July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Flip flops are great, cheap and good for the feet! My traps were empty yesterday, but there is a storm blowing in now. Fingers crossed, I could use a date. = )

@419er Love the creativity of your name! Glad I asked. Thanks for sharing.
  • melaniefave41
    Options
    While I felt less beat up at 5am today I decided to take a break today and slept in. A little regret but more satisfaction about it than regret. I do need to get my appetite under control during this upcoming reduced mileage week. It seems to be rest days when the appetite worked up from the previous days miles kicks in so I'm trying to be extra mindful of what I eat.

Exactly. My rest days could more accurately be described as eat/nap/eat/nap/walk/eat days. No worries though, calories work like rollover minutes.
  • mandync5497
    mandync5497 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @419er my husbands dream job is missionary work. Of course, he and I are complete opposites, but the one thing we share is the similar dream job. Although, I'd like to have done doctors without borders (but I never made it to med school.)

For most of my life my wife had a yearning for missionary work, and I thought missionaries were weird losers who dressed funny and showed up at church every few years to show pictures of their vacation and beg for money. Needless to say, my attitude changed :)
  • melaniefave41
    Options
    @kristinegift Lovely picture! I've been listening to music less and less while I run, too. Sometimes I'll turn it on and just play it on low without headphones my last couple of miles.

@Elise4270 Love doctors without borders program. I work in health care and have been contemplating joining the peace corps.
  • 419er
    Options
    Another 7 done today. This is the longest I have been 100% on track with my Nike+Running coaching program - 2 full weeks plus 1 day out of 16 weeks.

I'm traveling again this week, which always messes with training. I may end up with 6 on the treadmill Tuesday, although I'm hoping to find a nice trail somewhere around Mall of America in Minneapolis.

exercise.png

• esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    7/2 - 2.34 miles
    7/4 - 6.1 miles
    7/6 - 2.94 miles
    7/7 - 4 miles
    7/8 - 2.42 miles
    7/9 - 3.56
    7/10 - 4.01

25.37 total miles; 74.6 miles left to go
    Yikes!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    419er wrote: »
    I'm traveling again this week, which always messes with training. I may end up with 6 on the treadmill Tuesday, although I'm hoping to find a nice trail somewhere around Mall of America in Minneapolis.

@419er, you'll be in by neck of the woods! How close to the Maul of America (as I like to call it) do you want to be? Will you have a car available? I could provide you with suggestions.
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 4.05
    7/3 - 6.91
    7/5 - 4.02
    7/6 - 3.05
    7/8 - 4.52
    7/9 - 8.37
    7/11 - 4.29

exercise.png
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 2 miles
    7/2 - 3 miles
    7/4 - 4 miles
    7/5 - 6 miles
    7/8 - 4.7 miles
    7/9 - 2.3 miles
    7/12 - 3 miles

I'm a little behind for the month. I had some moles removed on Thursday and I didn't get back to running as quickly as I thought I would (2 were in places that tend to chafe when I run). Hopefully I will get caught up by the end of the month.

exercise.png
  • Knyvern
    Knyvern Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    July 1 - Rest day (sort of - helped son & daughter-in-law move and clean old apt for 8 hours)
    July 2 - 2.2
    July 3 - rest
    July 4 - 2.1 - c25k/w5d3
    July 5 - rest
    July 6-8 - Camping trip with my girl scout troop lots of hiking but no running
    July 9-12 - sick
    July 13 - 2.8 - c25k/w6d1

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Flip flops are great, cheap and good for the feet! My traps were empty yesterday, but there is a storm blowing in now. Fingers crossed, I could use a date. = )

Happy hunting!!! My man is out of country for a year, I understand the need for a date ha ha!

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Arh getting behind on my logging! 13.2 miles yesterday and the ticker is updating properly now I'm at a PC.

exercise.png
  • 419er
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @419er, you'll be in by neck of the woods! How close to the Maul of America (as I like to call it) do you want to be? Will you have a car available? I could provide you with suggestions.

