SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    SharpTeeth wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.

you don't need to avoid sugar to be healthy.

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.

....... in 3, 2, 1
    Haha! I'm new here. I had no idea that was about to happen.

To respond to a little of it, the difference is that sugar which naturally occurs is generally found in food that is also nutrient dense (fruit, dairy, etc.)
    Sugar is sugar. Nutrients that ACCOMPANY it would be the difference. Sugar cane and beets don't have much nutrient value, but are still "naturally" occurring in sugar.
    If I'm not altering my diet in any other way, those little sugars I'm cutting out in non-nutrient dense foods really add up (breakfast cereal is a biggie, for example), which is something myfitnesspal is helping me keep track of. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, and obviously, it's not. I'm no harpy, telling people they can't have their apple pie.
    Which is fine, but still correct information should be conveyed.
    I lost weight paying attention to my starches and portion sizes, in combination with daily exercise. I definitely cut out nearly all sugary snacks and altered the way I cook to suit my new lifestyle. I absolutely cut out as much sugar as I knew how to at the time.

edit: To add, eating consistently no added sugar and paying attention to salt helps to me to feel less guilty when I do indulge on special occasions. As a friend likes to say, "I'll take my sugar in my beer, thanks."
    Sp in other words you went into calorie deficit, which is the equation needed for weight loss. Less sugar meant less calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    You seem really invested in my choices. Hm.

Nutrients make the difference for me in terms of letting the sugar into my life, sure. I'd rather get my fiber, protein, and vitamins from natural foods than from processed ones. I will still make good choices in terms of what and how much of these nutrient-dense foods I eat.

Less sugar in general means less calories. I try not to get the majority of my calories from carbs. Not spiking my blood sugar also means more energy on a consistent basis, and less cravings, which helps me be more in control.
    Lol, no not your choices, but your answers. The reality is that sugar is sugar and the main concern for most would be the total consumption. Getting it from natural or processed foods is a preference, but over consumption can happen from either.
    One can eat well 80% of the time and eat processed non nutrient dense foods 20% and still be healthy. Look at Asians overseas. Processed carbs aren't keeping them thin (white rice). Eating small portions are.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    For five years (no longer expat as of a couple weeks ago) I was one of those "Asians overseas". Are you unaware that there are different kinds of sugars? Fructose in particular aggravates insulin resistance. Asians in particular are lactose intolerant. I have lived in Japan, China, and mostly in South Korea. Those who eat at home eat a balanced diet of rice mixed with beans (a complete protein in combination), soup, fish, and fermented foods. Because this diet is balanced (and low in added sugar is part of that) the occasional indulgence is kept in check (which is exactly what I'm talking about). Recent rises in obesity in Asian countries is heavily associated with an increase in consumption of processed foods (which are often high in added sugar and salt) and an associated sedentary lifestyle (more school, more work, less time to eat at home.) Also it's a myth that Asians are naturally thin or something like that. The average South Korean woman is obsessed with dieting.

I don't really understand what you're challenging, here. I'm with you about a balance, but I choose not to get sugar from that which is added to food.
    Odd, plenty of Japanese people are thin and eating plenty of added sugar.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    IMHO, a huge difference between Japan and other developed countries is the amount of physical activity. A lot of Japan's population lives in cities where subway or rail transport and the associated walking is common. Some companies start the day with group calisthenics.
    Def true that public transportation is a big deal, and that I was far more active in my daily life overseas. I can't speak to what the average Japanese person eats on a daily basis, as I didn't live there long enough (was a student there). The calisthenics, in my experience, were more fun than rigorous. In Korea, stuff like eating out and junk food were definitely seen as treats, and the food was low and sodium and sugar to the extent that most stuff back here in America is still too salty/sweet for me.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.

you don't need to avoid sugar to be healthy.

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.

....... in 3, 2, 1
    Haha! I'm new here. I had no idea that was about to happen.

To respond to a little of it, the difference is that sugar which naturally occurs is generally found in food that is also nutrient dense (fruit, dairy, etc.)
    Sugar is sugar. Nutrients that ACCOMPANY it would be the difference. Sugar cane and beets don't have much nutrient value, but are still "naturally" occurring in sugar.
    If I'm not altering my diet in any other way, those little sugars I'm cutting out in non-nutrient dense foods really add up (breakfast cereal is a biggie, for example), which is something myfitnesspal is helping me keep track of. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, and obviously, it's not. I'm no harpy, telling people they can't have their apple pie.
    Which is fine, but still correct information should be conveyed.
    I lost weight paying attention to my starches and portion sizes, in combination with daily exercise. I definitely cut out nearly all sugary snacks and altered the way I cook to suit my new lifestyle. I absolutely cut out as much sugar as I knew how to at the time.

edit: To add, eating consistently no added sugar and paying attention to salt helps to me to feel less guilty when I do indulge on special occasions. As a friend likes to say, "I'll take my sugar in my beer, thanks."
    Sp in other words you went into calorie deficit, which is the equation needed for weight loss. Less sugar meant less calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    You seem really invested in my choices. Hm.

