Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Like, rallying, maybe. I could imagine you would burn a few calories rallying.

But regular-around-town driving? NO.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Are there any cars left in the world that don't have power steering? Maybe then you could burn 5 calories/hour.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Pcarsley wrote: »
    I'm set to sedentary and I let my fitbit handle the burn from steps. I do not log anything else I do in my day as exercise, unless it's a specific, dedicated activity, like water jogging, for example. People log a burn rate from cooking? Seriously?

Those bags of precooked chicken, frozen vegetables, and marinara sauce don't just assemble themselves you know

Indeedy :laugh:

I would love to take a peek at the people who log cooking as exercise... Unless you're doing jumping jacks while your chopping your veggies, and cartwheeling from one side of the kitchen to the other, I just no understando :noway:

I don't remember anyone mentioning cooking as counting toward calorie burn!!! Not really helpful to add fiction.
    There's the odd useful comment here but 3 pages of self righteous drivel. Not sure I'll bother asking another question, maybe just ask a real expert instead.

Chuckle ...kindly define "real expert"

I assume, in your world, it's not someone with real life experience and success, who has educated themselves by reading countless scientific studies and getting involved in heated debate around various theories ...bringing peer reviewed proof ...cos that's how it used to be round here ..not people getting hangry cos they can't log hoovering

That's the core issue with MFP ...there are so many people who can wear the expert cap and every single one of them knows a crapload more than your general primary care physician, nutritionist and/or trainer ...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary and I let my fitbit handle the burn from steps. I do not log anything else I do in my day as exercise, unless it's a specific, dedicated activity, like water jogging, for example. People log a burn rate from cooking? Seriously?

Those bags of precooked chicken, frozen vegetables, and marinara sauce don't just assemble themselves you know

I would love to take a peek at the people who log cooking as exercise... Unless you're doing jumping jacks while your chopping your veggies, and cartwheeling from one side of the kitchen to the other, I just no understando :noway:

I don't remember anyone mentioning cooking as counting toward calorie burn!!! Not really helpful to add fiction.
    There's the odd useful comment here but 3 pages of self righteous drivel. Not sure I'll bother asking another question, maybe just ask a real expert instead.

Don't get upset. Forums are both annoying and the best thing ever. Once you forgot about delivery of posts you will see that people have your best interest at heart.

Leave out the cleaning, and include all your extra steps. I never include school run as one its 5 min each way and two it's part of my normal day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Are there any cars left in the world that don't have power steering? Maybe then you could burn 5 calories/hour.
    I once commented about how a certain turn used to be so hard in a car without power steering and my son said, "What?" Had to explain it.

There is an entire generation of adults who never heard of cars without it, much less drove them. Time marches on! :)
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

Ummm you might want to go back and re-read the thread... Logging calories for cooking and cleaning was mentioned quite few time, hence why I brought it up ;)

And actually I have seen this on my fl. Cooking, cleaning, food prep, driving

I asked someone about the driving thing and they said that it was to subtract calories because their device logged the mileage as walking.
  • Zoejohnse91
    Zoejohnse91 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at an averaged BMR so, from what i understand, anything I do aside from sleeping is counted. (Not gospel - just how I'm doing it) :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »
    I have my calories set at an averaged BMR so, from what i understand, anything I do aside from sleeping is counted. (Not gospel - just how I'm doing it) :)

you what now?
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Zoggo1991 wrote: »

How many calories are you eating per day?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

Ah, maybe this explains why I log cooking and lose weight. Assuming you mean jarred sauce, I don't use any of that stuff.

For me, cooking = cooking from scratch. Chop chop chop.

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Exercise:

Vegetable peeling: 100 calories
    Sifting Flour: 300 calories
    Dusting: 400 calories
    Running away from Bigfoot: 200 calories

Only one of the above IS really exercise.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Exercise:

Bigfoot isn't real, so it has to be the vegetable peeling. I, for one, am encouraged to find out that preparing mashed potatoes is so good for me.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Exercise:

Maybe the real reason I'm losing weight despite logging cooking is because I'm running away from Bigfoot in my sleep? O_o

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Exercise:

*Dusting* will get me 400 calories? dang, who knew. Now I see motivation to actually DO some housework! :wink:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm always curious about people who log cooking - do they log sex, too?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I only log my binge cleaning, which occurs less than once a month. And even then I might log 60-90 minutes if I spend the majority of the day scrubbing all the baseboards, vacuuming and steam mopping every floor, catching up on the laundry, organizing the garage, scrubbing the stone tile in the entry and half bath by hand, cleaning out my closet, removing all the things from the cabinets to wipe them out, dishes, cleaning the stove/oven and microwave, changing linens on all the beds... you know, far above my normal laundry, dishes, and sweeping/vacuuming as needed.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I'm always curious about people who log cooking - do they log sex, too?

I sure do!

• radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    People who log things like housework and cooking as extra calorie-burning exercise are only fooling themselves, IMO.

Your body isn't fooled though.

Huh. I've always logged housework and cooking, and have lost 96 pounds so far. Go figure!

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to maintain a caloric deficit it is better to operate under a margin of error and overestimate caloric intake, while underestimating caloric output.

That and the amount of calories MFP spits out from daily chores is outrageously inflated. I did not burn 800 calories from mowing my 1/4 acre lawn - as much as I want to justify that 6th beer.