I'm staying less than a quarter of a mile from the mall. I will *not* have a car available, but if Uber is available early enough in they day I could catch a ride somewhere close. I do need to leave for Willmar fairly early.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Pokes in- caught up on pages 12-18- congrats Skip/Skips Mom- that's awesome.

I see a lot of "resting feeling beat up" which is good in it's own way- resting as needed is important!!!

I'm super lame- zero running- been super swamped with dance and stressed at work. I was really upset I didn't get to run this weekend - but it is what it is. LOL- 1/2 marathon training starts this coming weekend so I best be getting my ish together!!!

I think* think* (code for hope) I found a hill run location not far from work- so WINNING!

But wanted to congrats- go everyone for all their hard work thus far!!!
  • 7lenny7
    Options

I'm staying less than a quarter of a mile from the mall. I will *not* have a car available, but if Uber is available early enough in they day I could catch a ride somewhere close. I do need to leave for Willmar fairly early.

That knocks out my best suggestions (Circling Lake Harriet and/or Lake Calhoun).

This trail starts near the Hilton MSP Airport Hotel, is paved, and would be an out & back as long as you care to make it. Bad part is, much of it runs next to an interstate...not my favorite place to run. I only suggest this because it's very close and paved.
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6659668
    sz8t40bboeks.jpeg

A better option, just a bit further away at Fort Snelling State Park, are the gravel trails that circle Pike Island. Two loops would get you close to 7 miles. Beautiful setting! A day permit ($5 I think) would be required for a car, but Uber could drop you off at the gate and you'd be pretty close. I have a 10K that runs in this park on Saturday. Here's the trail I suggest:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6659675
    and here's a map of the park:
    http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/maps/state_parks/spk00154_summer.pdf
    o9a1hbuexqm8.jpeg

A closer unpaved trail with a big initial elevation drop, but then it settles down is here:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6659682
    It's been a couple years since I've been on this trail, but I recall it being a very easy trail.
    i24lhzo0jlku.jpeg

For any of these routes, but especially the last two, consider using a mosquito repellent. They're quite nasty in Minnesota.

I hope you find a route that works for you so you're not stuck running in place!

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/11 - 3.1 miles Strong Girls 5K run today. I don't have the office times, but I have me at 29:06 and Skip was 23 something, she forgot to stop her watch LOL. Not PRs for either of us but we both finished in FIRST place in our age groups. I'm so excited, I never finished first before and yeah for Skip who moved up to the 15 - 19 AG. Cool bling for the win, these are ceramic tiles, plus a gift card for the running store...of course we were just there yesterday and did some damage getting inserts and spikes for Skip. My Mom was at the race today, she lives in Tampa and it was the first time she saw Skip run, she's a proud Grandma!

o7rjjvno12p0.jpg

37.6 miles out of 100

exercise.png

Fantastic! I love that you run together and enjoy it together so much! Good job and congrats!

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Another run done, fingers crossed, running is going well at the moment with 25/70km done and another PB at 5km!

Also signed up for a 10km in a fortnight, which will be my first 10km and my first race since injury. So excited!!!

2rmiak25o8it.jpg
  • 7lenny7
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @419er, if you don't mind travelling a bit further, Lake Harriet is about 15 minutes away (drive time) from MOA, depending on traffic. There are paved trails that completely encircle it, and Lake Calhoun. Catch it at any place on the lake and you're good to go. Bikes & inline skates have a separate trail so that's a nice feature. These lakes are the jewels of the city it might be worth making an extra effort to go there.

Lake Harriet is 2.7 miles around. Lake Calhoun is 3.1. It takes 6.8 miles to cover both lakes, plus the short trail in between, and get you back to where you started. The drawback to this route is that it is very popular.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

I stayed near the Mall recently and enjoyed just running through "Old" Bloomington to the west of there. It was quiet in the early morning. It'll be fast, because it was pancake-flat.