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12468415

This is what MFP is based on. Cooking and cleaning and gardening are included in it. One should pick an activity level commensurate with one's level of NEAT, unless you have a Fitbit. I understand you're probably best using sedentary with one of those.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Because logging food matters, vigorously scrubbing a toilet doesn't
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

we do it's called an appropriate activity level...if you want to log all movement there are sites for that I was a member of one once...no way no how am I logging "normal" activity everyday...and we can be more certain of the calories in the food than we can be of the calories from scrubbing a floor...or chopping a carrot vs turnip.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Wait, you don't log every gram of food but you log sex?

• Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

When someone ask me how I got where I am today, it will not be by cleaning and cooking!! LOL

By the way, I haven't set foot in a gym in over a year now. I walk 6 miles 5-6 days a week and weight lift in my garage. I agree with you that you don't need a gym to lose the weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'm uncomfortable logging the cleaning because it seems unfair on the woman who comes and does it
  • kshama2001
    Options

Wait, you don't log every gram of food but you log sex?

I do log every gram of food.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm uncomfortable logging the cleaning because it seems unfair on the woman who comes and does it

Well tell her to log it
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    [quote/] EXACTLY. I have 5 to my goal weight, and if I logged those things I would GAIN. Heck, I barely log exercise AT ALL anymore because there is zero wiggle room left. [/quote]

^yep. That's me right now. Not logging any exercise I do anymore. 5 - 10lbs to lose max.

• kshama2001
    edited July 2015
    Options

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

ETA - everything meaning activities in the MFP cardiovascular exercise database like cooking, cleaning, gardening, walking, yoga, swimming, etc.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

Oh dear
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Everything?

What about using the bathroom?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

• jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The thing is, this conversation could be about household chores just as easily as it could be about all those steps people think they should count. Any activity you did prior to your weight-loss initiative does not count and shouldn't be logged. So if you always cleaned your house once a week, don't log it. But the same goes for walking from your desk to the bathroom, or to your car at the end of the day. You were doing this before. ADDITIONAL activity is what should be logged.
    For instance, I now take the long way to get to the bathroom from my desk. I deduct the amount of steps it USED to take from the shorter route, and that's how I arrive at the number of extra steps. After I use the bathroom, I then walk around the building for another several hundred steps. I count these because I didn't do any of this before. I always washed my dishes and cooked and folded laundry--so I don't count it. But if I march in place for 10 minutes while I cook? I log that as a slow walk (2.5 mph) and I can get up to 60 minutes of that extra activity. This in addition to my actual workouts. All of this "extra" activity counts and earns me more food, and I've steadily lost weight this way and am VERY close to goal. The key is separating every day activity from what is new/additional/extra.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    It's a good thing I don't log sex...multiple entries a day.