Nutrients make the difference for me in terms of letting the sugar into my life, sure. I'd rather get my fiber, protein, and vitamins from natural foods than from processed ones. I will still make good choices in terms of what and how much of these nutrient-dense foods I eat.

Less sugar in general means less calories. I try not to get the majority of my calories from carbs. Not spiking my blood sugar also means more energy on a consistent basis, and less cravings, which helps me be more in control.
    Lol, no not your choices, but your answers. The reality is that sugar is sugar and the main concern for most would be the total consumption. Getting it from natural or processed foods is a preference, but over consumption can happen from either.
    One can eat well 80% of the time and eat processed non nutrient dense foods 20% and still be healthy. Look at Asians overseas. Processed carbs aren't keeping them thin (white rice). Eating small portions are.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    For five years (no longer expat as of a couple weeks ago) I was one of those "Asians overseas". Are you unaware that there are different kinds of sugars? Fructose in particular aggravates insulin resistance. Asians in particular are lactose intolerant. I have lived in Japan, China, and mostly in South Korea. Those who eat at home eat a balanced diet of rice mixed with beans (a complete protein in combination), soup, fish, and fermented foods. Because this diet is balanced (and low in added sugar is part of that) the occasional indulgence is kept in check (which is exactly what I'm talking about). Recent rises in obesity in Asian countries is heavily associated with an increase in consumption of processed foods (which are often high in added sugar and salt) and an associated sedentary lifestyle (more school, more work, less time to eat at home.) Also it's a myth that Asians are naturally thin or something like that. The average South Korean woman is obsessed with dieting.

I don't really understand what you're challenging, here. I'm with you about a balance, but I choose not to get sugar from that which is added to food.
    Odd, plenty of Japanese people are thin and eating plenty of added sugar.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
    IMHO, a huge difference between Japan and other developed countries is the amount of physical activity. A lot of Japan's population lives in cities where subway or rail transport and the associated walking is common. Some companies start the day with group calisthenics.
    Def true that public transportation is a big deal, and that I was far more active in my daily life overseas. I can't speak to what the average Japanese person eats on a daily basis, as I didn't live there long enough (was a student there). The calisthenics, in my experience, were more fun than rigorous. In Korea, stuff like eating out and junk food were definitely seen as treats, and the food was low and sodium and sugar to the extent that most stuff back here in America is still too salty/sweet for me.
    Added activity doesn't have to be rigorous to make an impact, just consistent. Just 10 calories / day added in any kind of exercise is going to be a difference for 3,650 calories in a year, which is just over 1 pound of fat.
    Step count differences are huge from what I've seen of people in NY with activity trackers. A lot of people hit the 10,000 steps that are recommended in day, just getting into work, and then doing another 10,000 coming home.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LauraAC12 wrote: »
    Also odd they would assume you mean you are eliminating 'natural sugars' as well.

Why is this odd?

Surely people should assume OP knows how to say what he or she means, no?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Find what works for you, but keep in mind what you're describing is what a lot of people consider moderation and not a "sugar strike", so while most people are disagreeing with what they thought your post was, they probably would agree with what you're doing.

Agree.
  • Zia209
    Zia209 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am on the sidelines supporting you. I am a true sugar addict :(
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    LauraAC12 wrote: »
    Also odd they would assume you mean you are eliminating 'natural sugars' as well.

Why is this odd?

Surely people should assume OP knows how to say what he or she means, no?

The OP has not been back since the first post. It has now become about someone else.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has become quite odd. Usurped and odd. There are conditions that make sugar absorption an issue and which foods can be consumed becomes a problem - this is the basis of the FODMAP diet. It has nothing to do with added sugar, however. It has everything to do with naturally occurring sugars - fructose as opposed to sucrose, etc.
  • sweetbamaTLC
    sweetbamaTLC Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Decrease it. Especially the "ose" types of sugars that are added to processed foods. Real food is best. Get your sugar from whole foods like fruits in their natural state. That's what I'm trying to do. I've done it once and it was unbelievable the difference in how I felt. I'm in the process of doing it again. It's tough. But for me...worth it.

Sincere question because I see posts like this all the time: If you felt so great, why did you stop doing it the first time?

Because I'm weak! I never said it was easy.